Emergency help for British nationals in Thailand

3 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

I won't be putting that number in my phone book, complete waste of time.

The British Embassy in Bangkok does not issue passports or visas, these are subbed out.

Their current website absolute pile of steaming and is impossible to navigate.

If you need any documents (the one thing that they still do) then you are hit with a 50 quid bill.

As for the article, I have never met a Brit abroad (in any country) who has actually been able to get any emergency help from our embassy.

As Colin rightfully proves, asking for any assistance from the British Embassy is a complete waste of time.

Any Brits who have lived here for a decent length of time will know that they British Embassy exists in Thailand only as a cushy posting.

Nonsense (apart from your second sentence and the £50 reference) from start to finish.

I'd love to know who you, or your family, would contact in the circumstances that the Embassy provides assistance if you won't call them!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Personal remarks/exchanges removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

The US embassy just came out with a bulletin proclaiming that services such as this will no longer be offered, perhaps the Brits caught wind of this and are gauging if it's worth the effort? 

Edited by Megascott
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Megascott said:

The US embassy just came out with a bulletin proclaiming that services such as this will no longer be offered, perhaps the Brits caught wind of this and are gauging if it's worth the effort? 

I suppose along with every man and his dog they could offer health insurance for retirees. The mention of which will result in another HI  pop up!

• Haha 2

Wow - so many negative comments here.  The British Embassy are not hear to hold your hand.  But in times of crisis/emergency, they can and will certainly help or give advice, such as contacting relatives, providing a list of lawyers or (as I know from personal experience when working as a tourist police officer at Phuket Airport) - contacting a local TPV to visit a British national who has just been arrested.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

rubbish, they are and they don't.  I know of not one person who has a good thing to say about them.  They are beyond useless and a waste of UK taxpayers money.  May as well close them down and put all those muppets that 'work' there out of the job.  

too true

• Like 2
  • Sad 1