26 week rule (Australia)

John Adamson

Could anyone tell me regarding 26 week rule, ( you are allowed to leave Australia for 26 weeks without loss of pension, although you do lose your concession card and any supplements).

Is this based on an annual basis ie does this start in January and end in December every year or is it based on when you leave as the start of the 26 week rule.

For example if I left at the beginning of October and returned end of March would that then be counted as 12 weeks in first year and then 12 weeks in the next year allowing me another 14 weeks in the second year?

14 minutes ago, John Adamson said:

For example if I left at the beginning of October and returned end of March would that then be counted as 12 weeks in first year and then 12 weeks in the next year allowing me another 14 weeks in the second year?

It's 26 continuous weeks from when you leave, whenever that is. It has nothing to do with calendar or financial years - https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/managing-your-payment/if-you-travel-outside-australia

Your OAP, minus supplements, continues indefinitely. Provided you have been resident in Australia for 35 years. I think you are confusing it with the rule that when you are absent from Australia for more than 183 days, you may be considered a non-resident by the ATO, and hence taxed differently on any income you have.

The cancellation of the pension card is an example of bureaucratic stupidity. I have never been able to get a straight answer from Centrelink when I enquire what I would use it for when I am overseas.

Archived