EU citizens angry at being denied a vote in UK

webfact

3 hours ago, maingmoom said:

But I don't think they should be allowed to vote in this country. Only in there own which could be done by post

I disagree, but up to you.

However that was not what the question I responded to said.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Surely the EU election in the UK is the second referendum?

But not good enough for you because Brexit is likely to win again.

So if the Brexit Party vote is 30%, and the anti-Brexit Party vote is 70%, you will accept that Brexit is no longer the "will of the people", not that it ever was?

3 hours ago, Scutty said:

2nd Referendum is the only option . Obviously the eejits who voted leave have by now seen that they were fooled and lied to by snakes like farage and johnson . lets have a referendum and clear this mess up . Vote those tories out !!!

Put that flogger down. That horse is dead. There will be no second referendum until after the result of the last one held is implemented. It's called democracy. Live with it.

Guest Jerry787

they scare of the results... lots of european oversea wish to change this badly managed EU

6 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

So if the Brexit Party vote is 30%, and the anti-Brexit Party vote is 70%, you will accept that Brexit is no longer the "will of the people", not that it ever was?

Which party is the anti Brexit party?

Corbyn has always been pro Brexit.

May supposedly leads Brexit.

Which party is the anti Brexit party?
Corbyn has always been pro Brexit.
May supposedly leads Brexit.
Daily Express today
Nick Timothy..former right hand man of t may.
Read what he says bout her...never for Brexit..all she wanted was a damage limitation job.
Pretty damning article..he puts the boot RIGHT into her..BIG TIME.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

57 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

Well you are not going to see those type of percentages you envisage, because CON and LAB both claim to be pro-Brexit. You would then have about 70% to Leave!

Time to get out of the EU mire.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

EU citizens are allowed to vote in EU elections. That is what the thread is about.

I get that, but elections are done by country. If I were Italian in England, I should do absentee vote for Italian candidates. If I were Texan living in Maine (and a resident, not temporary) then I would vote for Maine candidates after I registered. Both states are part of same country, so not a good analogy in my opinion

8 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Small point of contention here. It was the establishment remainers refusing to accept the referendum result which was the "democratic disaster" and led to the hot mess we are now in. By claiming they are somehow better than the people that actually won the referendum they set the ball rolling toward hostility. Without democracy we are reduced to settling disputes by who has the biggest stick, or who can flick the most Swan Vestas around. Not a good situation, compared to being mature and accepting democratic referendum results like a responsible adult.

A very significant point of contention would be that a "democratic" process has been struck off by the removal of  eligible voters in hasty anticipation of Brexit being accomplished despite the extraordinary protracted convoluted debated democratic failure to sort it out!

The UK participation in the EU vote  was not struck out in such anticipation, desired or not.

IMO the referendum results are/were being respected but with the recognition of the complex issues that are very relevant to the UK population in total  rather than the simplistic  desire of Brexiteers  to cut and run regardless has entailed the  very essence of  democracy despite the  wielding of cudgels all round.

Why would they want to vote in elections which are meaningless???

The elections were not going to happen.

Then we had to go along with procedures and call the election that were going to be cancelled.

Then yesterday we voted and on Sunday (2100hrs BST) 73 new British MEP's will be announced.

but will be told do not give up your day job as you will not be going to Brussels on the 1st July...  

They will probably be still there in five years time.

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

This seems rather strange to me. Why should citizens of other EU countries be allowed to vote in UK elections? Should I protest not be allowed to vote in Thai elections as I am a US citizen?

Seriously?? Jeez, no wonder you have Trump as a president.

5 hours ago, maingmoom said:

But I don't think they should be allowed to vote in this country. Only in there own which could be done by post

What you think is interesting, but irrelevant.

What matters is the law, and it has been violated.

18 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I get that, but elections are done by country. If I were Italian in England, I should do absentee vote for Italian candidates. If I were Texan living in Maine (and a resident, not temporary) then I would vote for Maine candidates after I registered. Both states are part of same country, so not a good analogy in my opinion

Should you not vote where you live, if you are registered as resident in the UK then you vote in the UK, likewise those that are resident should vote where they live, and those who live outside the EU should not have a vote in this issue. 

6 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

A very significant point of contention would be that a "democratic" process has been struck off by the removal of  eligible voters in hasty anticipation of Brexit being accomplished despite the extraordinary protracted convoluted debated democratic failure to sort it out!

The UK participation in the EU vote  was not struck out in such anticipation, desired or not.

IMO the referendum results are/were being respected but with the recognition of the complex issues that are very relevant to the UK population in total  rather than the simplistic  desire of Brexiteers  to cut and run regardless has entailed the  very essence of  democracy despite the  wielding of cudgels all round.

I think I understand what you are saying. Can we summarize it as - How dare you usurp our democratic process while we are usurping your democratic process? 

This thread reminds me what I like about radicalized remainers. Nothing at all.

4 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Democracies are supposed to work based on laws and people obeying laws. 

We have a law which states we are to Leave the EU on 29th March 2019.
Your type of democracy ignores that doesn't it? Why do Remainers not obey the law because they don't like it? Oh the hypocrisy of it all!

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

This seems rather strange to me. Why should citizens of other EU countries be allowed to vote in UK elections? Should I protest not be allowed to vote in Thai elections as I am a US citizen?

