Thai film industry in the world’s market

webfact

7f7f97783e6bc13582d207f58e80d0be.jpg

BANGKOK, 23 May 2019 (NNT) - The Thai Government has been putting effort into promoting the film and video industry, as one of the branches of a creative economy able to build economic value for the country.

A strategic plan to promote the film and video industry is being followed by the Government of Thailand; right now we are entering the 3rd stage, which consists of

-developing human resources for the industry

-promoting and developing the market

-promoting and protecting the intellectual property of film and video

-promoting cooperation in international investment in film making, developing movie-making services located in Thailand, and promoting the capability of the film and video industry

Enabling the entrepreneurs to attend such internationally important events as the Cannes Film Festival, is a way to attract international movie makers or investors to cooperate with Thai film production companies. Moreover, Thai companies offering movie-making services and location-finding services are also among the businesses that the Thai government tries to promote in foreign countries.

According to the Ministry of Culture, in 2018, 714 international films were shot in Thailand, generating income of around 98 million US dollars. The Top three countries coming to making films in Thailand are the US, India and China

The categories of international films or videos shot in Thailand, are

-Advertising

-documentaries

-movies

-TV Programmes

and music videos

Besides introducing Thai entrepreneurs to the foreign market, the Thai government has also issued incentives for foreign filmmakers to shoot their films in Thailand by offering a tax incentive of 15%, along with other privileges if employing Thai actors. The filmmakers are offered 3% of the incentive if utilizing Thai-based film shooting equipment, and if the films promote a good image of Thailand, there is another incentive of 2%.

All incentives offered are part of the strategy to make Thailand the center of the film and video industry of ASEAN and an important destination for the industry in the world’s movie making market.

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

right now we are entering the 3rd stage, which consists of

Wow, already 3rd stage but still have no people "human resources"?

How many stages are there???

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

the Thai government has also issued incentives for foreign filmmakers to shoot their films in Thailand by offering a tax incentive of 15%, along with other privileges if employing Thai actors

Is there any tax incentive for using those Thai sound effects?

BOING! 

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

7f7f97783e6bc13582d207f58e80d0be.jpg

BANGKOK, 23 May 2019 (NNT) - The Thai Government has been putting effort into promoting the film and video industry, as one of the branches of a creative economy able to build economic value for the country.

A strategic plan to promote the film and video industry is being followed by the Government of Thailand; right now we are entering the 3rd stage, which consists of

-promoting and developing the market

-promoting and protecting the intellectual property of film and video

-promoting cooperation in international investment in film making, developing movie-making services located in Thailand, and promoting the capability of the film and video industry

Well, there lies the problem. Fixed it for you. 

Several BANNED Thai film directors who got their art work BANNED or heavily censored, can sing a song about the Regime's vehement attitude towards creativity, challenging status quo and the stubborn efforts to protect Thailand's public image....

18 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

Apart from Ong Bak, Tom Yum Goong and whatever Tony Jaa shoots and A Prayer Before Dawn... Can't remember many decent Thai movies or decent movies shot in Thailand.

I don't know saw a pretty good one on x hamster lol ????

... yesyes, thats nice, and here something from across the divide - you know, 'the people' -  out of a local independent filmers profile:

> ... After graduated, i had worked in film industrial and find out that working for capitalism systems destroy my freedom and creativity especially worked for Thai government that restricted freedom of speech.

Truth equals documentary film. I do believe in its power. So I should keep working on it in the country that has press but has no truth.
I will use documentary film as a weapon of wisdom to revolutionize people and bring back the soul to liberalism and peace. ...

... his cash-flow was a lot better before though ... 

36 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

Apart from Ong Bak, Tom Yum Goong and whatever Tony Jaa shoots and A Prayer Before Dawn... Can't remember many decent Thai movies or decent movies shot in Thailand.

What about "The Hangover part 2" even tho it was mostly a documentary

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Can anyone name any Thai documentaries?

