EU citizens angry at being denied a vote in UK

webfact

4 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

With the USA the EU has an agreement. And what was in the past... does NOT need to be the reality in the future.

If the UK leaves with "no deal", there is.. no deal, only WTO etc = … get a Schengen visa. 

Maybe but I doubt it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

With the USA the EU has an agreement. And what was in the past... does NOT need to be the reality in the future.

If the UK leaves with "no deal", there is.. no deal, only WTO etc = … get a Schengen visa. 

You are obviously not Spanish. Try telling them that you want to ruin one more of their few remaining industries. Why not tell Portugal to impose your rules too - they are already setting up new lanes to accommodate British tourists passports. 

40 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

Perhaps you should you should try reading it again. The OP clearly refers to EU nationals resident in the UK who have chosen to participate in the UK election, which they are entitled to do provided they have registered in advance. People who had registered were turning up at polling stations, only to find that their names were not on the electoral roll. Good for the Brexit Party, as I doubt whether many of these people would have been voting for them, but I'm sure it won't be crucial, rather like the votes from New Zealand that went astray during the Thai election.

Clearly, no, but I think you may be right. Otherwise I don't see how results of countries where votes have been counted already can be announced Sunday evening, when results of other countries are barely in.

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

EU citizens are allowed to vote in EU elections. That is what the thread is about.

That’s a fair point. So what’s stopping them from voting in their own country, surely they can use a postal vote. As it is,I suspect that when the results are announced on Sunday, a large proportion of the votes to the Liberal and Undemocratic Party in the London area,can be attributed not to British people,but to citizens of the E.U. Thus ensuring that the Libs have at least one MEP servant in Brussels.

16 hours ago, Stupooey said:

Of course I will. Not only that, if the Brexit Party vote is 70% I promise to run naked through the streets of London (and show you something to make you change your mind).

Luckily for me I live in Thailand.

9 hours ago, Thairealist said:

That’s a fair point. So what’s stopping them from voting in their own country, surely they can use a postal vote. As it is,I suspect that when the results are announced on Sunday, a large proportion of the votes to the Liberal and Undemocratic Party in the London area,can be attributed not to British people,but to citizens of the E.U. Thus ensuring that the Libs have at least one MEP servant in Brussels.

From the BBC news website dated 22 May 2019.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48351281

European elections: What are the rules for overseas voters?

UK citizens living abroad are able to vote either by postal vote or by proxy, when a registered person votes in the UK on their behalf.

Only three other EU countries allow citizens living abroad to vote using a proxy - the Netherlands, France and Belgium.

However, unlike 21 EU nations, the UK does not allow its nationals to vote in its overseas embassies and consulates.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:43 AM, Loiner said:

I'm lovin' it. For the last 20 years or more UK politicians, particularly Tony B.liar & Co, embraced the influx of migrants from EU and elsewhere. It was all on the presumption that the new voters would vote for Liebour and be pro-EU. Johnny Foreigner voting here for UK MPs and MEPs, stinks of political engineering and vote fraud. But they've screwed it all up with this election. What a hoot! 

Your ignorance is, yet again, to the fore!

EU nationals can vote in EU elections in their country of residence; whether they be Poles living in the UK, Brits living in Spain or whoever living wherever.

The only people who can vote in UK general elections are British, Irish and qualifying Commonwealth citizens.

But in order to vote in any election, one has to be registered. 

23 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

It's an election for EU MEP's by EU citizens. The arrangement is they all get to vote in which ever EU country they live in.

Indeed.

As said above by myself and earlier by others, provided they are on the register a Pole living in the UK can vote in the European elections in the UK, a Brit living in Spain can vote in the European elections in Spain etc.  

But all those Brexiteers who claim to be such firm believers in democracy don't like this democratic right!

Yet more Brexiteer hypocrisy. they only believe in democracy when doing so suits their argument.

Archived