What exactly is Activated Charcoal Capsules

ravip

Once at a 7-Eleven, when I asked for some medication for an upset stomach  I was given a pack of this. Although I bought it, I never used it as I was not familiar with this medication. Is this something common for an upset stomach (it is written anti-diarrheal on the pack)? Any risks/after effects?

It helps to remove toxins as they bind with the charcoal and pass through your body.  The capsules are designed for gas upset stomach.  ER rooms also use a powder mixed with liquid for many drug OD cases to clear system.  It is cheap and in my experience seems to limit food poisoning type symptoms.  Everything has risks but seem to be very minimal for most (Google will provide lists).  

Believe best known is made by Greater Pharma and called CA-R-BON and my packet is marked 25 baht for 10.  

29 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It helps to remove toxins as they bind with the charcoal and pass through your body.  The capsules are designed for gas upset stomach.  ER rooms also use a powder mixed with liquid for many drug OD cases to clear system.  It is cheap and in my experience seems to limit food poisoning type symptoms.  Everything has risks but seem to be very minimal for most (Google will provide lists).  

Believe best known is made by Greater Pharma and called CA-R-BON and my packet is marked 25 baht for 10.  

Thank you very much for the info. Yes, that's the brand they gave me. I too Googled and got some info, but wanted to get some comments from some one who had used it.

What I have been told is: Use something like Norfloxin to kill the bugs then the charcoal cleans the dead thingies up. You have to wait after taking the anti-bacterial or the charcoal will absorb it and render it useless. Talk to a good pharmacist not 7/11.

After I'm better i take a probiotic to get good bacteria back into my gut.

True, good for recovery diahorrea;

Also used by thais to remove stains from teeth,  crush up a few and brush for a few days with it.bit messy brush normally after .

It works I know do it myself .

Save a thousand or so. 10 baht

Activated charcoal is used widely in The Netherlands, and also in their former colony, Indonesia.   

They are widely used for diarrhea and stomach upsets as others have mentioned.  I always carry a small packet in my meds kit when travelling abroad.

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

ER uses 25 - 100 GRAM ... and this packet of 10 =  2.5 gram

With stomach up set you should always start with the CAR-BON and if in a few days no relief from symptoms check with a doctor but there are far to many antibiotic prescribed here for too many thing. I use carbon to good effect and haven had to use anything stronger in many of my year here.

And, don't be surprised if your stool is darker than normal.  Some people even report totally black, but I think that's more likely with longer term usage and/or higher dosage.

...the best one...by far....was...Ultr* Carb*n ___ (24th letter of the alphabet).....

...alas...it appears to have mysteriously disappeared from everywhere...???

...blocked by !@#$%^& distributors....???

...to have its market stolen by an inferior Thai knockoff...???

22 hours ago, rwill said:

I have used it several times with no issues.  It depends on what is wrong with you whether it will help or not.  It can help a lot better with food poisoning than Imodium.

As far as i know Imodium shuts your system down to stop diarrhea. Doesn't really work on the causes. People tend to get constipated. Trade one problem for another.

Archived