BANGKOK 20 June 2019 00:28
webfact

National park chief hunting Chinese "urchin bashing" tourists

National park chief hunting Chinese "urchin bashing" tourists

3pm.jpg

National Park officials in southern Thailand are hunting a group of Chinese tourists after they took several urchins out of the sea. 

They then bashed them and left them on the beach on Adang-Rawee Island in the Tarutao National Park.

Park chief Kanchanaphan Khamhaeng said there were signs in many languages including Chinese to leave the aquatic life alone. 

A police report was filed. The Chinese face a fine of between 5,000 and 50,000 baht. 

Kanchanaphan said that cases like this were always followed up. He thanked an environmentalist called Somsak, 38, for bringing it to the attention of the authorities. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-23

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Chinese face a fine of between 5,000 and 50,000 baht

Let's hope it's the upper end of that spectrum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I was expecting the article to be about street urchins

I did myself thought it was a bunch of Chinese Street kids beating up tourists haha

• Haha 1

Please lets hear from TAT if they still try to lure these savages into Thailand …

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A police report was filed. The Chinese face a fine of between 5,000 and 50,000 baht.

Correct me if I am wrong please, but wasn't a Russian Lady fined 100,000 Baht last year for feeding fish..........or do Chinese get a favoured discount......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So lets think about it...  just so we have an idea....

While laws do exist in many places against taking sand, the volume of sand on a beach is colossal, the amount potentially removed is extremely minimal. Issues such as longshore drift move sand in 1000's of order of magnitude greater than any impact 'tourists collecting a jar of sand' could ever have. 

---------

Ok - think about this... just so you have an idea...  

Using Koh Samet as an example as it has some of Thailands most visited beaches, it has 700,000 tourist visitors per year (and its where this extortion happens).

If every single one of these tourists took a 1/2 Litre jar of sand (500cm3) home with them that would be 350,000,000 cm3 of sand, thats 350m3 of sand. 

Imagine a 1km long beach x 35meters wide. 

The top 1cm layer of sand across the beach is equivalent to 350m3 of sand. 

Every single visitor to Koh Samet taking a large jar of sand 'could' make a 1cm deep impact on just one of Koh Samet beaches.

Not every tourist would take a 'jar of sand' - a debatable point, but for the sake of argument lets assume 1 in 10 tourists would take a jar of sand. 

That would be equivalent to 1mm layer of sand being removed annually from Koh Samet main Sai Keaw beach. 

But, not every tourist who visits Koh Samet stays on a single beach Sai Keaw Beach) there are 14 'white sand' beaches on Koh Samet, so the figure would still be much less than that. 

It could be argued that of Koh Samet's 700,000 annual visitors, 30% stay at Sai Keaw Beach:

i.e.  210,000 annual visitors, and if we take the same assumption that 1 in 10 may take a jar of sand thats 21,000 jars of sand - thats equivalent to a layer of 0.3mm of sand.

If you can follow the logic and the basic calculation you can see that tourists taking sand from a beach is completely insignificant. There are bigger concerns... i.e. resorts not disposing of their waste water, litter etc...  the Park officials are nothing more than money hungry, these examples show they care nothing of the environment and everything for extorting tourists. 

Damn I wish I could calculate like that 😊

its more the rubbish tourists leave that annoys me.

watched in Similan islands not long back at how tourists mostly Chinese threw crap away and didn’t heed one of the dozens of notification by tour and national park staff about leaving only our footprints.

its my planet to you crass buggers !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

nah... they are Chinese, a slap/tap in the back and all back to normal, keep in mind TAT wants them here, fines and police reports won't bring them back