Thai exports for April fall to the lowest level in 24 months

webfact

1 hour ago, lahgon29 said:

Having a FTA with Thailand hasn't made goods from Australia cheaper. Since I've lived here the dollar has gone from 31 to 22 Baht and Oz goods have never dropped in price, but gone up. The FTA was over 10 years ago. Thailand just cheats. I've just accepted it. 

Yeah. Oz should slap on sanctions. As should every other country in the world, hard, until they force it down the gullets of Thais. No lenience, no mercy, full on.

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

To make matters worse the EU has just signed a free trade agreement with Vietnam. Something they will hardly do with Thailand given their human rights violations. 

Things are going downhill for Thailand and PM Prayut and the junta are to blame.

Thailand can not have more human rights violations than Communist Vietnam. Anyway we trade with China and Saudi where there are no human rights!

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Baht still rise because of the tourists and foreign retires who bring dollars but buy very less imported items. They subsidize the informal economy (like street vendors) and think doing a favor to the economy where as they are in fact destroying the export economy of Thailand and perpetuating informal economy that does not pay taxes. 

but puts food in families bellys. the material the vendors buy is taxed anyway. they earn so little anyway they would not be eligible for tax. even if they were the cost of collecting tax would cost more than the revenue earned. 1% 0f the Thai population own 90% percent of the wealth and they don't pay much tax and are involved in a massive black economy of bribery and corruption. 

5 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

For the last time, when the THB goes from 31 baht to the USD, to 32 THB to the USD, do you believe it is "increasing in value?"  Are you a Trump speech writer?  Can't you just answer a simple question?

Of course not. Why on earth ask me a stupid question

18 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm not sure, you may be right but if I was China, I would be looking to import and export to countries OTHER than the US. This may benefit Thailand. Too early to say

Also if I was Thailand I wouldn't rely on Chinese tourism for too long. They get fickle and will probably move onto other countries.

Would you earn more money if you do business with a small poor country or  large rich country?

China and USA are the second and largest economy in the world respectively. 

The other small countries pale in comparison to purchasing power.

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

Would you earn more money if you do business with a small poor country or  large rich country?

China and USA are the second and largest economy in the world respectively. 

The other small countries pale in comparison to purchasing power.

No, but you can do business with many smaller poor countries rather than one large rich country...

17 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

No, but you can do business with many smaller poor countries rather than one large rich country...

Do you think that China is doing business with USA only? LOL. China is doing business with almost all countries in the world but those countries have lower purchasing power.

Likewise, there are tourists from all over the world coming to Thailand but those numbers pale in comparison to Chinese tourists.

After Crimea the west imposed an embargo on Russia. Russia retaliated in kind by stop importing Norwegian salmon. Shortly after you could and still can buy Norwegian salmon dirt cheap, less than 300 baht/kg), in Thailand.

If China can't export to the US, we might see the Chinese manufacturing machine start flooding the world with cheap products, even cheaper than they already are and in the process killing local manufacturing.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:32 PM, findlay13 said:

first time I ever saw this was in Pattaya MANY years ago.No customers  so the bar prices went up.I was astounded by the business acumen 

Normal practice, farangs just don't understand the finer points of Thai business practices..... 

41 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

After Crimea the west imposed an embargo on Russia. Russia retaliated in kind by stop importing Norwegian salmon. Shortly after you could and still can buy Norwegian salmon dirt cheap, less than 300 baht/kg), in Thailand.

If China can't export to the US, we might see the Chinese manufacturing machine start flooding the world with cheap products, even cheaper than they already are and in the process killing local manufacturing.

That's called dumping and anti dumping laws allow high tariffs on goods that are way below market price.

Archived