Yeah, difficult to do an interesting documentary when 

1. The ability to think is beaten out of you from birth until adulthood 

2. Your culture prevents you from questioning authority or really anyone perceived as "higher" than you

3. You cannot tolerate any foreign impression of your culture/country that is not perfect and acceptable to the Faux Elite party line

When I first got here I used to go to the cinema a lot 'cause it was cheap, modern and clean. I saw quite a few Thai movies and kinda just gave up on them. Whether they were comedy, drama, action or horror, etc, they all had the same thing in common - they were really messy. I remember the stories just jumping from A to D and then to F and back to B, etc. They didn't seem to follow any structure. They felt a lot like they were just made up as they went along. 

There is a certain way to making movies. A formula of three acts, etc. That's not to say you can't do whatever you like, but you have some kind of consistency. And don't even start me on the comedy movies. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in as much as they were lost in translation. But the humour was very slapstick and pantomime-esque. 

I'd love to see a Brazilian-style movie about Thailand where it's very candid, honest, gritty and realistic. Unfortunately, this kind of movie would simply be banned. 

I remember back in the 2000s when I was still in UK, Thailand made some decent horror movies... Colic, Shutter and a few others. They all believe in ghosts and spirits so not surprising they should be able to make some passable horror movies.

When I first got here I used to go to the cinema a lot 'cause it was cheap, modern and clean. I saw quite a few Thai movies and kinda just gave up on them. Whether they were comedy, drama, action or horror, etc, they all had the same thing in common - they were really messy. I remember the stories just jumping from A to D and then to F and back to B, etc. They didn't seem to follow any structure. They felt a lot like they were just made up as they went along. 

There is a certain way to making movies. A formula of three acts, etc. That's not to say you can't do whatever you like, but you have some kind of consistency. And don't even start me on the comedy movies. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in as much as they were lost in translation. But the humour was very slapstick and pantomime-esque. 

I'd love to see a Brazilian-style movie about Thailand where it's very candid, honest, gritty and realistic. Unfortunately, this kind of movie would simply be banned. 

Went to see the biography film of Pumpuang 3 times, singer Nong Paowalee did a great job portraying her. Like most biog films watered down, even more so here due to defamation threats. Particularly (it's alleged) from her first 'husbands' family. His end should have been included in the film.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

right now we are entering the 3rd stage, which consists of

This goes back to the topic about Business Administration replacing Mass Comm and Education that was up earlier in today's forum. There used to be an English language production program at Mahidol. But they killed it and replaced it with a watered down mass comm major. Film and TV is a hard industry to make money in. Even if you are good, there isn't enough work in the Thai industry to make features. You spend most of your time making commercials for ad agencies. And the grads coming out of these mass comm programs are poorly educated in technical skills as well as English writing and speaking. And so they can only do menial jobs for international production companies--gofors mostly. Finally, the graduates out there who do work in services are involved in a race to the bottom. After paying more than 2 million baht for your Mahidol comm degree, it's hard to earn it back when you are chasing after 15-20K per month jobs as production assistants or animators.

Think the cinematography is good, but why would one want to film in Thailand versus Malaysia ?   Pinewood has a studio in Jahore.  Is there a major, foreign studio in Thailand ?  Has junta censorship hurt the industry ?   The Thai movie industry needs more development.   Most Thai movies are either ghost stories or love stories.  There is a lack of substantive content.  And Thai actor need to try harder to get into international films.   On the whole, the industry is too complacent.     

2 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Think the cinematography is good, but why would one want to film in Thailand versus Malaysia ?

It's cheaper in Thailand. There are few safety regs on set. You're likely to see people running around in flip flops, instead of steel toed boots. No nurse on set. And you don't need grips or gaffers. Just one guy with a screwdriver will do.

23 minutes ago, zydeco said:

It's cheaper in Thailand. There are few safety regs on set. You're likely to see people running around in flip flops, instead of steel toed boots. No nurse on set. And you don't need grips or gaffers. Just one guy with a screwdriver will do.

Absolute rubbish.

What a truly miserable, anti Thai bunch of people that populate this site.  It really is depressing.

As somebody who works in the film industry here - and have done for 24 years - I can say none of you know what you are talking about.  At all.  And I can say that none of you have ever set foot on a film set here, or anywhere else.  I have, dozens and dozens of times, as well as film sets across this region: China, Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore.  And also the UK and the Middle East.

