Defiant Thanathorn rejects court order, vows to pursue prime minister’s post

webfact

Defiant Thanathorn rejects court order, vows to pursue prime minister’s post

messageImage_1558617671643.jpg

A defiant Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit announced Thursday night that he disagreed with the Constitutional Court’s order to suspend his parliamentary membership and vowed to press ahead with his pursuit of the prime minister’s position in the new parliament.

Speaking at a media conference, held at the party’s head office a few hours after the Constitution Court accepted for consideration his media share ownership case from the Election Commission and ordered his parliamentary membership to be suspended temporarily, the firebrand Future Forward party leader questioned whether the court and the EC had been fair to him, citing the secretive manner in which his case had been handled.

As far as the EC is concerned, Thanathorn claimed that the Commission had wrapped up his case and sent to the Constitutional Court before the investigating panel had finished its probe and it was still due to question more witnesses, scheduled for May 24th.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/defiant-thanathorn-rejects-court-order-vows-to-pursue-prime-ministers-post/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-24

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quite a few years involved in politics myself, i've never seen such a clear cut case of one man willing to sacrifice everything for not only democracy, but freedom of speech and equality, thoroughly impressed, i would love to see the expat community (whereever they may be located) to get behind this movement, we all know inequality is an ugly beast in thailand, and it's now time to set things straight - go thanathorn

28 minutes ago, perthuniversity said:

quite a few years involved in politics myself, i've never seen such a clear cut case of one man willing to sacrifice everything for not only democracy, but freedom of speech and equality, thoroughly impressed, i would love to see the expat community (whereever they may be located) to get behind this movement, we all know inequality is an ugly beast in thailand, and it's now time to set things straight - go thanathorn

Be nice if he turned up today in his uniform, as a complete 'up yours' to these corrupt creatures

53 minutes ago, perthuniversity said:

Unfortunately expats have not one iota of political,social or cultural clout in this country.They are in fact,the most disempowered group of Westerners that I have ever observed in all of my ramblings about the planet.

Mr Thanathorn would be burnt toast indeed if the xenophobic Thais perceived that he was supported by "us".

Tho' I agree with your sentiments in the larger sense.

1 hour ago, perthuniversity said:

Well, I cannot agree really with anything you have proposed.

1. The only thing we see and "know" are a result of the optics that we are exposed to. We don't know anything of the internal workings or motivations of this man or his party. They may be good, or they be not good. 

2. Why would the expat community get behind ANY Thai political movement? Thailand does its best to alienate Farangs at every opportunity. We have ZERO rights in Thailand. Getting involved in Thai politics would be disastrous for the expat community. It is a VERY bad idea.

Let the Thais fix Thai problems. That is how they want it.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the firebrand Future Forward party leader questioned whether the court and the EC had been fair to him, citing the secretive manner in which his case had been handled.

good, exactly what this place needs , even if destined to be a martyr

1 hour ago, perthuniversity said:

Why do people think that Thailand is ready and willing to embrace TRUE democracy? the old guard that comprises of both current generals, captains of industry, billionaires and political heavies will simply not allowed a young mavric, firebrand new kid on the block to change the rules of the game they worked so hard to hone and put in place to insure their continuation of controlling the people and the wealth of this country...

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

2. Why would the expat community get behind ANY Thai political movement? Thailand does its best to alienate Farangs at every opportunity. We have ZERO rights in Thailand. Getting involved in Thai politics would be disastrous for the expat community. It is a VERY bad idea.

Let the Thais fix Thai problems. That is how they want it.

Agree, and yet we can't help but be stakeholders in this, down to the most avowedly apolitical of us.  In a sense, we already are involved.

9 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Oh dear,  no doubt the Junta will now mobilise their snipers.

They have shot dead their own on the street in 2010, so they would have no qualms about slotting a troublesome businessman threatening their power

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Maybe Thanathorn has the cojones to lead the way.

The powers that be are currently busy nailing his cojones to the door.

The louder he barks the bigger the stick they will beat him with.

His obvious popularity with young votes makes him a serious threat to the old guard and they will do whatever it takes to be rid of him.

As we sip our morning coffee there is likely some horrible little worm somewhere going through everything Thanathorn has ever said to see if they can fit him up with the ultimate charge .

3 hours ago, perthuniversity said:

i would love to see the expat community (whereever they may be located) to get behind this movement, we all know inequality is an ugly beast in thailand, and it's now time to set things straight - go thanathorn

We ( expat ) don't have to intervene  in Thai politics ; it's their country, even if you are right with your feelings ( and mine ) 

I remember, during the red shirts period, a stupid farang was in a protest march with Thai people; he was arrested by police, he had nothing to do there 

2 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

The members making up the Constitutional Court might well end up in deep sh1t should he become Prime Minister!

Regards,

Joe

In Thailand, governments have no power on the judiciary.

I am dismayed and aghast at the overt corruption and backroom finagling that is being accepted by the population as "that's how it is done here".  Three months to negotiate a "deal" to get the same government that the general public voted to be rid of!

42 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

They have shot dead their own on the street in 2010, so they would have no qualms about slotting a troublesome businessman threatening their power

And don't forget the murder squad operating with apparent impunity in Laos against Thais

48 minutes ago, Aforek said:

We ( expat ) don't have to intervene  in Thai politics ; it's their country, even if you are right with your feelings ( and mine ) 

I remember, during the red shirts period, a stupid farang was in a protest march with Thai people; he was arrested by police, he had nothing to do there 

I remember that. An Aussie who went on stage to speak to the crowd and a seriously off his head Enlish fella who shouted off about looting and burning Central world, on video!!

I tend to agree. it's not our fight, but having said that Im beyond aghast at what's transpiring. Bringing up a kid here, I believe Im entitled to an opinion, but there's not a lot I can do beyond that. My wife is a junta supporter which leads to a few disagreements. She's right though, if it concerns me so much, I can always leave.

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think its bad news, but as far as I read here its temporarily until investigation is done ?. There is no conclusion yet or am i misreading it ?

The investigation can go on for as long as people will accept it. No need to make it official unless they really have to. 

18 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

And don't forget the murder squad operating with apparent impunity in Laos against Thais

speaking of that, does anyone know what happened to the guys arrested on the Vietnamese border?? I believe they couldve gone the same way. Anyone know any different?

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

The investigation can go on for as long as people will accept it. No need to make it official unless they really have to. 

Yes of course I am not saying it is fair, saying that nothing has been decided yet. Or at least not made public what they decided. I want to see what they have to prove Thanathorn was in the wrong. He seems to think he is in the right and can prove it.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes of course I am not saying it is fair, saying that nothing has been decided yet. Or at least not made public what they decided. I want to see what they have to prove Thanathorn was in the wrong. He seems to think he is in the right and can prove it.

Nothing needs to be decided - that's my point. Just suspend him 'til the investigation is over. When will it be over? When people start kicking up a fuss and demanding an answer. By suspending him they can easily backtrack if it all goes wrong. 

35 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

All I see is another rich man trying to buy his way to the PMship, power and means to increase his wealth. Claims of sainthood are a trifle premature.

How did you ever become so cynical?

I don't have a horse in this race, only because I can't. But I can just imagine how dejected many Thais, who pinned their hopes on Thanathorn, must feel as they watch him get screwed over by the junta and its self serving, highly prejudiced departments.

But if I did have a horse in the race, its name would be Than.

Archived