Change from extensions to an O visa.

The person from the ThaiVisa health project/Pacific Cross just said that everyone applying for an extension with an underlying O-A visa needs to have the new mandatory health insurance.  So what is the procedure for me to change from extensions to getting an O visa?  Do I have to go to Bangkok? 

You would have to go to a embassy or consulate to get a non-o visa.

Immigration only issues non immigrant visas based upon qualifying for an extension of stay if you have a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would have to go to a embassy or consulate to get a non-o visa.

Immigration only issues non immigrant visas based upon qualifying for an extension of stay if you have a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

I have a valid extension of stay but would have to go outside of the country to an embassy to avoid buying mandatory insurance?  Where is the closest and easiest place to do this? 

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I am sure he would! 

There has been NO posts saying this has been asked for.

Visas are only obtained outside Thailand.

I hardly think that a representative of Thaivisa would make a false statement on an issue of this import that would effect thousands of expats and make international news. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I hardly think that a representative of Thaivisa would make a false statement on an issue of this import that would effect thousands of expats and make international news. 

They are not a representative of Thai Visa.

I certainly would not do anything until I saw something official from immigration.

If any change is done it would not go into effect retroactively.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They are not a representative of Thai Visa.

I certainly would not do anything until I saw something official from immigration.

If any change is done it would not go into effect retroactively.

Sorry, I thought the Thaivisa Health Project was part of Thaivisa. 

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have a valid extension of stay but would have to go outside of the country to an embassy to avoid buying mandatory insurance?  Where is the closest and easiest place to do this? 

Why do you NOT want Health Insurance?

I've been reading these various threads with amazement.

A good deal on TVF berate the US for not having universal health care, although we do in our own bizarre way thanks to Obamacare

But then those same folks can pivot on a dime to try to find a way to avoid mandatory health insurance in Thailand!

You can delude yourself about the need for insurance, and I think many do get lulled by the fact that you can go into any pharmacy and self medicate for next to nothing.

But you have something serious; heart attack, stoke, blood clot, joint replacement, all unfortunately the ills of the old, and if you want it treated in a decent hospital, that ฿800K you got stashed for your retirement extension is but a drop in the ocean

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

i know someone who's had a  heart attack here. they had to have a stent and 5 days in intensive care. total cost just over 200K at a private hospital. 

Sounds cheap, guy I knew am pretty sure he ended up with a near mil bill for multiple stents!

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Sorry, I thought the Thaivisa Health Project was part of Thaivisa. 

If you are referring to this topic it makes no mention whatsoever wrt needing Health Insurance for retirement extensions!

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Sounds cheap, guy I knew am pretty sure he ended up with a near mil bill for multiple stents!

Indeed that 200k is extremely low in my experience - but the stents themselves are a major cost factor so multi would be considerably more (and some stents/medicated can cost a lost more).

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed that 200k is extremely low in my experience - but the stents themselves are a major cost factor so multi would be considerably more (and some stents/medicated can cost a lost more).

it was a close relative and i was there, but i agree, i was shocked by how low the treatment was too especially considering it was at a 'branded' private hospital.

its not open heart surgery though the stent goes in via the leg or arm

• Like 2

Just now, GeorgeCross said:

it was a close relative and i was there, but i agree, i was shocked by how low the treatment was too especially considering it was at a 'branded' private hospital.

its not open heart surgery though the stent goes in via the leg or arm

Yes have two of them normal non medicated and believe price was about 360 thousand a few years back at second tier price private hospital.  But perhaps stents have gone down a bit in price as most doctors are not as anxious to use for lower blockage as they were a decade ago.  But sorry I am really off-topic.

1.  There is no requirement for medical insurance for any extensions of stay provided in Thailand AFAIK.  What may or may not happen in the future is not now.  

2.  As said some have valid medical insurance of much better quality.

I guess I should ask it again.  Where is the closest, easiest and quickest place to get an O visa?  If the guy from Pacific Cross is right I'm sure there will be thousands of us going there and I want to arrive early.

Edited by marcusarelus

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I guess I should ask it again.  Where is the closest, easiest and quickest place to get an O visa? 

The consulates in Savannakhet or Penang.

You will need to show 800k baht in the bank and proof of retirement to apply for it.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed typo

5 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Sorry.  I have lost track.  Why would anyone want to switch from an extension of stay to an O visa?

Guy from Pacific Cross and Thaivisa Health Project said O-A extensions will have to have mandatory health insurance. 

• Like 1

Lopburi3 is a long-standing and very knowledgeable member of TV. I would take his word for it when he says that no type of extension requires that the holder have health insurance, especially when it is his word against that of a salesman.  Don’t be conned.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Guy from Pacific Cross and Thaivisa Health Project said O-A extensions will have to have mandatory health insurance. 

Got a link, or was it over the telephone?

13 hours ago, fishtank said:

Of course he would say that wouldn't he?

It's not what is written in the post, though - maybe changed since the OP?  The post from "Thaivisa Health Protect" refers to "Non-OA" Visa holders (aka "Long Stay" Visas), which are obtained at a Thai embassy in one's home-country. 

Those Visas are no doubt gaining popularity, given Immigration's changes to extension-rules - "money in the bank" and getting rid of embassy-letters for many of us.  Perhaps this "insurance rule" is in response to the shift away from extensions, to these Visas.  But, thus far, they have NOT said those obtaining in-country extensions must buy health-insurance with the worthless "out patient" coverage. 

If they did demand this, it would lead more back into OA Visas (not immigration's goal), though they would likely allow applicants to pay them off through an agent to avoid meeting the requirement - same all the other requirements, except being over 50.

Edited by JackThompson

Marcus is referring to this thread:
“Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand “

If you start from post #1625 you will see that the rep from Pacific Cross/Thaivisa Health Protect clearly states “ yes you do “ when I asked him “if an expat on an extension of stay based on retirement originating from an OA visa requires the mandatory health insurance .”

Although he does go on to say that the health insurance requirements for OA visa have not been fully finalised ( which I take to read as he has not been fully informed yet ).

It is his word against many and he did not provide any written information other than the badly worded document that we have already seen .

As he is a salesman/rep for an Insurance company you can make up your own verdict as to whether you believe him or not !!
He certainly did not provide any new evidence to back up his claim.

I personally am on an extension of stay ( retirement ) originating from an OA but my extension is only due September 25th so I have time to see how this pans out.

Marcus, on the other hand, has an upcoming extension ( July I believe ) and has unfortunately become the guinea pig for this situation.
I can understand Marcus’s concerns .

• Like 1