Defiant Thanathorn rejects court order, vows to pursue prime minister’s post

webfact

33 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I don't think he will be found in the wrong in this case because of the knock-on effect for other MPs , particularly in the Palangpracharat party. If the court only takes action against him but not the others who hold shares in "publishing" companies, the bias of the court will be too blatant (and, yes, other cases have been filed with the EC and CCt on this). They will more likely go after him on the 110 million Baht loan he made to FFP as there will be no fallout on other parties. 

Unfortunately logic and rationality has really nothing to do with it.

This country has slipped the leash.

As much as I admire your posts you seem to be unable to grasp the reality of the situation.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/25/2019 at 11:00 PM, ratcatcher said:

Being the scion of a well established Thai-Chinese business family (Summit Group, Thailand's largest auto parts manufacturer), it is only to be expected that he speaks English based on his education record.

("Thanathorn attended the Triam Udom Suksa School in Bangkok. After graduating from high school, Thanathorn obtained a joint-honours Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.) in Mechanical Engineering from Thammasat University and the University of Nottingham.[6] During this time, he became President of the Thammasat University Students Union in 1999, and was later named deputy secretary-general of the Students Federation of Thailand.[7] He later decided to pursue his interest in social and economic issues and obtained three master’s degrees: one in Political Economy from Chulalongkorn University, one in Global Finance from Stern School of Business, New York University and one in International Business Law from the University of St. Gallen.[8])

I daresay there are few people in this country with a better educational record than this man, a record that shows that with a good cabinet of similarly qualified forward thinkers, he poses a massive threat to the "powers that be" and is the man to lead this country out of the gloom that it seems to have been in for a good number of years.

It is also interesting to note that his uncle Suriya is one of the leaders of Phalang Pracharat, one of the main supporters of the junta. He was also Transport Minister under Thaksin.

Worth a read:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanathorn_Juangroongruangkit

Put in rather crude terms, he scares the shit out of the establishment.

Very interesting facts you presented there.

Thanks!

I like to read and research in the 12 years i been here but i never came accross any of those points you mentioned.

very interesting.

On 5/25/2019 at 10:15 PM, scorecard said:

- Ever heard of freedom of speech?

- Do you not realize many folks on TV have families here, and they want a better situation for their kids and grandkids? So they speak up, I do!

freedom of speech?? lol

That really is a bit funny because you are quoting an American style value and using it in Thailand!

Reminds me of others on here that comment on Thai judicial proceedings and then quote American law to argue why Thais are doing illegal stuff.

very funny.

lol

Are you at all aware of certain laws here that make feedom of speech a bit of a legal minefield??

I disagree that freedom of speech is an American style value, the concept is global and in reality is not the reason why i made the initial comment, which is quite obvious.

You continue by saying "... reminds me of others on here that comment on Thai judicial proceedings and then quote American law to argue why Thais are doing illegal stuff.

very funny."   Further if you cared to check a few of my past posts I have reminded many posters of exactly that point. 

I didn't quote any American law, none, so your comment is way off topic and irrelevant.  You seem to be saying the freedom of speech instantly relates to American laws, what rubbish and again I made no indication of this in any way. 

Yes I am well aware the in Thailand both Thais and non-Thais need to be careful what they say because of Thai libel laws. Nothing I said in my post could be seen as breaking those libel laws. 

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I disagree that freedom of speech is an American style value, the concept is global and in reality is not the reason why i made the initial comment, which is quite obvious.

You continue by saying "... reminds me of others on here that comment on Thai judicial proceedings and then quote American law to argue why Thais are doing illegal stuff.

very funny."   Further if you cared to check a few of my past posts I have reminded many posters of exactly that point. 

I didn't quote any American law, none, so your comment is way off topic and irrelevant.  You seem to be saying the freedom of speech instantly relates to American laws, what rubbish and again I made no indication of this in any way. 

Yes I am well aware the in Thailand both Thais and non-Thais need to be careful what they say because of Thai libel laws. Nothing I said in my post could be seen as breaking those libel laws. 

well i do not take a habit of searching through peoples entire posting history before i make 1 reply. 

That would be a bit creepy and i havent the time for it.

Your 3rd paragraph is also bit puzzling, because i did say....

"reminds me of OTHERS on here that..."

which clearly does not imply i was directing it at you but..err..others!

As for "freedom of speech" would not most people not associate those words with the American constitution?  

or am i missing something?

and i stand by my point that there are many countrys in the world where some forms of freedom of speech can get you locked up!

Archived