Video: Snake catcher throws a hissy fit as serpent refuses to go quietly!

webfact

Video: Snake catcher throws a hissy fit as serpent refuses to go quietly!

5pm.jpg
Screams ring out

A snake catching video was being shared widely on Thai social media due to the actions of one member of the crew. 

As the snake - not a big one by Thai standards - got loose the rescue worker threw what could only be described as a hissy fit. 

Thai Rath in mitigation said that snake catching was not an easy business.....

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-23

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

As the snake - not a big one by Thai standards - got loose the rescue worker threw what could only be described as a hissy fit. 

Not sure it can ''only'' be described as a hissy fit...

2 hours ago, Adventra20 said:

That wasn’t a hissy fit.  That was a Sh.t scared yelling fit.  Hissy fit is when your angry. He was scared. 

Like when you're really hissed at someone....????.

Hissy fit?  I don't think the person who wrote the article has a very good handle on English slang. A check on the internet that would take all of 10 or so seconds would have made him or her aware that the expression means having a tantrum, as in how a little child handles anger. The unnerved snake catcher was showing "panic" -- not having a hissy fit. 

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not sure it can ''only'' be described as a hissy fit...

Great headline, but would have packed more punch without the add-on "as serpent refuses to go quietly".

Reminds me of my old days on a tabloid subs' desk. We used to spend hours thinking up puns and cliches for every occasion. Enormous fun. 

49 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Pretty sure webfact headline was at least partially a pun as snakes sometimes hiss.

I guess so. Had the person making up the headline put the expression in question between quotation marks, the intention of creating a pun would be clear, but as it stands, it only looks like a misuse of the term. 

1 hour ago, Inn Between said:

I guess so. Had the person making up the headline put the expression in question between quotation marks, the intention of creating a pun would be clear, but as it stands, it only looks like a misuse of the term. 

You're right, the term probably was misused. An essential component of the definition of "hissy fit" is a display of anger, an emotion the snake catcher doesn't really show. He does throw up his hands and run away in a somewhat effeminate manner. The writer may have used the term "hissy fit" in an effort to draw attention to his slightly histrionic behavior, but you're right in saying that his behavior doesn't fully fit the definition of the term.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

You're right, the term probably was misused. An essential component of the definition of "hissy fit" is a display of anger, an emotion the snake catcher doesn't really show. He does throw up his hands and run away in a somewhat effeminate manner. The writer may have used the term "hissy fit" in an effort to draw attention to his slightly histrionic behavior, but you're right in saying that his behavior doesn't fully fit the definition of the term.

Ya, it would have been more accurate to label the snake as having a hissy fit, but I don't think that's really true either. The snake was acting in a very appropriate manner, trying to avoid being the main feature in a pot of stew.

As for the terrified snake catcher, with the way he took off, I suspect he's still running. Perhaps he should consider a chance of occupation. 

Archived