Emergency help for British nationals in Thailand

16 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Since these are my own personal experiences in dealing with the British Embassy over a period of about 18 years, I think I do have an idea of what I'm talking about ????

The purpose of an embassy is diverse, primarily concerned with diplomatic relations.  They provide consular services and help British citizens in distress, such as at time of bereavement. They implement the policy of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).  If you want to moan about what the embassy does or doesn't do, go moan to the FCO.

I've never had any problems with my dealings with the embassy staff, from security staff right up to Consul.  My ex-wife (then my GF) had no issues when successfully applying for a UK tourist visa.  Everyone was polite at all times.

Your mileage may vary of course! I think some people have preconceived ideas about what the embassy can do and get frustrated when their expectations aren't met.

You clearly have no idea.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The locals working there are arrogant

A well-known general attitude :

give some power to a Joe Bloggs, and pretty sure you get abuse of power, as a result. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I suspect that mostly is a result of expectations against actual function and ability leaving people disappointed and with a negative view for not getting what they wanted or thought they would get.

Fair enough. 

In fact whatever embassy, except in very rare exceptional cases, don't help directly their citizens confronted with their own specific problem. 

They eventually function as a go-between, and this at a cost. 

I'm baffled as to why this has been posted?

The number has not changed in twenty years, so is there some reason I've missed as to why it's suddenly newsworthy to highlight this same number?

edit: Actually, I take that back. there was a separate number for the consulate, it was over ten years ago.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

The number has not changed in twenty years, so is there some reason I've missed as to why it's suddenly newsworthy to highlight this same number?

Being a bit slow this morning lad, reason for showing it is they are trying to make people think that they are there to help.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It never hurts to publish information periodically as there are new people arriving all the time and those that have been here for some years that may need it.

Having it "recent" is more use than having  20 yr old information that people may wonder if its still valid.

• Like 2

In 1984, I was offloaded in Bombay,an Air India flight. On the way to Sydney.

Chronically overbooked as per usual, was offered accom Air India Hotel.  Immo insisted on passport     being handed over.     On arrival, desk informs .me that my ticket not confirmed according to computer, agent mess up, or their computer, cannot stay.

Now I Have  no passport!   Manage to call Calcutta, did   not have bombay embassy then.

Told situation.can you help please.     NO  .....HUNG UP

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

During an emergency why would we waste time calling the British Embassy, knowing that absolutely nothing will be done.

It ain't their job to help you in an emergency! That's what the local police / fire / ambulance / rescue services are for. And if it's a medical issue, that's what your travel or health insurance is for.

I am amazed at the sense of entitlement some have when it comes to what their embassy should be doing for them. Embassies are there to promote trade and good diplomatic relations. Providing assistance to citizens of their country is limited to things like the issuing of documents and stuff like that.

The crap some embassies and their staff get on here is ridiculous. I can just imagine what some of the embassy staff say about some of the people they have to deal with who clearly orchestrated their own problems and made no reasonable effort to adequately prepare for any of the many contingencies that can arise in a foreign country. Who'd want to be consular staff at an embassy in Bangkok and deal with some of the self-entitled citizens from their country with problems who don't take responsibility for themselves and always expect others to be there to fix them?!

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

As for the article, I have never met a Brit abroad (in any country) who has actually been able to get any emergency help from our embassy.

Really? You need to get out more......speak to a few more people, particularly Brits. I know of some who have received consular assistance but I am not telling who they are............. get your own friends. 

What people do not understand is that the help they give is limited by rules, regulations and laws. They can, in certain circumstances, provide advice and assistance but they will not dig you out of any sh**pile of your own creation. 

• Like 2

Embassies are there for trade, foreign relations, issuing visa's, diplomatic assistance and the likes.

They are not there to bottle feed tourists or give a hot meal or provide a blanket and accomodation. They will help to experdite a contact with a relative or department in your home country if required.

• Like 1

To not al least listen to the story of a person emerging from a coma sounds a bit rough.

I wonder what someone expects an embassy to do in this case of illness or debilitation?

Their job has never been to support such things as far as embassy contacts I’ve had over the years has shown. Incarceration, offering legal support, visas, lost passports, destitute people re: repatriation  perhaps - in some circumstances.

it seems all embassy websites are heavy going and forms n processes highly legalistic n dense, but hey we are talking about British law application in foreign countries so I guess it’s necessary to cover bases as the British govt see it.

embassies are not here to bail out people because they get themselves into straights e.g. no medical insurance get hurt hospital big bills etc., drink n party their way into a destitute position. Break foreign law n then expect their embassy to make that nation let them out of jail or detention centres.

But, many do see this is their job. It is not, and hasn’t been for a very long time. Remarks by other nationalities shows their embassies being of the same or similar application n procedures does indicate some stiffening and retraction back behind narrower walls of operation.

if this is actual and real then I venture to guess it might be due to the increase of folks appealing to and expecting their embassy to ‘save’ them in some way.

just a thought.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zoza said:

well now you know one person who has a good word for them.

a few years back me and about twenty others had had our passports seized , it was a Thai girlfriend (Agent) and boyfriend (immigration) fall out and we were left to sort it out by the Thai immigration.

we had to go to the British embassy to fill in forms and get some help. the British staff dealt with us for the first visit, and done well.

they then handed us on to the Thai staff who also worked at the embassy I must admit I was very surprised just how helpful they where,

they gave me several numbers where I could contact them and when we got into a problem with one lad trying to hurry things up? got into a dodgy situation with some Thai Agents/Lawyers . I rang the Thai number  and they just asked me to hand over my phone to this demanding Agent

after two mins I was handed my phone back and they just returned all his documents and the money this lad had gave them, and Wai'ed their way backwards back into their office. I kept intouch for a few years as they where top people and very handy to have their numbers. 

you said it, 'a few years back'.  maybe 'a few years back' they were doing an adequate job, they sure as hell are not doing so now. and Yes, you are the only one I have ever heard of with a good word to say about them.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1