Milk to be dumped in protest against new rules

webfact

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Most of the Milk derived products here in Thailand are made from Milk Powder. There is very little actual Raw Milk.

The Powder is imported due to a lack of volume in the Country

Imported = expensive.

DAIRY FARMERS are threatening to dump milk in protest over the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry’s new regulations, which they say has affected milk production nationwide and resulted in a surplus of 110 tonnes of milk per day or 3,300 tonnes per month.

Now I am confused

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

No Mate 30/35 Years Ago....

Well in the 70's I only went to Pattaya on about 2 occasions because my work was further North. However I did visit again in around 1986 and I am sure that Soi 6 was not as it was now with no shops on the corner. I'll try and find some old photos of the area if I have them. But as it say wasnt until around the 90's it became freely available in the main shops.  did a bit of research and the attached seems to back up what I was saying as dairy production, if you read through, did not really take off in Thailand until the late 80s so I suspect prior to that milk you bought was reconstituted from imported powdered cows milk.

Anyway can buy it most places now but still know many Thais who prefer the UHT muck from the real thing.

FYI

http://www.fao.org/3/i0588e/I0588E10.htm

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I gather, his opinion is that the Thai produced butter is substandard compared to European produced products....  BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by saying "have butter in Dutch, EU way."  It was Thai produced stuff that he said they had opted not to use.

BTW, it's kind of the same thing with the mass market produced Thai brands of so-called ice cream. If you read their ingredient labels closely, they often have little or no actual fresh milk or cream at all, and instead are mainly produced from palm oil, a lot of chemicals, and some milk solids.  How they're able to call those local products "ice cream" is a mystery to me.

yea it is fabricated in Thailand, but its not Thai, as the owner of those companies is Campina.

That is a Dutch company in dairies. So they, i guess, i would do it to recipes from the home country and therefor

butter would be the same as in EU.

THey have to live up to their standards in milk and other dairies, quality products.

I dont think they will let quality be low if you want to make it on market, then you go down.

So it is fabricated in Thailand , probably by Thai, but on their own recipe and quality ways, i think EU butter.

OK if the chef wants it from France, but it takes more.

I would certainly as baker try to see what is there, as i said it is not Thai ways, but Campina's ways, EU.

23 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I would certainly as baker try to see what is there, as i said it is not Thai ways, but Campina's ways, EU.

Are you talking about some particular brand that's available to retail customers/consumers here in Thailand, and if so, under what name?

Or just some kind of corporate, business to business supplier?

I don't recall ever seeing any brand name Campina in Thailand. And a quick search of Tesco and Top's online markets produces nothing under that name.

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Are you talking about some particular brand that's available to retail customers/consumers here in Thailand, and if so, under what name?

Or just some kind of corporate, business to business supplier?

I don't recall ever seeing any brand name Campina in Thailand. And a quick search of Tesco and Top's online markets produces nothing under that name.

https://www.google.com/search?q=campina+thailand&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=13762735,100562467,13825&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwiDjIfA6rHiAhWjPOwKHcYIB0oQtgN6BAgKEAQ&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:3&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m2!1d13.900854599999999!2d100.58141069999999!2m2!1d13.6246159!2d100.5435234!3m12!1m3!1d134019.6639070783!2d100.56246704999998!3d13.76273525!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i56!2i415!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:3

Parmalat i cant find, maybe renamed as well to Friesland Campina

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Most of the Milk derived products here in Thailand are made from Milk Powder. There is very little actual Raw Milk.

The Powder is imported due to a lack of volume in the Country

Imported = expensive.

BS, all the milk you buy in 7/11 ect is fresh milk if you do not believe me get your Thai wife, G/F, B/F to read you the Thai on the bottles it will say fresh milk.,

Thailand is in fact short of fresh milk ,as for the OP saying Thai milk is exsorted that I have my doubts about 

What is imported powdered milk is the flavoured milk in the small cartons ,in my area over 100 ton of milk is produced a day and sent to factories around the country ,At Mortlec in Salarburi Provence  the Thai Denmark company have a factory, I was there  last week and counted 10, 15 ton trucks of milk waiting to unload, and that was in the 10 minutes I was up they and they only use fresh milk no powdered milk is used ..

The Thai dairy farmers will get 17.50-18.50 baht/kg for there milk, depending on the quality and Thai dairy farmers have a heavy reliance on expensive brought in concentrate food for milk production as very little good quality forage is grown about 60% of costs are in the feed, concentrates s or brought in rice straw.

