Starbucks licenses Thai operations to Charoen-backed venture

snoop1130

Starbucks licenses Thai operations to Charoen-backed venture

800x800 (1).jpg

A Starbucks logo is seen on an espresso machine in a store inside the Tom Bradley terminal at LAX airport in Los Angeles, California, United States, October 27, 2015. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Starbucks Corp said on Thursday that a company controlled by Thai billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi and a Hong Kong-based firm had won an exclusive deal to operate and develop its retail business in Thailand.

The agreement, which it expects to close this month, is with Coffee Concepts, a joint venture between Hong Kong-based Maxim's Caterers Limited and F&N Retail Connection Co. Ltd, a company owned by Chareon's Thai Beverage Pcl.

Thai Beverage, known for its pale lager Chang beer, has non-alcoholic drinks portfolio that includes carbonated drinks and green tea.

Starbucks began operations in Thailand in 1998 and has 372 stores in the market.

Maxim's Caterers has been Starbucks' partner in Hong Kong since 2000 and also operates stores in Cambodia, Singapore and Vietnam. Under the agreement, Maxim's Caterers will oversee the retail operations and new store development in Thailand.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-23

37 minutes ago, Cats4ever said:

Why the fascination with Starbucks; it is pretty ordinary coffee in my book. There again I have had the chance to try some good stuff here in Oz and in Vietnam.

I love coffee, that means no Starbucks.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Under the agreement, Maxim's Caterers will oversee the retail operations and new store development in Thailand.

So that's Maxim's future role in Thailand's Starbucks' operations... But what about the other partner, ThaiBev?  What's their role going to be?

Sit back and collect their share of the profit on the basis of being the required Thai partner interest in any venture here?

On 5/24/2019 at 12:18 PM, hansnl said:

I love coffee, that means no Starbucks.

Yes indeed. Have to pay a lot of money for nothing special. I am sure I recently read that Nescafe had got the contract to supply Starbucks - say no more. The local coffee from the Northern Thai hills is exceptional albeit a little strong like Vietnamese coffee.  

On 5/24/2019 at 11:40 AM, Cats4ever said:

Why the fascination with Starbucks; it is pretty ordinary coffee in my book. There again I have had the chance to try some good stuff here in Oz and in Vietnam.

especially in Vietnam...your dam right!!!

48 minutes ago, Bipolar said:

Hmm...just wondering if those at TMN knew about this and was trying to sabotage the news by putting this article up first this morning: 

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/thailand’s-office-workers-branded-coffee-drinking-culture-will-be-a-boom-to-the-local-healthcare-segment

Must say that they were cheeky!

And there's the real reason for Starbucks customers:

Just take look at any Office Tower in Bangkok these days, and you will find either a Starbucks or some other knock off branded coffee outlets with a long queue of local office workers. Many of these office workers despite being on one of the lowest monthly salaries compared to any other well-developed cities around the world, can always be seen holding a cup of these coffee as a sort of status symbol.

They could be selling sulfuric acid in a cup as long as there's face to be gained.

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

And there's the real reason for Starbucks customers:

They could be selling sulfuric acid in a cup as long as there's face to be gained.

That's not true.  Understanding a bit about Asian culture would dispel the myths.  Thailand is making big bucks.  Far more so than the poor expats who have taken a currency bath on the baht.  Let them have their cake and espresso too.  

On 5/24/2019 at 11:40 AM, Cats4ever said:

Consistency and options.

It’s a struggle to even find non fat or skim milk in most cafes here. 

They are building a 3 story shop up in the local market,

must be expecting big business,but not from me,never

even been inside a Starbucks, what am i missing,is it

the elixir of life ,just what the area needs, there are 

already about 6 coffee shops in easy walking distance.

anyway i am a teaman ,tried coffee once in McDonalds

it was terrible,really terrible

regards worgeordie

I drink black coffee in the mornings, Starbucks is ok, as is McDonalds coffee - I'm no connoisseur, on the rare occasions I go into "coffee" shops most are not drinking coffee they are drinking milky, highly sweetend crap, which may or may not have coffee in - they wouldn't have a clue - or care, more about being seen IMO !

Many coffee lovers dislike Starbucks coffee. However, some would say the coffee is not really the main draw (even though coffee and coffee beverages account for the majority of profits. 

Starbucks' draw is a "third space" between home and work. It's comfortable, clean and trendy. 

Screenshot_20190527-194845_Chrome.jpg.82822a2da88f2b7a46a4a4590d855080.jpg

17 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Starbucks' draw is a "third space" between home and work. It's comfortable, clean and trendy. 

Used to be pubs filling that void. O tempora, o mores. Now it's diginomads hogging the tables for their work. Ugh.

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Starbucks' draw is a "third space" between home and work. It's comfortable, clean and trendy

Yes, highly popular with locals and tourists both. The best branches have good chairs, good views and often great music if you like classic jazz like Miles Davis and Chet Baker. Their toasted sandwiches are tasty and crisp, and their cappuccino is a good size. Some places are better, sure but others such as Coffee World and Au Bon Pain put an absurd amount of foam on top, so it's far from being the worst of the bunch.

I was in Saigon incidentally around 5 or 6 years ago, a few weeks after they opened Vietnam's first Starbucks. Even with the country's renowned coffee culture, the place was mobbed.

3 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Let's hope Charoen changes the current Starbucks uniform into something a little more sexy. That's what the coffee shop needs, spicing up. Woo those customers in. 

Not sure if Thai Starbucks has an affirmative action policy. There's a very high proportion of gay and lesbian staff, one store I know is staffed almost entirely by the latter. 

10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Used to be pubs filling that void. O tempora, o mores. Now it's diginomads hogging the tables for their work. Ugh.

True. Everyone's getting more serious with their laptops and briefcases.

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Not sure if Thai Starbucks has an affirmative action policy. There's a very high proportion of gay and lesbian staff, one store I know is staffed almost entirely by the latter. 

They pay for employee college tuition in America.  Don't know if they do that in Thailand.

25 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

True. Everyone's getting more serious with their laptops and briefcases.

When I go to the mall I take a tablet.  It's easier to shop and the tablet also doubles as a phone (use ear piece).  Not expensive 11000 for a new one. When shopping I carry a kidney shaped shoulder bag and it fits all my stuff. 

They ask your name and write it on the cup, so when it's ready they call you by name. Genius.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

They pay for employee college tuition in America.  Don't know if they do that in Thailand.

I suspect it's unlikely. They have two types of stores: company stores and licensee stores. I suspect such a perk is limited in most cases to its company stores, but it's just a guess. 

Starbucks don't like paying taxes in the UK. They charge the same price in CM as they do in London...but the rent is cheaper and the wages are cheaper in CM. The workers in a typical SB have to wok 4 hrs to buy a cup of coffee. The customers always seem posey to me..sat there with their coffee and gazing into Apple laptops - ooh look at me - I can afford to be here...I can afford it too, but I wont. Starbucks marketing psychologists are clever...but not clever enough for me.  

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

When I go to the mall I take a tablet.  It's easier to shop and the tablet also doubles as a phone (use ear piece).  Not expensive 11000 for a new one. When shopping I carry a kidney shaped shoulder bag and it fits all my stuff. 

I did that for awhile but my mates started calling it a manpurse, so I just got a big phone instead. 6"

Archived