NCPO repression and abuses persist five years after coup

webfact

NCPO repression and abuses persist five years after coup

By Sunai Phasuk  
Special to The Nation

opinion1.jpg

Since Thailand’s military seized power on May 22, 2014, the country has faced unending repression of fundamental rights and freedoms.

Five years after the coup, Thailand is nowhere near the “return to democratic, civilian rule” the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) junta has repeatedly promised. 

The March 24 general election was structurally rigged, enabling the military to extend its hold on power. While maintaining a host of repressive laws, the junta dissolved a main opposition party, took control of the national election commission, levied bogus criminal charges against opposition politicians and dissidents, and packed the Senate with generals and cronies who will have the power to determine the next prime minister, regardless of the election results. 

The junta has routinely enforced censorship and blocked public discussion on the state of human rights and democracy in Thailand. Hundreds of activists and dissidents have been prosecuted on criminal charges such as sedition, computer-related crimes, and for peacefully expressing their views. 

Even those who fled Thailand to escape political persecution are not safe. There are serious concerns about exiled Thais in neighbouring countries. In Laos, at least two Thai exiles have been forcibly disappeared and another three abducted and murdered. This month, three activists were allegedly repatriated from Vietnam to Thailand and have since gone missing. Last week, a Thai asylum seeker was forcibly sent back by Malaysia to be prosecuted by Thai authorities on charges related to her involvement with the dissident Organisation for Thai Federation. 

Over the past five years, the military has pressured thousands of activists to cease making political comments against the junta and the monarchy.

Authorities continue to secretly detain people for up to seven days without charge and interrogate them without access to lawyers or safeguards against mistreatment. 

These abusive powers will remain in effect after a new government takes power, and officials will stay immune from all forms of accountability for human rights violations. 

The United States, the European Union, and many other countries have repeatedly said that bilateral relations with Thailand can only be normalised when democracy and human rights are fully restored. This means more than just an orderly election day. It means a political environment in which all are freely able to express their views without fear. 

The international community should not rush to improve diplomatic and business ties without serious discussions on human rights and the military’s prolonged grip on power. It should press Thailand to end persecution of dissidents, lift restrictions on fundamental freedoms, and undertake genuine rights-respecting reforms. Anything else simply falls short.

Sunai Phasuk is a senior researcher on Thailand in Human Rights Watch’s Asia division.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30369854

thenation_logo.jpg

56 minutes ago, webfact said:

Since Thailand’s military seized power on May 22, 2014, the country has faced unending repression of fundamental rights and freedoms.

why is it so difficult to believe and accept ? military governments are B A D

I suppose one could say the junta brought some stability to what was chaos before the coup. It's the subsequent cost which is the problem.

It goes back to Lord Acton's maxim " Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Well written Sunai Phasuk.
You should write a column in well known international newspapers and tell the world the truth about this medieval country.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The military has so twisted and bent the system that a constitution and following laws have been put in place that far from offering justice and good intentions has done the exact opposite. The constitution has ensured a rigged election and a selected senate that in no way serves the people. Laws have been devised that exempt coup makers from court appearances but drag any protester or critic straight into detention. What on the surface could be taken for "useful rules' are in fact just tools to silence bully and exploit. To protect and serve the few the huge majority of Thailands citizens have been made onlookers in what should be their country.  

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The junta has routinely enforced censorship and blocked public discussion on the state of human rights and democracy in Thailand.

In the Land of Scams the truth hurts so you are not allowed to tell it.  No wonder the Junta is trying to drive out expats who persist in spreading news of corruption; injustice and bad service.

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

And I think he really does believe he has brought "happiness" to the people !

Unbelievable !

He's surrounded by sycophants. 

He was extremely arrogant on day 1.

5 years later his hubris is beyond comparison.

I bet nobody has said NO to him in the last 5 years. 

These days the Nation pumps out these anti establishment articles on a regular basis.

Too little too late. The Nation and other media were only too happy to watch the junta stick the boot in on the democratic process.

Now they are complaining that things are worse not better.

I can understand foreigners not knowing how self serving the military are but for a newspaper staffed by Thais to demonstrate such ignorance of their own country's history is very sad.

Now you are brave and bold, well after the event. Well tough. Suck it up because you brought it on.

19 minutes ago, jerojero said:

The Military is supposed to serve the people and their elected government, not be the government. They don't have a clue what democracy really is...

Thailand is merely an army with a country attached....

Other countries such as Argentina and Chile have managed to get rid of such an overwhelming encumbrance.

Pretty scathing Op-Ed by Khun Sunai Phasuk.  I wonder if Khun Sunai resides somewhere other than Thailand?  My guess is less has been said to make someone 'disappear' than the brave yet cutting critique offered by the Op.  

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

This once Great Nation is now nothing more than a worn out old boot...

The term - Banana Republic - comes to mind.  Not necessarily due to it's economy which is far from being controlled by outside players, but more for it's political instability and political repression, authoritarianism, and military rule -- and of course, it's a great place for growing bananas!  ????

4 hours ago, CLS said:

Well written Sunai Phasuk.
You should write a column in well known international newspapers and tell the world the truth about this medieval country.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Pavin Chachavalpongpun wrote an opinion piece in yesterday's or today's copy of the Independent (uk) titled "A military dictatorship in Thailand is clinging onto power - with the tacit support of western powers". Well worth a read. 

4 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

He's surrounded by sycophants. 

He was extremely arrogant on day 1.

5 years later his hubris is beyond comparison.

I bet nobody has said NO to him in the last 5 years. 

Maybe his wife has!

The status quo may remain for a long time to come, with the social climate getting much worse.

Marshall law is not uncomman. Past history can confirm that.

Time to think about relocating to a place such as Cambodia?

A thought...

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

This once Great Nation is now nothing more than a worn out old boot...

Mok, at the risk of being accused of Thai bashing, when was Thailand a great nation and what was it that made it great?

I love the country it has its issues but as far as I can see it has been governed in this dictatorial way for, well forever as far as I can see.

4 hours ago, Denim said:

These days the Nation pumps out these anti establishment articles on a regular basis.

Too little too late. The Nation and other media were only too happy to watch the junta stick the boot in on the democratic process.

Now they are complaining that things are worse not better.

I can understand foreigners not knowing how self serving the military are but for a newspaper staffed by Thais to demonstrate such ignorance of their own country's history is very sad.

Now you are brave and bold, well after the event. Well tough. Suck it up because you brought it on.

The funny thing is, I understand the husband of one of the Palangpracharat MPs is a shareholder in the Nation Group and Chairman of the Executive Committee and Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors. You would have thought they would still be blowing Prayuth's trumpet (an unsavory image came to mind as I typed that). 

The fact that two of the basic human rights which people should be allowed in a developed country (free speech and fair democracy) are completely abolished here is scandalous. 

Minus the fighting, Thailand isn't too far from the likes of Libya nowadays with its dictatorship ruling. 

I pray things change soon and that it gets better because this is the only thing about Thailand that worries me, more like scares the hell out of me. I like it here too much to leave but if it gets worse and turns into another China or Russia type of country I don’t know what will happen. But I really like it here it’s a shame.

Archived