Emergency help for British nationals in Thailand

18 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I won't be putting that number in my phone book, complete waste of time.

The British Embassy in Bangkok does not issue passports or visas, these are subbed out.

Their current website absolute pile of steaming and is impossible to navigate.

If you need any documents (the one thing that they still do) then you are hit with a 50 quid bill.

As for the article, I have never met a Brit abroad (in any country) who has actually been able to get any emergency help from our embassy.

As Colin rightfully proves, asking for any assistance from the British Embassy is a complete waste of time.

Any Brits who have lived here for a decent length of time will know that they British Embassy exists in Thailand only as a cushy posting.

I dont have any first hand experience but there are many instances when people have been arrested or hospitolised that they have given assistance and support, visiting victims and liasing with family members in the UK. They cant give financial assistance or get embroiled in domestic or police disputes. Im sure most people here, if locked away maybe in Koh Phangnan or somewhere would be very grateful for a visit from them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SteveK said:

I asked nothing outside their remit - I expected a very basic level of help and got nothing but rudeness. Are you suggesting that UK citizens should not ask anything of their embassy? I was very prepared, even asked them via email precisely what to bring and brought more than they asked for luckily, or I would have been screwed. They did not tell me that they might scrutinise my forms and ask me to amend and reprint them!

At least now I know not to bother with them, I am much more likely to get better help from someone in the street, and I won't have to wait 7 weeks then either. Lesson learned.

Appreciated. I acknowledge that they are not at all user friendly and that they expect everyone to have 'caught up' with this technology lark. This, coupled with a morbid fear of complaint, has resulted in experiences such as yours. 

• Like 1

I am surprised at members saying they were treated rudely by the Embassy as that is not really one of their trademarks. I admit they can pontificate at great length but not in a rude manner I have found.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I am surprised at members saying they were treated rudely by the Embassy as that is not really one of their trademarks. I admit they can pontificate at great length but not in a rude manner I have found.

Wrong mate, i never said i was treated rudely, but my wife was.

The fact she is Thai and asked the British embassy for help/advice, shows they have no compassion.

• Like 2

For those of you that think the British Embassy deals poorly with consular matters, spare a thought for those that come from the Middle East from countries such as Jordon, Iran or Iraq that do not see their Embassy officials for months and months on end, some never and have to use other Embassies to get in touch with their own!

I had a problem many many years ago now and I accept times have changed but I found consular officers who I dealt with directly, to really push the boat out as in visiting me outside their remit and without being compensated by the Embassy for their time and travel, especially the Honorary Consul of Pattaya at the time, Mr Barry Kenyon.

I similarly found a great deal of help and kindness from unpaid helpers who were expats and voluntary prison visitors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Next, people need to accept that British people having problems are dealt with as a consular matter in a specific section of the Embassy. A lot of the departments operate very much independently within the Embassy walls. Some people feel that the Embassy is there purely to sort out their mistakes and errors of judgement, which it most certainly is not.

I too believed the above until it was actually explained to me by an Embassy officer ' off the record ' Do I think there is an awful lot of nonsense and partying that goes on at the WE

I am surprised at members saying they were treated rudely

I am not surprised in the slightest.

Every time that I have had to deal with Embassy in Bangkok I have dealt with rude arrogant staff.

The worst ones to deal with are the Thai staff, who believe that they are above the people that they have to deal with and as such they look down on everyone. 

I never understand why anyone who does not like dealing with the 'great unwashed' would take on a job that puts them in that position.

That would be like being petrified of heights and becoming a steeplejack. 

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wrong mate, i never said i was treated rudely, but my wife was.

The fact she is Thai and asked the British embassy for help/advice, shows they have no compassion.

Well, I was talking generally and not about your particular problem with them. Also, none of us is privy to the conversation that took place between your wife and the Embassy nor do we know if it was a British official or a Thai official appointed to work at the Embassy.

I am surprised that she was spoken to rudely but as I say, I do not know the details of the matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bert got kinky said:

I am surprised at members saying they were treated rudely

I am not surprised in the slightest.

Every time that I have had to deal with Embassy in Bangkok I have dealt with rude arrogant staff.

The worst ones to deal with are the Thai staff, who believe that they are above the people that they have to deal with and as such they look down on everyone. 

I never understand why anyone who does not like dealing with the 'great unwashed' would take on a job that puts them in that position.

That would be like being petrified of heights and becoming a steeplejack. 

When you refer to Thai staff working in the embassy, that is a different matter entirely. And to answer your question simply, why do they do the job? Power, influence and it looks great on their CV.

• Like 1

Just now, Scouse123 said:

When you refer to Thai staff working in the embassy, that is a different matter entirely. And to answer your question simply, why do they do the job? Power, influence and it looks great on their CV.

you forgot to add that they can then Lord it over farang expats, but I suppose 'power' covers that.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Comparing with the abysmal consular services of other countries is hardly a recommendation for a country like the UK that promotes itself as one of the most sophisticated, which of course it isn't.  

