IKEA Thailand kicks off nationwide online store

webfact

IKEA Thailand kicks off nationwide online store

By   KWANCHAI RUNGFAPAISARN 
THE NATION

b8e68dcccce9d9ec59eaacd5c46af972.jpeg

IKEA Thailand yesterday announced the official launch of its IKEA Online Store as it gets set to promote accessibility to individual consumers across Thailand.

The seamless online shopping experience will offer the same journey and impression customers get when they visit a physical IKEA store, promised the company executives.

“We see the potential – it is a potential in Thailand for IKEA. We have only been accessible within Bangkok so far, and now we will be accessible for people from across the country,” Lacia Sherlock, the deputy retail manager for Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines, said.

“So we think it has potential. The delivery prices need to be affordable and all the services need to be accessible for consumers living outside of Bangkok, so that they are able to get the assembly or whatever they need.” 

Over the past decades, IKEA has revolutionised the furniture and home decor industry through differentiated and unique ideas such as flat-packs, the iconic IKEA blue box store, showrooms offering practical in-store experiences and home decorating inspirations for everyone. As well there is their do-it-yourself (DIY) “We do our part, you do your part” concept, and bulk production to offer quality, affordable, functional and well-designed furniture and decorating items for people around the world.

IKEA is committed to developing products and services to create a better everyday life for the masses, and is now attempting to meet the changing lifestyles of modern shoppers who spend a considerable amount of time online. To respond to that change, IKEA developed an e-commerce platform for modern shoppers providing a convenient channel to access it products and inspirations, 24 hours a day and from anywhere in Thailand.

Sherlock said it took IKEA about two years to study the market demand, develop the infrastructure, and prepare everything before launching their e-commerce service in Southeast Asia.

“We aim to provide an impressive online shopping experience similar to the shopping experience customers get when visiting our physical stores,” she said. The online store has been available in Singapore and Malaysia within Southeast Asia. “We are pleased to now be able to provide this access to Thais. We have been wanting to do this for a long time, along with providing them with a superior experience and inspiration through both of our two Bangkok stores,” said Sherlock.

IEA soft-launched its e-commerce service in Thailand on March 26 in order to test the system and procedures and ensure they were fully functional before today’s official launch.

“Based on the soft launch I’m going to say [customer growth] was faster than Malaysia, and probably at the same pace as Singapore. So Malaysia had 5 per cent after six months and we had 5 per cent after eight weeks. So definitely faster than Malaysia, which is a surprise actually. And Singapore started out at about 7 per cent and are now on 10 per cent, so I think Thailand is probably more on Singapore’s pace,” said Sherlock.

The company also has a plan to roll out the e-commerce business in other emerging countries, in which it has a physical presence.

“We will always have physical presence together with the e-commerce platform. And the next store in the market for us is Manila, the Philippines, in November 2020,” she added. Tom Suter, the store manager for IKEA Bang Yai said, “We are grateful to IKEA’s fans who have welcomed IKEA Online Store and provided us with valuable feedback so that we could further improve our services.”

The online store chalked up 1,344,700 visits and 4,900 orders at IKEA.co.th during the two-month test run, Suter noted.

“We are looking at achieving 17,000 online orders this year. We believe that the IKEA Online Store will help strengthen IKEA Thailand and drive sustainable growth, as our popular in-store shopping experience is complemented by our new online offering.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Corporate/30369896

thenation_logo.jpg

4 minutes ago, csmith said:

Just tried their website https://IKEA.co.th on my iPad

Page loaded but links in the site didn't work .… is it just me or are others having problems.?

No, it's not just you.  I've been trying for several days just to sign in to my account.  Wouldn't accept my password so I went through the cumbersome password reset process--still got the 'Oops, something went wrong' message. One time I got a message they were working to upgrade something.  Decided to try setting up a new account using a second email account I have and got the same Oops message.   The 'Buy On-line' tab didn't seem to work.  At various times my shopping cart says I have products in it but when I click to bring it up it is empty.  Disappointing since this is IKEA and not some Mom and Pop operation.

They have been online for years in Thailand. They used to have great 3D tools which allowed you to design a kitchen online. We did not buy from them but we did our kitchen that way 4 years ago. 

I used their online service about 2/3 weeks back.

Just placed a small order that only needed a parcel delivery. Paid by local bank card. The process, from setting up online account to placing order and having that delivered (in Pattaya) within 2/3 days, went just fine.

I ordered some furniture online a month or so ago no problem.  But the last couple of days I was trying to place an order and the cart icon shows items in the cart.  But when you click on it the cart is empty.  There is some message you get about they might have too much traffic.  But I tried in off hours too, same result.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Disappointing since this is IKEA and not some Mom and Pop operation.

Yes, but this is Thailand. I went to a site looking for a floor fan item, and the website proudly announced in poor English that they were expanding internationally. And some of the links I then clicked on were just jumbled garbage. I emailed them about the problem and that was ignored - no reply and the site remained useless.

Terrific that we will finally have a way to get decent office chairs and standing desks in Chiang Mai. The local furniture shops are rubbish.

Delivery to my house and, then, up to the intended room, will only be 2,200. If it works the same as IKEA in other countries, that charge covers you for as many items as you buy in that order.

Assembly is also available for an additional charge but, this being Thailand, probably better to do it myself, fairly easy anyway.

I was having issues with the online ordering on the Ikea website, using Chrome (on a mac) but tried with Safari and it all worked fine - was able to place an order ok.

So maybe try a different web browser.....

8 hours ago, aqua4 said:

They have been online for years in Thailand. They used to have great 3D tools which allowed you to design a kitchen online. We did not buy from them but we did our kitchen that way 4 years ago. 

True but only with a very restricted delivery area. 

If you take a look at delivery costs they are ridiculous at something like 2,000 Baht up country.

31 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you take a look at delivery costs they are ridiculous at something like 2,000 Baht up country.

If it saves a trip to Bangkok that can more than pay for itself in fuel alone. Not to mention the convenience.

9 hours ago, aqua4 said:

But you couldnt order online. 

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

True but only with a very restricted delivery area. 

2,000 baht to send furniture upcountry is ridiculous?

Archived