Residency Certificate for Motorcycle License

28 minutes ago, FoldzNever said:

I don't have a rental agreement or utility bill to provide as I rent my place thru airbnb long term. What do they require at immigration?

do you have a visa? if so, when the visa was issued you had to provide proof of residency, thus recorded at the IMO, go there and ask for CR they will give you one and if my memory is good 100 or 200 baht charge

32 minutes ago, FoldzNever said:

I don't have a rental agreement or utility bill to provide as I rent my place thru airbnb long term. What do they require at immigration?

Im on a METV. I've been in country a while and have been told a few times that I need to get a license when I was stopped.

Just now, FoldzNever said:

Im on a METV. I've been in country a while and have been told a few times that I need to get a license when I was stopped.

I even got fined while having my IDP a few weeks ago because I had been here more than 60 days. Thats when they "lost" my IDP. Told me I could pick it up at the station the next day. But it never showed up again.

1 minute ago, FoldzNever said:

many people driving a motorbike without license, it's illegal but they still do it

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

many people driving a motorbike without license, it's illegal but they still do it

I'd rather not. The 500 baht fines start to add up. And since I will be here for 6 months or so out of the year it makes since to get one. I grow tired of going 20 minutes out of my way to avoid the traffic stops around old city. 

1 minute ago, FoldzNever said:

I'd rather not. The 500 baht fines start to add up. And since I will be here for 6 months or so out of the year it makes since to get one. I grow tired of going 20 minutes out of my way to avoid the traffic stops around old city. 

get a CR/RC at the IMO, I don't know any other place to get them. The IMO asks where do you live and proof of address, drawing a map of your building it's a requirement, taking photos in front of the building, maybe management can write a proof of address.... if you want to do things the proper way start by asking IMO what they need from you in order to issue you a CR or RC, it's residency certificate of certificate of residency, it's a letter issue by IMO stating the intended use of such certificate with your IMO registered address

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

get a CR/RC at the IMO, I don't know any other place to get them. The IMO asks where do you live and proof of address, drawing a map of your building it's a requirement, taking photos in front of the building, maybe management can write a proof of address.... if you want to do things the proper way start by asking IMO what they need from you in order to issue you a CR or RC, it's residency certificate of certificate of residency, it's a letter issue by IMO stating the intended use of such certificate with your IMO registered address

Thx for the info I will go down there and ask what they may accept

3 minutes ago, FoldzNever said:

Thx for the info I will go down there and ask what they may accept

there you go.... good luck, don't forget to smile even if their answers don't please you, 555 catch more flies with honey than with vinegar

On 5/23/2019 at 12:00 PM, FoldzNever said:

If an METV is atourist visa, don't you have to do a border run to renew it every 60 days?

Therefore you are not in the country for more than 60 consecutive days so an IDP should suffice.

4 hours ago, Gnasher328 said:

If an METV is atourist visa, don't you have to do a border run to renew it every 60 days?

Not if you do an extension, then you can be in the country for a max of 90 days.

19 hours ago, Gnasher328 said:

Therefore you are not in the country for more than 60 consecutive days so an IDP should suffice.

There is no 60 or 90 day limit anyway, an IDP can be used as long as it's valid (max validity is a year, then you have to get a new one), the police were probably just extorting money from OP

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

There is no 60 or 90 day limit anyway, an IDP can be used as long as it's valid (max validity is a year, then you have to get a new one), the police were probably just extorting money from OP

I agree that max validity is a year, but it is normally less than that.  My last IDP expired on the date of my Retirement extension date.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:27 PM, FoldzNever said:

Airbnb legal again? ????

On 5/23/2019 at 5:18 PM, FoldzNever said:

Is it possible to get this done at the Consulate in Chiang Mai? I want to get a motorcycle license as my IDP was "lost" by the police in Pattaya a few weeks back.

The US Embassy, and Consulate in CM, have said nothing about slamming the door on affidavits attesting to your residency. It's now a blank affidavit, where you fill in purpose as certificate of residency for license renewal, car purchase, whatever (older forms had blocks you checked for these purposes). In years past, such 'residency affidavits' have been accepted for drivers licenses, and we've seen no push to dishonor such affidavits because they can't absolutely verify one's address (as we've seen with income affidavits).

