Win 10 1903 upgrade

MikeandDow

I upgraded a couple of weeks ago through the insider program and everything seems to be OK, no major problems anyway. It could just have been me, but it won't harm to go into Device Manager and try to update your graphic drivers. Both mine updated, but that could just have been me being lazy and not checking. This happened on my notebook but not on my PC.

One other change I found that stands out is the layout of the 'Download' system folder in the 'List' view. On my computer anyway they now have alphabetic columns which I can't get rid of as I don't like them. Seems to be the only folder affected and yes, granted I might have hit a wrong button or something. If anyone knows how to get rid of these it would be a big appreciation. I do try to keep this folder empty(ish) and it is mapped off C to my E drive, but that shouldn't matter as the rest of the standard system folders are also mapped to E and don't show this format. Snap below:

1762038505_downloadfolder.jpg.97fc81f783c258056a8831f6ceee4d78.jpg

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

I upgraded a couple of weeks ago through the insider program and everything seems to be OK, no major problems anyway. It could just have been me, but it won't harm to go into Device Manager and try to update your graphic drivers. Both mine updated, but that could just have been me being lazy and not checking. This happened on my notebook but not on my PC.

One other change I found that stands out is the layout of the 'Download' system folder in the 'List' view. On my computer anyway they now have alphabetic columns which I can't get rid of as I don't like them. Seems to be the only folder affected and yes, granted I might have hit a wrong button or something. If anyone knows how to get rid of these it would be a big appreciation. I do try to keep this folder empty(ish) and it is mapped off C to my E drive, but that shouldn't matter as the rest of the standard system folders are also mapped to E and don't show this format. Snap below:

1762038505_downloadfolder.jpg.97fc81f783c258056a8831f6ceee4d78.jpg

... yes, klick the 'View' tab top left corner in file explorer, then open 'Group by' dropdown menu and choose (None) ... 

1643425512_Folders--view--groupby.JPG.446dd032d7acb6c0fba15bc9488e6665.JPG

23 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

image.png.1317ccaab0dbfd23ec1042d3b69d4a9a.png

this is mine  no problems    i would be looking in the view sections 

the update official came out on the 21st     afraid like to wait have had problems in the past with insider downloads

Yes, agree that the best policy is to wait for all the bugs to get sorted out and to avoid the insider program unless you are going to contribute with the testing.

Unfortunately I am looking after 60+ PCs  and notebooks which are all running on W10 and need to get a preview on working machines in the operating areas in case there is something major wrong that could upset the running of the company. I would rather having a failure on one of my computers than in accounts or with one of the techs onsite doing commissioning or even maintenance.

Rock and a hard place.....................:wink:

7 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... yes, klick the 'View' tab top left corner in file explorer, then open 'Group by' dropdown menu and choose (None) ... 

1643425512_Folders--view--groupby.JPG.446dd032d7acb6c0fba15bc9488e6665.JPG

Cheers jollyhangmon, worked a treat. I normally have the ribbon hidden and couldn't see the 'Group by' drop-down.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

I tried it. Neither of my video cards worked properly with it in spite of having the most recent drivers. So I rolled back immediately (roll back worked fine).

That's likely because Windows installed it's own Drivers instead of your proprietary Drivers. So try un-installing whatever they installed and install your own.

4 hours ago, JamJar said:

That's likely because Windows installed it's own Drivers instead of your proprietary Drivers. So try un-installing whatever they installed and install your own.

No, I did put the proper drivers in myself so it wasnt that. It was easier to roll back than to look any further into it. I will wait until the manufacturers put out newer drivers as I cant be the only person with the problem.

One of the problems MS had with this upgrade (1903) and the main reason they deferred it, was that the system couldn't remember the drive letters or that it would intermittently change them. This obviously becomes a problem when for example, someone is backing up to an external and the information given to the software doesn't match with the destination drive.

I haven't seen this happen but it is worth checking to see if you are affected. That said, they could have fixed this as there have been quite a few updates released since installing and they are starting the roll-out once again. 

3 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

One of the problems MS had with this upgrade (1903) and the main reason they deferred it, was that the system couldn't remember the drive letters or that it would intermittently change them. This obviously becomes a problem when for example, someone is backing up to an external and the information given to the software doesn't match with the destination drive.

I haven't seen this happen but it is worth checking to see if you are affected. That said, they could have fixed this as there have been quite a few updates released since installing and they are starting the roll-out once again. 

I did read somewhere that you should disconnect all USB drives before doing the update.

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I did read somewhere that you should disconnect all USB drives before doing the update.

Yep, certainly wouldn't hinder the process; IMO this should be standard practice for all upgrades or clean installs.

As I understand it, and I could be wrong here, the problem was occurring after booting in that the system wasn't retaining the drive letter sequence.  

Below MS webpage lists known issues/bugs with the just released to public 1903.  I'll give MS another month to fix more of the bugs.  With these major semi-annual upgrades I prefer to wait for approx one month before upgrading.  Since I use Win 10 Pro I can easily delay Feature Update (i.e., major upgrades) for up to 45 days.....right now I have it set to 30 days.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903#426msgdesc

... here 2 ways to delay updates on HOME version too:

<> apparently this update requires 32GB free space as opposed to the 20 required so far - now, I have a tablet that runs on WIN10, onboard only 64GB, right now just 24 free, so far nothing doing, no message re ´lack of space for update´, let's see ...