Pilotman,

Yes, but also sometimes the expectations of the British expat and visitor is a lot greater than the Embassy has the power to do. Some think they are there purely and simply as a convenience for ' Brits in the Sh*t, and they are not.

Their primary duty is for diplomatic matters and trade affairs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Err, it was the embassy that cut off the expat registration and information programme (sorry, it was so long ago that I forget the proper name), now they want someone else to do their communicating for them for free.

What actual expat services do they offer now, not visas nor passports (apart from emergency travel documents)?

Maybe  they negotiate these 

famous trade deals for post Brexit. No time left for expats.

Edited by Letseng

????

4 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Yes, I remember a certain official that liked to collect the soiled panties from a few of the freelance hookers from Nana, used to borrow them and keep them in his pocket to sniff all day at work, then return them later in the day! 

Oh. Doesnt everybody??

Edited by potless

21 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I am beginning to think that the British Embassy is nothing more than list of phone numbers and one woman employed in an office to 'put you through' to an extension in London. Its a long time ago but I remember when they cared and offered personal advice. Now long gone. They really have become the joke of foreign embassies in Thailand.

I think they give you a free brown paper bag to put the pieces in. Wait and see how bad it gets when 'we get our country back'

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

I understand your points on this, but why have a consular section, if the buggers are not prepared to help/ offer advice?

As i have said my wife was at wits end not knowing what to do when immigration were threatening my deportation when i was on life support.

Surely any person with any compassion, or a correctly functioning brain would have at least tried to offer some advice as to who my wife should speak to, instead of just saying not our problem.

My wife was not asking about financial help, as insurance covered me,.

I hope you or anybody eles wife/ girlfriend never find themselves in the same position as my wife was.

I was on life support unable to speak/ move or do anything to help.

She could have gone to another embassy which is in the EU, I've been helped by the German embassy several times in the past knowing it was pointless going to the UK embassy.

• Like 1

Embassy staff will never go out of their way to help, if by doing so, they may upset the host country.  For example, look at UK Nationals that are detained in the Middle East on ridiculous and often false charges (kissing on the beach when not married) and get not an ounce of help from the local Embassy or the UK Government.  It's often quoted that the Embassy don't want to upset the locals over 'cultural based issues' of that country, by complaining about something that is clearly stupid and pointless and /or a genuine mistake.  The lady caught and jailed in Dubai with having over the counter pain killers is a good example.  She got no help whatsoever and the Embassy just warned people not to carry anything drug related into the Country, very helpful for her.  The support you will get (next to nothing) will be dependant almost entirely on the diplomatic requirements, not on the right or wrongfulness of your particular case. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I have never met a Brit abroad (in any country) who has actually been able to get any emergency help from our embassy.

My Ex FIL was a consul in Belgrade back in the day. He used to go and talk to Brits, say, locked up for traffic offences. Not much he could actually do other than give advice like "just pay the fine and be done with it" 

That being said that was back when working in FCO was a vocation not simply a McJob. 

In Solomon Islands there was an old lady from Australia who had here handbag stolen with everything in. She was travelling on a British passport so....

She emigrated to Aus. many years before had children there etc. but never got around to getting Aus citizenship. British Embassy could only repatriate back to UK but she didn't want or need to go there. After some "cocktails' with Aussie counterpart they came up with a scheme to return her to her family in Aus. 

Maybe they don't do squat now but they used to. 

EDIT: I should have added that he was "the Boss" in Solomons so probably made a bit of difference. And it was a small office.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The British Embassy the World over are a pitiful excuse for representing UK Nationals abroad and helping where they can.  They don't help at all.  Even if trade and commerce are involved, they are next to useless. May as well close them all down for all the good that they do and the help they (don not) provide. They would be the very last people I would approach if I needed help.   

"The British Embassy the World over are a pitiful excuse for representing UK Nationals abroad and helping where they can.  They don't help at all.  Even if trade and commerce are involved, they are next to useless".

You base that (incorrect) assertion on what rationale?

"They would be the very last people I would approach if I needed help".

Who would you approach for help in the circumstances that most people would ask the Embassy?

7 hours ago, oxysong said:

Of course you indeed would have first hand knowledge of this particular subject,not that fact you appear not to have any useful knowledge of anything in reality

In actual fact I do have personal experience of the Embassy's service, that's why I have such a strong opinion on the subject.

"... that fact you appear not to have any useful knowledge of anything in reality".

Such as?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

And that is just your opinion and incorrect assessment. 

Now please find someone else to troll and stop stalking me.

You're right, it is my opinion but it is not just my opinion, it is based on personal experience on more than one occasion.

The trolling on this thread is not coming from me.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1