Thailand is already a hub of production and post production in ASEAN.    The equipment available here is the best you can get, Thai crews are easily the best in the region and better, quicker, more efficient than those anywhere, including the UK.  That also goes for hair and make up, rigging, set building, everything.  A shoot for Sunsilk in the Philippines?  They are flying in Thai hair riggers and make up artists, without fail.

Thailand has incredible, modern, affordable studios.  People come from all over the world to shoot in studios here and they can't believe how good they are, how good the crews are, it puts what they are used to at home to absolute shame.  Then there's the locations which speak for themselves.

Post production here is also on a par with anything in the UK, at less than half the price.  I know because I run a large post production facility here that is also present in six other countries and we are their global hub for high quality post, CGI, VFX.

Forget about stupid soap operas, what have they got to do with what the OP was about?  Was Byker Grove indicative of the UK film industry?  Prisoner Cell Block H is what the Australian film industry is all about?

A bit of a rant there, but why do people feel the constant need to post ridiculous, untrue, negative, sniping, anti-Thai stuff on subjects they know absolutely nothing about??  Why, what do they get out of it?

20 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

What a truly miserable, anti Thai bunch of people that populate this site.  It really is depressing.

As somebody who works in the film industry here - and have done for 24 years - I can say none of you know what you are talking about.  At all.  And I can say that none of you have ever set foot on a film set here, or anywhere else.  I have, dozens and dozens of times, as well as film sets across this region: China, Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore.  And also the UK and the Middle East.

Thailand is already a hub of production and post production in ASEAN.    The equipment available here is the best you can get, Thai crews are easily the best in the region and better, quicker, more efficient than those anywhere, including the UK.  That also goes for hair and make up, rigging, set building, everything.  A shoot for Sunsilk in the Philippines?  They are flying in Thai hair riggers and make up artists, without fail.

Thailand has incredible, modern, affordable studios.  People come from all over the world to shoot in studios here and they can't believe how good they are, how good the crews are, it puts what they are used to at home to absolute shame.  Then there's the locations which speak for themselves.

Post production here is also on a par with anything in the UK, at less than half the price.  I know because I run a large post production facility here that is also present in six other countries and we are their global hub for high quality post, CGI, VFX.

Forget about stupid soap operas, what have they got to do with what the OP was about?  Was Byker Grove indicative of the UK film industry?  Prisoner Cell Block H is what the Australian film industry is all about?

A bit of a rant there, but why do people feel the constant need to post ridiculous, untrue, negative, sniping, anti-Thai stuff on subjects they know absolutely nothing about??  Why, what do they get out of it?

So all his being true, why do they write and produce a product that by world standards is retarded rubbish? at least 95% of it is with few Honorable exceptions.

29 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

A bit of a rant there, but why do people feel the constant need to post ridiculous, untrue, negative, sniping, anti-Thai stuff on subjects they know absolutely nothing about??

You are using what is called an argument from authority. It's a type of logical fallacy. 

Anyway, I am not discounting your claimed first-hand knowledge. However, it alone does not validate your points. 

If what you say is true, and if the Thais are so much better than everyone, why does the article suggest 

1. Thailand needs to develop human resources 

2. The Thai government wants Thailand to BECOME THE ASEAN hub IN THE FUTURE 

11 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

So all his being true, why do they write and produce a product that by world standards is retarded rubbish? at least 95% of it is with few Honorable exceptions.

If you are talking about the TV soaps with screaming, boings, whistles and super cheap production values, short answer is because that's what appeals and they don't need to do anything else.  I think it's horrible, but then most of the population love it, so who am I to judge?  We have more than our fair share of trashy, cheap and nasty TV back home, just as much as they do here.  And it is just as popular.  Agreed we also have top quality documentaries, dramas etc which they don't really have here, not even close - it just isn't in the culture and wouldn't be financially worthwhile to produce.

However, the OP was about promoting Thailand as a regional / global production destination and they are doing it very successfully due to the reasons and benefits I outlined in my post.  It has truly world class locations, studios, equipment, crew and post production.  It was sneered at by many people who only made themselves look ignorant and foolish.  

Archived