Massive corruption unearthed in flouting of building and safety regulations

webfact

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

My only surprise it that it didn't take a tragedy like a condo block collapsing for this to be brought under inspection.

Ought to be interesting when one of these condos or hotels collapses and is filled to the brim with Chinese. Don't know who will howl the loudest, angry Chinese or groveling Thai officials.

Corruption is endemic throughout Thai society. Every Thai knows that the only way to find a 'lost' document is to hand over money. Ah!!!! here it is. Rotten top to bottom. The corruption in this article, however, is chicken's feed when one looks further up the ladder.

OH >> I am shocked at this, maybe, just maybe there could be a beginning to the end of this?

Perhaps if they prosecuted not only those receiving the payments, but those who made they payments to send a clear message.

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

OH >> I am shocked at this, maybe, just maybe there could be a beginning to the end of this?

Perhaps if they prosecuted not only those receiving the payments, but those who made they payments to send a clear message.

There's often no choice as to pay, you simply get blackmailed into doing it. Want that building permit or hotel license? Want to do due diligence on a chanote history?

Pay or otherwise it takes 5 years or longer even if everything is correct, legit and in order.... 

business as usual!!!!

do you expect any thing less???

surprise, surprise, the norm is still working!!

does any one really expect any thing to change, this is normal Thai. business!!

chalk one up for normal business!!!!!!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

This involved the wholesale flouting of planning, building and safety regulations. 

As that's the same result with Prayut invoking Article 44 for projects, can it be said that Prayut's actions invite 'massive corruption' as well?

6 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

What ? simply astounded they have found massive corruption in local councils. Unbelievable !!! Should have been reported as "corruption of epic proportions surely" ?

No different to Australia right up to Planning Minister level. But they are more discreet over there.

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Not a Snowballs chance in hell !

The New World Department Store in Bangkok, not far from Khao San Road on Samsen Road, is a perfect example of this.  Originally it was a three floor shopping center and then they decided to illegally add eight more floors to the building without the proper permits.  It's been shut down for about 20 years now after going through a long battle to stay open. 

It isn't just that corruption exists in Thailand, it's that the corruption exists at all levels. How can the Generals and their HISO wives dress as they do, have the billion baht homes, multi million baht cars, spoiled rotten children drugging it up in foreign schools who, given time, will come home and take over the corrupted wealth of their parents. Esnotmybusnesman.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:49 PM, ezzra said:

Should hell freezes over and i'll grow a thick bushy crop of hair tomorrow, i'll be not as surprise to read about a 'massive corruptions' in Thailand, this country runs and thrive of payola and backhands dealings, i dare say that if it stops, the economy will collapse...

The estimate I heard from our legal/ government relations group is that 30-40% of every baht spent in Thailand is siphoned off for some type of corruption or another.  Everything from blatant payola to exclusive licenses for the Elite to trade in many products that make up the backbone of the Thai economy.

I think 30-40% was a little on the low side...

Archived