BANGKOK 26 June 2019 10:39
webfact

Video: Snake catcher throws a hissy fit as serpent refuses to go quietly!

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

As the snake - not a big one by Thai standards - got loose the rescue worker threw what could only be described as a hissy fit. 

Not sure it can ''only'' be described as a hissy fit...

• Like 1

"Thai Rath in mitigation said that snake catching was not an easy business....."

It would be a lot easier if they were some what professional and had some proper equipment.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure I could not have done a better job from 10km away🤔 

Edited by sammieuk1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adventra20 said:

That wasn’t a hissy fit.  That was a Sh.t scared yelling fit.  Hissy fit is when your angry. He was scared. 

Like when you're really hissed at someone....😉.

Exactly the reaction I would have in that situation.

Happily this is a job almost certainly reserved for Thai nationals, so no 

chance of me getting a work permit!

Hissy fit?  I don't think the person who wrote the article has a very good handle on English slang. A check on the internet that would take all of 10 or so seconds would have made him or her aware that the expression means having a tantrum, as in how a little child handles anger. The unnerved snake catcher was showing "panic" -- not having a hissy fit. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not sure it can ''only'' be described as a hissy fit...

Great headline, but would have packed more punch without the add-on "as serpent refuses to go quietly".

Reminds me of my old days on a tabloid subs' desk. We used to spend hours thinking up puns and cliches for every occasion. Enormous fun. 

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Haha 1

I would have bolted upon seeing the snake

My last words to wife and family would have been Far Queue :unsure:

49 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Pretty sure webfact headline was at least partially a pun as snakes sometimes hiss.

I guess so. Had the person making up the headline put the expression in question between quotation marks, the intention of creating a pun would be clear, but as it stands, it only looks like a misuse of the term. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Inn Between said:

I guess so. Had the person making up the headline put the expression in question between quotation marks, the intention of creating a pun would be clear, but as it stands, it only looks like a misuse of the term. 

You're right, the term probably was misused. An essential component of the definition of "hissy fit" is a display of anger, an emotion the snake catcher doesn't really show. He does throw up his hands and run away in a somewhat effeminate manner. The writer may have used the term "hissy fit" in an effort to draw attention to his slightly histrionic behavior, but you're right in saying that his behavior doesn't fully fit the definition of the term.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1