<> if you only connect via wifi then you could set your allowed data-limit very low, like couple MB, and you will be asked before download of updates if you wish to proceed (also goes for the rather tiny definition updates for Defender for example) ... careful, you set the date for your limit but it would reset monthly if you don't set it ´indefinitely´! 

I updated yesterday (Win 10 Pro on a Surface Pro 6) and all went well.  (So far...)

I've been getting ready to do my annual Windows reinstall, so I downloaded the .ISO for Win 10 v.1903.  I used it for the update, but I wanted the .ISO mainly for doing a total wipe-and-reinstall in the near future.  Gives me a chance to see if I want to reinstall v.1903 or the previous version.

Installed 1903 on two PCs yesterday. One is a Asus 556K laptop 3 years old with a SSD drive and he other is a 4 year old MSI Windbox 111 with SSD drive. Both installs went well. No obvious issues encountered or after the re-starts.

Today will do another Windbox with SSD and my main HP desktop,,,,,,I expect they will go as well as yesterday.

These so called major Win 10 upgrades every 6 months has gotten old. It's like drama, and for some, headaches every 6 months. Wish MS would just take baby steps in improvements by inclusion in the monthly cumulative updates.

Did it and lived.  1803 to 1903 Home Edition.

Took about 1 hour for phase 1, then about .5 hr for phase 2, restarting a few times.

Was a little sluggish at first, even after disk and reg cleanup.  Then it installed 4 updates, after a few restarts seems ok.

23 hours ago, longball53098 said:

Installed 1903 on two PCs yesterday. One is a Asus 556K laptop 3 years old with a SSD drive and he other is a 4 year old MSI Windbox 111 with SSD drive. Both installs went well. No obvious issues encountered or after the re-starts.

Today will do another Windbox with SSD and my main HP desktop,,,,,,I expect they will go as well as yesterday.

Finished another 2 PCs yesterday. My main HP desktop being one of them. All went smoothly for both. Nothing really to comment about. So this time MS got the feature update right,,,,,,at least for me.

As an addendum to my above message, it continued to run a little sluggish but then the next day there was a new update, and that seemed to improve things.  The following day there was yet another update.  Today is the first day since installing without a new update, I'm feeling neglected.  :biggrin:

Let me toss this one out, maybe someone can help.

My Windows 10 Home version machine has only one user (me), shows up as Local Account Admin in the user utility, I have a name and password.

Ok, I boot up, takes maybe 90 seconds, I get the screen saver/login screen.  I enter the data, takes maybe 2 minutes until things are settled.

Starting with 1803 last year, if I let the initial screen saver sit for a bit before logging in, when I do finally log in the desktop is there ready and waiting, comes up in a flash.  I was impressed!

Well, now on 1903 that 2 minute lag has returned, regardless of how long I let the login screensaver sit there.  I have not added any startup programs since the upgrade.  I reckon there is some setting inside Windows that can be tweaked for this, so I took some times researching and experimenting, but no go.

Anyone?

Just now updated my PC (Win 10 Pro 64-bit) to 1903. it took some time, got an error at first, but finally, everything is OK. Furthermore, the upgrade fixed a problem I had with the System  Restore. I was able to enable it.   

I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, came with 1809 Home Ver out the box. Even now it says system is up to date. It had the same irritating bug my other PC with 1809 had whereby the right click mouse context menu in Windows Explorer lagged by 5-10 seconds for any options to pop up. This bug has been with 1809 throughout its lifetime I read, and MS introduced it in 1809 and left it there. All earlier Win10's didn't have it. I used MediaCreationTool to force a Win10 update to 1903 and this version doesn't have the said bug.

I wonder why MS lets us stay with a buggy release 1809 for 6 months and then wants us to force an update to 1903 as it won't do itself, even on a brand new laptop.

5 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

I wonder why MS lets us stay with a buggy release 1809 for 6 months and then wants us to force an update to 1903 as it won't do itself, even on a brand new laptop.

Because MS thinks that there is some particular issue with your machine that means that it may not be quite ready for the update (or that the update may not be quite ready for the machine). If you wait long enough the issue will be fixed and the update will happen automatically.

12 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

I used MediaCreationTool to force a Win10 update to 1903 and this version doesn't have the said bug.

I had to do that for 1903.  I still had Home edition 1803 and was not given the update option as May 2019.

But I couldn't do the update via a thumb drive (this bug mentioned above) so I mounted the iso image as a virtual drive.

Since MS released its second update to 1903 yesterday (patch Tuesday) which fixed some bugs and since there seems to be few significant complaints regarding the 1903 upgrade, I upgraded one of my Lenovo laptops today.   Since an update was also released for 1809 which I was running I first did that update to ensure my 1809 version was fully prepared to be upgraded to 1903.

The 1903 upgrade went fine and after approx 5 hours of using 1903 I haven't found in glitches/problems....knock on wood (my head).

If the laptop I upgraded today continues to work fine over the next few days I'll upgrade my other Lenovo laptop.

Archived