Milk to be dumped in protest against new rules

webfact

2 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

UHT milk or milk powder yes of course. not fresh milk. 

Weird thing....

I have no problem or allergy to drink pasteurized, regular milk products in all their various forms -- milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, etc...

But when I got here, because it's so prevalent, I started buying and using the packaged UHT milk products from brands like Foremost and others for breakfast cereal and such.... Immediately, started having stomach irritation problems that I'd never had before, couldn't figure out why.....

Eventually ended up stopping using Thai UHT milk for other reasons (I had decided to switch to rice milk), and presto, no more stomach irritation.  But still to this day eat Thai Caroline brand fresh yogurt every day, and no stomach issues whatsoever...

Made me wonder if there's something iffy about the local UHT milk sold here...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the main point of the thread, I might have more sympathy for the local milk farmers behind this protest against their monopoly status if I wasn't regularly reading about masses of Thai school kids having to be sent to hospitals because of batches of bad / dodgy school milk being served to them...

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't put any sugar in my yogurt, and I make it 2-3x a week.

Pasteurised milk + live yogurt + 12 hours = yogurt

Milk + bring to boil + citric acid = cottage cheese

These are products everyone can make with no training, no investment and no special equipment

What yoghurt do you use as a seed? What about using Yakult as a seed?

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There are local brands that don't add sugar, AFAIK.... Yolida LF yogurt is one... Caroline non fat greek yogurt and pot set low fat are another....

Yep. I know that. I bought in foodland quite a few times.

Been here more than a week.

????????????

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Just looked and it appears a gallon of milk in the US is $3.50. or 3.78 Lt.  or 29.7 baht per Litre at current rates as opposed to the current average UK price of 34 baht/liter.    Are the US producers similarity being "screwed" by the supermarkets ?

The going rate for a 2 litre "cows egg" of pasteurised milk is around 89 to 91 Baht/litre - the UK prices you quote would work out at 68 Baht for the same container - so not hugely more expensive, certainly not twice, as someone claimed!

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Thanks but locally I might be pressed to get sugar free. 

You can make I reckon using yogurt with sugar and use some of what you've made for the next batch so it will be virtually sugar free on the second batch.

Wish you could do that with water and petrol. ????????????

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If they reduced the price, people would drink more.

Cottage cheese, easy to make.

Yogurt, also easy to make.

The only place I've found cottage cheese and sour cream is macro and even there it's not a steady supply

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Weird thing....

I have no problem or allergy to drink pasteurized, regular milk products in all their various forms -- milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, etc...

But when I got here, because it's so prevalent, I started buying and using the packaged UHT milk products from brands like Foremost and others for breakfast cereal and such.... Immediately, started having stomach irritation problems that I'd never had before, couldn't figure out why.....

Eventually ended up stopping using Thai UHT milk for other reasons (I had decided to switch to rice milk), and presto, no more stomach irritation.  But still to this day eat Thai Caroline brand fresh yogurt every day, and no stomach issues whatsoever...

Made me wonder if there's something iffy about the local UHT milk sold here...

I work in Dubai half the time. I have no issues in Thailand with milk products. In Dubai, I have similar issues to you in Thailand with various and certain milk products. I put it down to getting older and becoming less tolerant. I love Costa coffee. In Dubai, I can't touch it with and any of their milk blended in. Toilet here I come 30 mins later.  

2 hours ago, JAG said:

The going rate for a 2 litre "cows egg" of pasteurised milk is around 89 to 91 Baht/litre - the UK prices you quote would work out at 68 Baht for the same container - so not hugely more expensive, certainly not twice, as someone claimed!

2 litres of milk in Tesco UK is about 40 baht.  Loss leader

21 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

2 litres of milk in Tesco UK is about 40 baht.  Loss leader

1 hour ago, Fred white said:

The only place I've found cottage cheese and sour cream is macro and even there it's not a steady supply

Foodlands and Villas in BKK typically have a couple varieties of sour cream, usually in the small yogurt individual serving size containers. I've also seen a couple examples of cottage cheese, but seemingly much more rarely... But the sour cream seems to be a pretty regular, reliable thing.

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

I work in Dubai half the time. I have no issues in Thailand with milk products. 

Interestingly, I was having a chat with a farang bakery chef working at one of the Central Markets recently, because I was asking whether they were using palm oil (like Foodland does), or margarine or butter or what in their croissants and other bakery products...

And the chef related that they use no palm oil, and only use IMPORTED butter. And when I asked why not Thai produced butter, his answer was that the quality of Thai butter and other dairy products just isn't good enough for what they need, and that it's been hard for them to get a reliable, quality supply. So they use a French imported butter instead.

He said the local dairy industry is improving, and some suppliers are getting better. But he said being able to rely on Thai dairy products for their baking is probably some years away at least.

8 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

40 years ago there was hardly any real dairy products sold in Thailand.  Milk and its by products provide a high source of calcium and Thais made up for this by cooking fish so that there bones became crispy. Consequentially the Thai preference for products such as yogurt , cheese, milk  etc was not there so hence no demand.  Of course now with a younger generation, exposure to other foods as many Thais now travel, I guess has changed the Thai "tastebuds" slightly and real dairy products can be seen, albeit expensive, in several places.

