Junta celebrates its birthday while Thailand cowers

webfact

Junta celebrates its birthday while Thailand cowers

By The Nation

images.jpg

Five years of self-serving rule has cemented the military’s dominance with a fake parliamentary democracy

Yesterday marked the fifth anniversary of the coup that brought the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to power under a pretext of restoring order.

In reality, little has changed in the deep-lying disorder that sparked political violence in the run-up to the military takeover. The stated goal of returning the country to democratic civilian rule has not been achieved and the country is still as divided as ever.

The junta NCPO gave us a half-baked Constitution that failed to reflect the sentiment of the populace.

It was hastily pushed through with no input from people with opposing visions for Thailand. This flimsy fig leaf did nothing to hide or legitimise the naked military force by which the NCPO rules.

The Constitution then spawned a general election that was structurally rigged. The result is an extension of de facto military rule along with its host of repressive laws and a Senate stuffed with handpicked generals and cronies. Their first duty will be to vote in Prayut Chan-o-cha as prime minister, regardless of the election results.

Beside sidelining any opposing voices, the past five years of NCPO rule has also seen many who challenged the junta’s policies flee into exile.

The March general election, meanwhile, did nothing to unite the country’s people and heal the social and political wounds. Instead it cemented the military’s place in national politics and the politicisation of key institutions like the Constitutional Court. 

The country may appear to be transitioning to democratic rule, at least in the eyes of uninformed outsiders. But in reality, thanks to ground rules laid down by the NCPO, military rulers are merely exchanging their uniforms for civilian suits.

The past five years are also littered with broken promises. The pledges to enact political reforms never came to fruition, and divisions the junta was supposed to heal are still as painful as ever.

Meanwhile the 250 junta-proxies in the Senate will serve five-year terms, which means they will pick at least the next two prime ministers.

The NCPO tells us that the handpicked Senate is a necessary safeguard if Thailand is to escape its 14-year-old political crisis. In reality, the Senate is a cornerstone of the junta and its cronies’ plan to hold on to power for decades to come.

What junta members cannot acknowledge is that their long-term strategy and so-called achievements will come back to haunt them sooner or later. 

The Election Commission (EC) was supposed to ensure a smooth transition from military to civilian rule, but irregularities on its watch have unmasked the process as a sham. The EC’s failure to respond to legitimate criticism only further erodes the credibility and legitimacy of the incoming government, which will likely be led by the junta’s proxy – the Phalang Pracharat Party.

If proof were needed, the past five years are testimony that a military coup can never be a solution to a corrupt and flawed government. The only legitimate and effective solution is elections.

We may not like the government of the day, but tearing up the Constitution only to write another does nothing to remedy the situation. For evidence we need only look at the vicious cycle of Thai governance since the advent of democracy. 

The past five years was also an opportunity missed. The NCPO could have steered the country back on a democratic course. But instead its members and hangers-on became the key beneficiaries of rules and regulations that were supposed to restore normalcy to Thailand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30369853

thenation_logo.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A refreshingly direct article from the Nation, particularly liked the opening sentence.

They have had ample opportunity, to drastically improve people's lives, to have some sort of fairness here. It actually grieves me sometimes, when I see that some people - a lot more than in the West, have not had any opportunity to really improve their lives. Just continue to live by the day.

Shall we discuss this sensibly, instead of the usual " Well, Thaksin was a crook"???

Ps. Just off to McD's for a Milkshake - anybody want one.....?

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

The junta NCPO gave us a half-baked Constitution that failed to reflect the sentiment of the populace.

well said, thank meechai, whom at the time, many regarded as a good guy, and forget not the rail-roaded referendum on that little-understood constitution

1 minute ago, faraday said:

A refreshingly direct article from the Nation, particularly liked the opening sentence.

They have had ample opportunity, to drastically improve people's lives, to have some sort of fairness here. It actually grieves me sometimes, when I see that some people - a lot more than in the West, have not had any opportunity to really improve their lives. Just continue to live by the day.