If you are a permanent resident in Thailand and pay your taxes to Thailand then yes you should be able to vote in Thai elections, (worth starting a campaign on), as I assume Thai's can vote in American elections. and hardly going to make any big differences to any results so I can not see any rational thinking in Thai opposition in giving the vote to long term alien residents. 

Maybe they are worried about Pattaya declaring UDI...

2 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

Poor old Johnny Foreigner not being able to vote in a foreign country, I wonder which way they would have voted.

Next thing they’ll want is to work and claim benefits, buy land and a house, access free healthcare, free schooling for their children, subsidised dental treatment, stand in elections, bring their families over. 

Only joking, no country could afford that amount of generosity surely.

I'm lovin' it. For the last 20 years or more UK politicians, particularly Tony B.liar & Co, embraced the influx of migrants from EU and elsewhere. It was all on the presumption that the new voters would vote for Liebour and be pro-EU. Johnny Foreigner voting here for UK MPs and MEPs, stinks of political engineering and vote fraud. But they've screwed it all up with this election. What a hoot! 

7 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I think I understand what you are saying. Can we summarize it as - How dare you usurp our democratic process while we are usurping your democratic process? 

This thread reminds me what I like about radicalized remainers. Nothing at all.

I see it another  way - Your rights in a democratic process as  residents have been dismissed despite we have not  yet ,if  ever, established any legitimate end point in our democratic process which  gives us any legitimate right to so do.

A faux pas  maybe  but indicative of the  cluster #.ck the UK is in.

17 minutes ago, Loiner said:

We have a law which states we are to Leave the EU on 29th March 2019.
Your type of democracy ignores that doesn't it? Why do Remainers not obey the law because they don't like it? Oh the hypocrisy of it all!

The  fact is that the UK  did  not leave and has  not yet. 

If the "law" is  set  aside  by requesting  two extensions to the application of that "law" then regardless  of reason the UK is obliged  to  continue in the continued existing obligations of membership of the EU.

For that reason EU elections involved the UK.  And under existing conditions of law as applied to residents  eligible to vote as presumably same for UK  citizens residing in other parts of the EU.

9 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Small point of contention here. It was the establishment remainers refusing to accept the referendum result which was the "democratic disaster" and led to the hot mess we are now in. By claiming they are somehow better than the people that actually won the referendum they set the ball rolling toward hostility. Without democracy we are reduced to settling disputes by who has the biggest stick, or who can flick the most Swan Vestas around. Not a good situation, compared to being mature and accepting democratic referendum results like a responsible adult.

Indeed you speak wisely!

Also who is investigating ‘EU’ immigrants voting in their own countries and ours. No one as those claiming not to be able to vote in today’s Guardian newspaper were all remainers. Why should foreign nationals be able vote outside their own country and try to change our political landscape. They should vote only in their own countries. Just another EU scam!

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

"If I were Italian in England, I should do absentee vote for Italian candidates."

Which is what they tried to do, but were not allowed to do.

6 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

Indeed you speak wisely!

Also who is investigating ‘EU’ immigrants voting in their own countries and ours. No one as those claiming not to be able to vote in today’s Guardian newspaper were all remainers. Why should foreign nationals be able vote outside their own country and try to change our political landscape. They should vote only in their own countries. Just another EU scam!

They are voting for their own countries EU candidates. Don't see how that changes your political landscape.

30 minutes ago, Loiner said:

I'm lovin' it. For the last 20 years or more UK politicians, particularly Tony B.liar & Co, embraced the influx of migrants from EU and elsewhere. It was all on the presumption that the new voters would vote for Liebour and be pro-EU. Johnny Foreigner voting here for UK MPs and MEPs, stinks of political engineering and vote fraud. But they've screwed it all up with this election. What a hoot! 

"Johnny Foreigner voting here for UK MPs and MEPs, stinks of political engineering and vote fraud."

Johnny Foreigner is voting for canditates in his homeland, not for UK MP's and MEP's.

10 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

Indeed you speak wisely!

The bulldogs in benidorm can vote for their local tommy robinson

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"Johnny Foreigner voting here for UK MPs and MEPs, stinks of political engineering and vote fraud."

Johnny Foreigner is voting for canditates in his homeland, not for UK MP's and MEP's.

Total rubbish. There was no option for any other countries candidates on the ballot form. There wasn't a selection of 27 other forms at the polling station which would give Johnny a vote for his homeland candidates. Do you think there are options for Brexit Party or UKIP on the Spanish ballots for the UK expats?

7 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Total rubbish. There was no option for any other countries candidates on the ballot form. There wasn't a selection of 27 other forms at the polling station which would give Johnny a vote for his homeland candidates. Do you think there are options for Brexit Party or UKIP on the Spanish ballots for the UK expats?

Who said there was? They will have received their ballot forms by mail, just as I presume you did?

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Who said there was? They will have received their ballot forms by mail, just as I presume you did?

No. Mine was a real one, at the ballot box.
If they had sorted out their postal votes properly they would not have a problem, the votes going to their home country. The other ones cannot expect to vote at UK polling stations for UK candidates. If they have established entitlement to a UK vote, then it falls into the political engineering category.

Archived