UK's May hangs on after Brexit gambit backfires

webfact

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You think Trump will talk up Boris? I'm not sure if Trump will have forgotten Boris' comments from 2015: 

"I think Donald Trump is clearly out of his mind if he thinks that's a sensible way to proceed, to ban people going to the United States in that way, or to any country. What he's doing is playing the game of the terrorists and those who seek to divide us. That's exactly the kind of reaction they hope to produce.

"When Donald Trump says there are parts of London that are ‘no go’ areas, I think he’s betraying a quite stupefying ignorance that makes him frankly unfit to hold the office of President of the United States."

You may well be right but you can be sure that Boris will be sucking up to Trump at every opportunity.  And Trump does love an a*se licker.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Being a bit sensitive today aren't we ????

I was referring to the moronic Brexiteer MPs who will be putting their grubby hands up and shouting "Choose me".  I've got plenty of Brexiteer friends that are certainly not morons. Even some on TV.  You really should read the posts a little more carefully before having a hissy fit.

You have Brexiteer friends that are not morons ? lucky you. Not many left who are not so you must have cornered the market. ???? Tell me do your Brexiteer friends still think the UK will leave the EU ?  The ones on here and elsewhere seem amassed or are in denial thinking UK has not left already  ????????

15 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

You have Brexiteer friends that are not morons ? lucky you. Not many left who are not so you must have cornered the market. ???? Tell me do your Brexiteer friends still think the UK will leave the EU ?  The ones on here and elsewhere seem amassed or are in denial thinking UK has not left already  ????????

My Brexiteer friends tend to be angry that they have been lied to and that they are not getting what they voted for.  But they do believe that what they were promised would have been preferable to remaining in a very flawed EU.  We certainly have some common ground on the faults with Brussels but I think we should fight those injustices from within rather than just walking away.  They think differently.

34 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Does anyone know if parliament has the ability to force the new PM to request an extension beyond Oct. 31? Alternatively, can they approach the EU directly outside of the PM's office to request this extension? Basically, is there any secondary play that anyone could make to push the date out beyond Oct 31 without the support of the new PM?  Or if the new PM elects to sit on his hands and run the clock out, is that the end of it?

That's a great question, and probably the most pertinent one at this point. The Parliamentary process is extremely complicated as we've all learnt over the past couple of years, so it's hard to figure out all the possible permutations. 

All I know is that currently we leave on Oct 31st by law, and so to prevent that from happening I assume the law would need to be changed by an act of Parliament. I think an MP would put forward a bill in Parliament to be voted on (i.e. a bill to request an extension from the EU). If that bill is passed by a majority of MPs then an extension would be requested. And we all know the majority of MPs are remainers. 

As John Bercow is a fervent remainer, and he gets to decide which amendments to bills can be proposed, I guess that would make an extension more likely. He was supposed to be stepping down this summer, but apparently he is threatening to stay because he might not get his peerage due to his bias actions on Brexit. 

All that said, if the EU refuse to grant an extension that'll be the end of it! 

5 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

My Brexiteer friends tend to be angry that they have been lied to and that they are not getting what they voted for.  But they do believe that what they were promised would have been preferable to remaining in a very flawed EU.  We certainly have some common ground on the faults with Brussels but I think we should fight those injustices from within rather than just walking away.  They think differently.

Most don't think or unable to comprehend that this is the 21st century and not the 19th, the latter is what they lust after.

47 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Most don't think or unable to comprehend that this is the 21st century and not the 19th, the latter is what they lust after.

Well the Brexiteers I know are mainly in the UK so maybe they have a better grip on reality than those who live abroad anyway.  That is not a slur on any ex-pats it is just that actually living in the UK allows you see the effects of Brexit up close and personally.

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Well the Brexiteers I know are mainly in the UK so maybe they have a better grip on reality than those who live abroad anyway.  That is not a slur on any ex-pats it is just that actually living in the UK allows you see the effects of Brexit up close and personally.

The effects on many workers now and potentially British Steel workers, are quite chronic I think ( and it was warned about early 2016 ) and with global media these days you do not have to live in the UK full time, part time or whatever to have a good appreciation of what the "Brexit effect" is really having  on jobs, the economy and the credibility of the UK as a trading nation.

12 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You better never complain about “unelected” EU politicians again. Seems like your very own PM is “unelected”. 

And she became 'unelected' from within the UK when it was necessary. That's the difference with the UK and the EU, and another reason why we don't want the EU commissioners. 
Right - tell me how we can 'unelect' Juncker, Tusk, Verhofstadt, Barnier and the rest of them?

...what a travesty....

...this is a democracy....???

....and stating...'U.K.'s May'.....???

...what a pathetic charade.....

...that disgusting...'form of a woman' has nothing to do with the British peoples' interests....

....and the media does not skip a beat perpetuating this farce....

...that is the unseen force clearly at work here.....

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Being a bit sensitive today aren't we ????

I was referring to the moronic Brexiteer MPs who will be putting their grubby hands up and shouting "Choose me".  I've got plenty of Brexiteer friends that are certainly not morons. Even some on TV.  You really should read the posts a little more carefully before having a hissy fit.

Sorry if I unjustly tarred you with a brush aimed at the kind of Remainer who regards all Leave voters as dimwits. Happy to hear you are not among those sneering ranks.

When it comes to moronic MP's, I would argue that - despite today's resignation - the Remain side can more than hold its own.

Archived