Shall we discuss this sensibly, instead of the usual " Well, Thaksin was a crook"???

You say they had ample opportunity to drastically improve peoples lives !!!

Well they have done that, they have certainly improved their own and their cronies lives.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Constitution then spawned a general election that was structurally rigged.

Some fanboys on here, had me believe the election was 100% legitimate, and in no way rigged !

This news does surprise me.

16 minutes ago, faraday said:

But improving people's life is detrimental to farangs' interest. If the living standard of living increases, availability of cheap sex and 20 years younger girl to marry a 50+ farang dimihses

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well they have done that, they have certainly improved their own and their cronies lives.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Colin, you are right Thailand has gone backward just ask my wife how well her business is going. Going backward that is. If I could rewrite what they teach in schools where they say "The army is there to protect the country and your safety I would write " The Army was created to run the government and not defend the country :whistling:

16 minutes ago, colinneil said:

And....in my wife's village they renewed 0.5k of tarmac!

Big celebration!!

39 minutes ago, faraday said:

Milkshake for breky...I like your style sir....

54 minutes ago, faraday said:

5 years too late with their disapproval

This journo should be worried. Exposing the junta for what it really is and what everybody knows it to be is dangerous territory. There is only one truth when it comes to any junta and that's the 'truth' they tell you.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

while Thailand cowers

And thats the real truth. The people may not like or want it but in Thailand that doesn't matter in the slightest. Just make it illegal to criticise or protest and your almost there. The citizenry are already educated from birth not to talk about certain subjects and to maintain a rigid silence rather than speak up. Its not easy but the system has been perfected where a small unique portion of the population are completely dominant over the majority and yet no-one is brave enough to speak out. 

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

This journo should be worried. Exposing the junta for what it really is and what everybody knows it to be is dangerous territory. There is only one truth when it comes to any junta and that's the 'truth' they tell you.

I agree. This person should be scared as there is nothing flattering in the article and seriously points a corrupt finger at them.. 

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

And thats the real truth. The people may not like or want it but in Thailand that doesn't matter in the slightest. Just make it illegal to criticise or protest and your almost there. The citizenry are already educated from birth not to talk about certain subjects and to maintain a rigid silence rather than speak up. Its not easy but the system has been perfected where a small unique portion of the population are completely dominant over the majority and yet no-one is brave enough to speak out. 

We TVForum members are having a bit of a say (sure they are reading the posts), and also the English/Thai papers. It seems like water off a duck's back though.

For me, three of the most important things in life are truth, love and hope. Vanishing fast in many corners of the globe, but hardly ever got out the blocks in LOS (and not likely to).

Great article, just too little too late.  When cha cha first reared his head and opened his gaping mouth, including singing his own songs, most on this forum were shocked such a buffoon could be put in charge of the country.   Today, others are finally waking up.  It is just too late.  And most of the country is terrified to say anything. 

Althpouigh the article has exp;ressed what is rerally happening, one cannot but help feel very sad for the Mr and Mrs Average Thai who see bills rise, lack of any democracy and constant reminders that this and that cannot be talked about .

Army and in some cases the Police ( who were supposed to be reformed ) running riot stepping of the Rights of the people .

Good honest people poorly served. 

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

But improving people's life is detrimental to farangs' interest. If the living standard of living increases, availability of cheap sex and 20 years younger girl to marry a 50+ farang dimihses

Amazing post

3 hours ago, mok199 said:

IMHO the damage this man has done to thailands already failing image is nothing less than disgraceful..

As "critics" we can mock or try to shame him as much as we like, but he has no shame (therefore he cannot be shamed) and he will continue to rule with the iron fist (military), his Thai style democracy. And despite all his announcements on the world stage he does not really seem to care about what he has told others. 

Maybe this is what the majority of Thai people want or need - a modern day Feudal society? ????

Archived