EU citizens angry at being denied a vote in UK

webfact

EU citizens angry at being denied a vote in UK

2019-05-23T161456Z_1_LYNXNPEF4M1I3_RTROPTP_4_EU-ELECTION-BRITAIN-MAY.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May and her husband Philip leave after voting in theEuropean Parliament Elections, taking place despite Brexit uncertainty, in Sonning, Britain, May 23, 2019. REUTERS/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - Hundreds of EU citizens trying to cast their vote for the European Parliament elections in the United Kingdom on Friday have been turned away because of administrative mistakes, a campaign group said.

Britain was not supposed to be taking part in the elections for the European Parliament as it was due to leave the bloc on March 29. However, the rejection of the divorce deal that Prime Minister Theresa May struck with Brussels meant Brexit was delayed until October, requiring the vote to go ahead.

Large numbers of EU nationals recounted on Twitter how they had arrived at polling stations to find their names had been crossed off the list of eligible voters, saying officials had failed to deal with the necessary forms in time.

"I'm an EU citizen and registered to vote in time, but apparently my form saying that I was going to vote in the UK didn't arrive before the deadline," said Ana Clara Paniago.

The UK's election watchdog said if an EU citizen wanted to vote in Britain rather than their home state, they had to transfer their right to do so 12 days ahead of the poll.

"We understand the frustration of some citizens of other EU member states, resident in the UK, who have been finding they are unable to vote today when they wish to do so," the Electoral Commission said in a statement.

"The very short notice from the government of the UK's participation in these elections impacted on the time available for awareness of this process amongst citizens, and for citizens to complete the process."

The 3million group, which campaigns in Britain on behalf of EU citizens from the bloc's other 27 member states, said it had been contacted by hundreds of angry people who had been turned away when they tried to vote.

"It is outrageous that the incompetence and unwillingness of the government and the Electoral Commission have denied these people a vote," it said in a statement, calling for an investigation into what it called a "democratic disaster".

(Reporting by Michael Holden; editing by John Stonestreet)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-24

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

the Electoral Commission have denied these people a vote," it said in a statement, calling for an investigation into what it called a "democratic disaster".

Small point of contention here. It was the establishment remainers refusing to accept the referendum result which was the "democratic disaster" and led to the hot mess we are now in. By claiming they are somehow better than the people that actually won the referendum they set the ball rolling toward hostility. Without democracy we are reduced to settling disputes by who has the biggest stick, or who can flick the most Swan Vestas around. Not a good situation, compared to being mature and accepting democratic referendum results like a responsible adult.

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Small point of contention here. It was the establishment remainers refusing to accept the referendum result which was the "democratic disaster" and led to the hot mess we are now in. By claiming they are somehow better than the people that actually won the referendum they set the ball rolling toward hostility. Without democracy we are reduced to settling disputes by who has the biggest stick, or who can flick the most Swan Vestas around. Not a good situation, compared to being mature and accepting democratic referendum results like a responsible adult.

You have anything to add to the topic at hand?

Well said! I'm now confident though that the worm is turning.

Anything to blame ‘the others’ for the shambles in the UK. ‘A responsible adult’ shouldn’t do that.

This seems rather strange to me. Why should citizens of other EU countries be allowed to vote in UK elections? Should I protest not be allowed to vote in Thai elections as I am a US citizen?

19 minutes ago, Emdog said:

This seems rather strange to me. Why should citizens of other EU countries be allowed to vote in UK elections? Should I protest not be allowed to vote in Thai elections as I am a US citizen?

EU citizens are allowed to vote in EU elections. That is what the thread is about.

29 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Should a Texan voter be allowed to vote in Maine for US elections? 

41 minutes ago, stevenl said:

EU citizens are allowed to vote in EU elections. That is what the thread is about.

But I don't think they should be allowed to vote in this country. Only in there own which could be done by post

2nd Referendum is the only option . Obviously the eejits who voted leave have by now seen that they were fooled and lied to by snakes like farage and johnson . lets have a referendum and clear this mess up . Vote those tories out !!!

22 minutes ago, maingmoom said:

But I don't think they should be allowed to vote in this country. Only in there own which could be done by post

Why would anyone want to make the voting process more complicated rather than more easy for people? I thought we all want as many people as possible to participate in elections. 

17 minutes ago, Scutty said:

2nd Referendum is the only option . Obviously the eejits who voted leave have by now seen that they were fooled and lied to by snakes like farage and johnson . lets have a referendum and clear this mess up . Vote those tories out !!!

It seems to have gone without comment, but the Brexiteers here on TVF who are ardently against a second referendum clearly regard this EU election as ...... erm.... a... proxy second referendum.

Go riddle me that.

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It seems to have gone without comment, but the Brexiteers here on TVF who are ardently against a second referendum clearly regard this EU election as ...... erm.... a... proxy second referendum.

Even more so after EU citizens have been denied their right to participate. 

What they fail to see is that it doesn’t help them with their cause. They need a majority in parliament, not more meaningless polls. 

4 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

More to do with a silly woman whose Brexit proposal was not fit for purpose, when defeated in the commons continued to head butt the same wall, when warned that EU elections were inevitable buried her head in the sand until they kicked her in the butt.

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

Brits living in EU countries have the same rights...

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

Scutty,  for years the British people wanted out of the EU, when finally the referendum was announced, 

( only because the government thought they would win a remain vote ) The people voted for OUT, that's the way democracy is supposed to work, and not having corrupt politicians working now to stay in, so why can't you accept that, as for the lies, all politicians lie.

3 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Scutty,  for years the British people wanted out of the EU, when finally the referendum was announced, 

( only because the government thought they would win a remain vote ) The people voted for OUT, that's the way democracy is supposed to work, and not having corrupt politicians working now to stay in, so why can't you accept that, as for the lies, all politicians lie.

Democracies are supposed to work based on laws and people obeying laws. 

read up, MEP have no say at all they can spout off all they want, EU rules are made by the unelected commission,  once elected, they are just pissing in the wind, just look at Farage, they just smile , let him spout off, then things go on as normal, and what about the lady MEP, who listed the total corrupt spending, for eg. moving the head quarters, lock stock and barrel, then moving it back, for no reasons at all, that cost millions in itself, yep, nothing got done about that.

56 minutes ago, Scutty said:

How about a vote as to whether or not this qualifies for an "owzat!"?

Image result for cricket umpire out signal

1 hour ago, Scutty said:

Surely the EU election in the UK is the second referendum?

But not good enough for you because Brexit is likely to win again.

41 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Go riddle me that.

Whenever you've mentioned this the reply has consistantly been "bring it on" for which you have offered no further comment.

Your agenda isn't working.

Why didn't they vote in their own EU country then? by post, if needed, The UK was not supposed to be having these elections and has now wasted a 100M pounds I believe. Utter nonsense.

The Brexit party will win hands down anyway. 

2 hours ago, Scutty said:

We had a referendum, what do you want best of 5 ? Just leave

Poor old Johnny Foreigner not being able to vote in a foreign country, I wonder which way they would have voted.

Next thing they’ll want is to work and claim benefits, buy land and a house, access free healthcare, free schooling for their children, subsidised dental treatment, stand in elections, bring their families over. 

Only joking, no country could afford that amount of generosity surely.

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Whenever you've mentioned this the reply has consistantly been "bring it on" for which you have offered no further comment.

Your agenda isn't working.

Erm....

12 minutes ago, IssanMichael said:

We had a referendum, what do you want best of 5 ? Just leave

Archived