Getting a school document certified at the MOE

I'm moving to Dubai and the schools over there want a School Transfer Certificate stating that the children were at our current school (a Bangkok international school) and have progressed to the next year group. No problem getting that from the school. However, it has to be attested/certified at the Ministry of Education before I can send it to the UAE Embassy for their certification. I've tried a few lawyers and they say they only deal with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs not the MOE. Does anyone know how to get documents like this certified at the MOE - there's no info about it on their website.

I've worked in international schools in Asia for nearly 30 years in three different countries and had students transfer to the UAE. That is a highly unusual request.

I'd start by having the current school sign and put their seal on the documents and send them to the new school. As long as there is something that looks official, it's highly unlikely that the folks at the UAE school will ask for more. If they do, get a contact and ask someone from your current school to make direct contact. Documents sent from one known international school to another are common and are usually (almost always) accepted as being valid. 

• 4 weeks later...

International schools in Thailand do not follow the standard Thai curriculum and are basically a private business unlike the government schools. Just take the documents from the school and go to the MOE. They will check their "Private School Approval" list and put a stamp on the documents if it's on the list. Take a Thai speaker with you. Preferably a government worker as they speak the "language". :wai:

Archived