Call for tourist limit on Koh Lan to solve garbage issue

webfact

Call for tourist limit on Koh Lan to solve garbage issue

By The Nation

8d7d8710d66d5cb6a1dd3f878518870a.jpeg

File photo

An independent environmental health expert has called for the number of visitors to Koh Lan in Chon Buri to be less than 5,000 per day to tackle the overwhelming garbage problem.

Sonthi Kotchawat, in his Facebook post on Thursday, also said that tour operators should transport their customers garbage back to the mainland.

As well, Sonthi said the island authority should strictly impose a regulation against littering on the beach and a limit should be imposed on the number of restaurants, resorts and accommodations.

"The atmosphere at the island's Ta Waen Beach resembles that of a disaster refugee camp ... Large umbrellas mushroom all over the beach ...," he said. 

Koh Lan has about 4.7 square kilometres of space and a population of  4,000. The population doubles, however, when combined with the number of unregistered residents. There are some 1,500 rooms for tourist accommodation, he said. 

Normally the number of visitors stands at more than 3,000 people per day - while that leaps to 10,000-15,000 people during a holiday, he said. 

"There are 50,000 tonnes of garbage accumulated on the island pending disposal, sending a foul smell ... Each day, 30-50 tonnes of garbage are produced, mostly from shops, restaurants, resorts and home-stays. 

“Pattaya City workers bring up to 35 tonnes of garbage per day from Koh Lan back to the mainland for disposal, hence about 20 tonnes is left piling up there," he said.

Even with the planned construction of two garbage incinerators (each with a capacity to dispose 25 tonnes a day), the island will still be overwhelmed by trash that will take more than five years to remove, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369866

thenation_logo.jpg

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

for the number of visitors to Koh Lan in Chon Buri to be less than 5,000 per day to tackle the overwhelming garbage 

Here's a start why not crack down on the bay full of speedboats that shuttle the litterers to and fro' the island as was illuminated in another thread only days ago .. Make all trips to the isle depart and return to the pier then they may be in with a chance of controlling the numbers invading it everyday ..  

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

It turned into a no-go zone when the Russians invaded. The Chinese simply finished it off.

noooo I go there to see the lovely Russian babes topless in their g strings most sucking on a tall Chang !

If they bring back 35 tonnes of garbage, and leave behind 20, might I suggest daily tourists are reduced by 40%. Or use alternate days, tourists allowed only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 

There are a lot of boats in Pattaya Bay at the moment, (is Bali Hai closed?), I hope they don't all transport tourists to the Island. 

Just close the Island down.

An instant solution to the litter, number of Tourists trashing the place and all the boats in Pattaya Bay.

oh ! I forgot ! This is Thailand and Tourist money is King, so I guess the trash will continue

12 hours ago, Redline said:

Just get rid of everyone~problem solved, no more trash.  Save the world~kill yourself

Yes, this is the real solution, getting rid of overpopulation. Not surprisingly politicians aren't promoting it - every one crammed into a sardine can has a vote.

Archived