20 years ago you could not buy normal pasteurised milk in Thailand and even a few years ago it was very difficult to find pasteurised cows milk anywhere. Now it can be found in most stores and even seven elevens/Lotus Express shops in outlying areas.  That indicates that the demand is there, or else they wouldn't stock it.  Yes it is more expensive than say the UK but I would assume that is due to volume production being not there.  Same goes for cheese. I actually only know of one small Farang run outfit in Thailand that makes its own UK type cheeses, again expensive but less than the price of the imports in the stores ( assuming you buy in quantity).  Again once or if Thai demand increases for these type of cheeses I would expect prices to come down if production levels increase.

20 years ago you could not buy normal pasteurised milk in Thailand and even a few years ago it was very difficult to find pasteurised cows milk anywhere.....Now Yer Talking Rubbish,I Used to drink a Litre a day walking back along beach road to my Hotel,Used to Buy A Carton of Foremost in a small shop on the corner of Beach Road & Soi 6 ....Used to be 15 Baht a Litre.....

1 minute ago, Nong Khai Man said:

20 years ago you could not buy normal pasteurised milk in Thailand and even a few years ago it was very difficult to find pasteurised cows milk anywhere.....Now Yer Talking Rubbish,I Used to drink a Litre a day walking back along beach road to my Hotel,Used to Buy A Carton of Foremost in a small shop on the corner of Beach Road & Soi 6 ....Used to be 15 Baht a Litre.....

What last week ?

16 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Foremost is made from powdered milk, it's always been made from powdered milk.

Right back to the original company formed to provide milk to the US forces in the 1970s.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the Milk derived products here in Thailand are made from Milk Powder. There is very little actual Raw Milk.

The Powder is imported due to a lack of volume in the Country

Imported = expensive.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Foremost is made from powdered milk, it's always been made from powdered milk.

Right back to the original company formed to provide milk to the US forces in the 1970s.

A bit crazy to make milk from powdered milk. OK if you go for long run , you can take powder with you, easy to transport and stays longer good.

But shops just sell milk directly from cows, pasteurized and all from factory.

I dont think the new foremost in Thailand is doing so, its now a Dutch company (Campina). I think they will still use foremost name in Thailand , as being known. But guess milk in Dutch ways, directly from the cow.

Of course they will have milk powder, as the Chinese buy it for their babies. WE had a situation in Holland of Chinese buying baby milk powder and sent it to China , We had a shortage ! Thats why, i guess, Campina bought Foremost.

Expanding in east, as we have the name of making good milk powder for babies, so good Chinese market and then also have a foot in total Asian market.

Ok just red, they all ready had by buying an Italian company in Thailand, Parmalat.

Well ok then they are even more expanding. In what way they are expanding, i dont know, as big companies do just all to make lots of money. Wouldnt be surprised if they export again to EU.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interestingly, I was having a chat with a farang bakery chef working at one of the Central Markets recently, because I was asking whether they were using palm oil (like Foodland does), or margarine or butter or what in their croissants and other bakery products...

And the chef related that they use no palm oil, and only use IMPORTED butter. And when I asked why not Thai produced butter, his answer was that the quality of Thai butter and other dairy products just isn't good enough for what they need, and that it's been hard for them to get a reliable, quality supply. So they use a French imported butter instead.

He said the local dairy industry is improving, and some suppliers are getting better. But he said being able to rely on Thai dairy products for their baking is probably some years away at least.

Why? If he contact Foremost or Parmalat, he can have butter in Dutch, EU way, i guess. 

Then importing from France isnt needed. Just get it right from BK.

Guess it will save him some money, troubles with importing, transportation, storage and paperwork.

Those companies are Campina, very well know big Dutch high quality dairy company.

Not im advertising , but just pointing.

10 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Why? If he contact Foremost or Parmalat, he can have butter in Dutch, EU way

I gather, his opinion is that the Thai produced butter is substandard compared to European produced products....  BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by saying "have butter in Dutch, EU way."  It was Thai produced stuff that he said they had opted not to use.

BTW, it's kind of the same thing with the mass market produced Thai brands of so-called ice cream. If you read their ingredient labels closely, they often have little or no actual fresh milk or cream at all, and instead are mainly produced from palm oil, a lot of chemicals, and some milk solids.  How they're able to call those local products "ice cream" is a mystery to me.

Dairy products are not really part of the Thai food program, nor should they. 

Cheese, milk, yoghurt, cream, butter ... all western food which brings a whole host of issues and problems as humans are not naturally designed to eat this kind of stuff.

My wife doesn't touch dairy products at all, she says its Falang food!

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Yep. I know that. I bought in foodland quite a few times.

Been here more than a week.

????????????

Perhaps it was your comment as quoted below...that had me wondering.... on your awareness of the no sugar added options here:

I'm talking about the stuff in the shops, even the plain yogurt, as it's called, is inedible because of the 15% sugar in it.

•  

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

much easier to import with a strong baht

24 minutes ago, the guest said:

Dairy products are not really part of the Thai food program, nor should they. 

Cheese, milk, yoghurt, cream, butter ... all western food which brings a whole host of issues and problems as humans are not naturally designed to eat this kind of stuff.

My wife doesn't touch dairy products at all, she says its Falang food!

I guess she does not eat pasta or potatoes either

11 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I actually only know of one small Farang run outfit in Thailand that makes its own UK type cheeses, again expensive but less than the price of the imports in the stores ( assuming you buy in quantity).

Care to share? It might help his biz.By UK type cheeses, do you mean Cheddar, Cheshire, Lancashire, Wensleydale, Double Gloucester,:  etc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_cheeses

Archived