However, one country -- Australia -- one of the four that stopped income affidavits because they couldn't absolutely verify income -- has also extended this "no can do" to affidavits about one's residency:

Notarial Services we are unable to provide include:

• Witnessing statutory declarations or providing a letter which declares your address in Thailand, including to open a Thai bank account, obtain a Thai drivers license or transfer motor vehicle registration.

Kind of a stretch, but arguable. Now they can repatriate all those embassy folks being used to service her citizens, at embassy or on out reach.

The Brits, one of the four income affidavit quitters, also still allow residency affidavits:

Services we provide in Thailand

Consular staff can provide the following services only:

• affirmation of marital status
  • affirmation of residency

Queer, the affidavit needs to be written in longhand......... (?).

Anyway, I go next Tuesday to CM Consulate for my residency affidavit. I've got two -- typed in, and blank, should they request a long hand entry (nothing to suggest they would). We'll see. Then, we'll see if it's still accepted when I attempt my license renewal....

So, for the OP, I can only say, give it a shot. $50 bucks for same day service. Might just be worth it.

8 hours ago, JimGant said:

The US Embassy, and Consulate in CM, have said nothing about slamming the door on affidavits attesting to your residency. It's now a blank affidavit, where you fill in purpose as certificate of residency for license renewal, car purchase, whatever (older forms had blocks you checked for these purposes). In years past, such 'residency affidavits' have been accepted for drivers licenses, and we've seen no push to dishonor such affidavits because they can't absolutely verify one's address (as we've seen with income affidavits).

However, one country -- Australia -- one of the four that stopped income affidavits because they couldn't absolutely verify income -- has also extended this "no can do" to affidavits about one's residency:

Kind of a stretch, but arguable. Now they can repatriate all those embassy folks being used to service her citizens, at embassy or on out reach.

The Brits, one of the four income affidavit quitters, also still allow residency affidavits:

Queer, the affidavit needs to be written in longhand......... (?).

Anyway, I go next Tuesday to CM Consulate for my residency affidavit. I've got two -- typed in, and blank, should they request a long hand entry (nothing to suggest they would). We'll see. Then, we'll see if it's still accepted when I attempt my license renewal....

So, for the OP, I can only say, give it a shot. $50 bucks for same day service. Might just be worth it.

Ok. I'll give that a shot! Don't mind paying since I've gotten hit by check points twice already. Always carry 2 500 baht notes in my scooter just in case.

Every office has different rules, and I guess every consulate too... You are not stating which counsulate.

I received a few of those residence certificates from Bangkok Immigration. They take 2 weeks to issue, they cost 400 baht each and they are issued on production of your passport with a non tourist visa and a 90 day report sheet.

Important point is the 90 day report cerfiticate as they refused outright to produce a residence certificate if I didn't have one. We all know that if you have a 10000 years visa but leave the country every 89 days for one day you are not expected to do the 90 day report. In a situation like this you would not be able to get the residence certificate, which is a bit absurd. In cases like this you could only refer to the embassy.

The certificate is called in Thai: Nan Su Rub Rong Ti Yu (good luck with that ???? ) but I don't think you can have it on an METV.

22 hours ago, canerandagio said:

Every office has different rules, and I guess every consulate too... You are not stating which counsulate.

I received a few of those residence certificates from Bangkok Immigration. They take 2 weeks to issue, they cost 400 baht each and they are issued on production of your passport with a non tourist visa and a 90 day report sheet.

Important point is the 90 day report cerfiticate as they refused outright to produce a residence certificate if I didn't have one. We all know that if you have a 10000 years visa but leave the country every 89 days for one day you are not expected to do the 90 day report. In a situation like this you would not be able to get the residence certificate, which is a bit absurd. In cases like this you could only refer to the embassy.

The certificate is called in Thai: Nan Su Rub Rong Ti Yu (good luck with that ???? ) but I don't think you can have it on an METV.

You can get certificate of residence with SETV and METV, at least in Phuket. You need to first register your address by submitting a TM30 form and all the documents needed, there's a lot of info on this forum about TM30 for non-tourist visa , the same documents are used for tourist visa.

After you have registered your address and got the notification slip attached to your passport you can get the certificate of residence, cost 300baht here, while registering address is free.

I have done this to get Thai licens and also open a bank account a couple of years ago....

Archived