The price hike is  by the big milk companies, your CP and Foremost ect, which by the way use fresh milk.

They are no market for cheese in Thailand because the Thais will not eat it, it has been tried by the Thai Denmark company, they got a Danish guy in 20 years ago to try and make some cheese, he made some but the company found it had no market, the farang market being too small for cost-effective production. They is a Thai guy in my area making goats cheese does all right, he sends his cheese to Bangkok, CM Pattaya, all farang markets.

As for school milk, you have got to have the production lines for bagging the milk, not cheap to set up, we have two dairies's in this area doing school milk ,one is still going ,the other went bust, overspent on equipment, at lost a contract, I think it was a supply problem . 

33 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It looks like the company you're talking about operates in Thailand via the Foremost brand...  I've had Foremost UHT milk in Thailand, and it made me sick!

2019-05-23.jpg.3d7b916880ad2ff0d87ee6dd667ba5da.jpg

https://www.frieslandcampina.com/en/organogram/#/organisation/organogram/frieslandcampina-consumer-dairy/

Thanks, but no thanks!

https://www.frieslandcampina.com/en/brands/foremost/

1456422745_2019-05-2321_47_49.jpg.d373c0ab03d0926cea32097311095ac6.jpg

I think I've seen Foremost brand sour cream in Thailand. I don't think I've ever seen Foremost brand butter or cottage cheese.

When I search Foremost on Tops' website, for example, I find their product list to be about a dozen different varieties of UHT small package milks, and a few pasteurized milk varieties, and that's it.

At Tesco online, to my surprise, I did find a couple varieties of Foremost yogurt, and even one type of fresh whipping cream. But mostly again UHT and pasteurized milk, and a lot of it heavily sweetened flavored varieties. No butter or sour cream or cottage cheese.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It looks like the company you're talking about operates in Thailand via the Foremost brand...  I've had Foremost UHT milk in Thailand, and it made me sick!

2019-05-23.jpg.3d7b916880ad2ff0d87ee6dd667ba5da.jpg

https://www.frieslandcampina.com/en/organogram/#/organisation/organogram/frieslandcampina-consumer-dairy/

Thanks, but no thanks!

Well you should place milk in the fridge for keeping it well.

Cant imagine you would get sick of it, but many things can make you sick and maybe you are lactose intolerant?

It is Thailand and ive seen a fair portion on handling products, Thai are very easy in storing. Lack of knowledge and interest, i guess.?

Ive seen the meat in supermarkets drifting in ice melt water. Just wide open, you can spit on it or even put poison on it. 

You say you had UHT milk, so all bacterias are DEAD, guess you had something else not good and blame it on the milk.

Foremost, by the way, was the name of a major dairy products company in the 1940s, 50s and perhaps beyond when I was growing up in California. But how the name ever ended up as a Thailand brand for a Netherlands-based dairy conglomerate, I'm sure, has an interesting story behind it.

It looks like Foremost Dairies in the U.S. merged with/was bought out by the McKesson Corp. in the 1960s to become Foremost-McKesson, and then the Foremost part was sold off to private investors in 1982 as McKesson focused on its medical industry efforts. Bloomberg says Foremost Dairies still exists as a milk products producer based in Los Angeles.

This is the Foremost I knew...  "Foremost... California's favorite dairy foods"

482265559_2019-05-2322_03_36.jpg.4f44952c292dbcfab13e1d53248b005e.jpg    966795994_2019-05-2322_04_35.jpg.4e995d7628693d72cd776ed672b713da.jpg

1317275885_2019-05-2322_04_10.jpg.70f16e2d705fd689158abb1187c4fec1.jpg

5 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

maybe you are lactose intolerant?

Since I mentioned above regularly consuming fresh milk products here such as yogurt, sour cream and real ice cream without any problems, you obviously aren't reading very closely.

I stopped using Foremost TH UHT milk on my morning cereal, switched to rice milk instead, and the stomach problems (ulcer like symptoms) I was having disappeared. And have never resurfaced ever since, as I've avoided UHT milk.

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Very easy to do I know. I'm talking about the stuff in the shops, even the plain yogurt, as it's called, is inedible because of the 15% sugar in it.

Yes, the sugary junk sold in shops is opium for the masses.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But how the name ever ended up as a Thailand brand for a Netherlands-based dairy conglomerate, I'm sure, has an interesting story behind it.

The Thai company was formed during the Vietnam War to provide milk (made from powder) to the US forces in Thailand.

Archived