Looking for rooting hormone with Indole-3-butyric acid

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some rooting hormone that contains Indole-3-butyric acid. The last info I saw was the thread below - that's now closed.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/930687-where-to-find-rooting-hormone-in-thailand/

The images from the above thread show a Thai made product, but I've asked at all my local nurseries and nobody seems to carry anything. Online the only thing I've found is an imported, over-priced 650B 50g bottle of Clonex from Lazada. I'm in Chanthaburi Province. Any suggestions or leads?

Thanks all

rooting.hormone2.jpg

Hi djeetyet - I'm in Ban Chang, Rayong Prov. I bought ROOT-FRO liquid rooting hormone 100ml, IBA 1.5% (in a red, yellow and green box, don't remember exact cost but was around Baht 150). Found it in a farm/garden supply shop in the main shopping street. They had other brands in stock too. So rather than visiting nurseries, you might have more luck in shops in Chan town around the market area. 

RoyDee - Thanks for the info and great suggestion - I'll check at my local farm stores. Was it called "ROOT-FRO", or was that a typo and it's actually Root-Pro? If you could post an image that would be helpful.

BTW - Did you get good results with this stuff?

Thanks

Hi again djeetyet ... it's definitely ROOT-FRO (not Pro). Having problem to attach a photo here from my phone .. if you message me your email address I'll send it that way. it did work with soft cuttings from flowering shrubs. I mixed the solution with water and applied to the cuttings in pots. Best take a Thai speaker shopping with you to explain exactly what you want. 

RoyDee,

I found a picture of Root-Fro on the web; apparently Shoppee used to sell it, but they don't anymore. ;-(

Checked out every farming supply shop in my town this morning, showing them the picture, but nobody carries anything with IBA (indole 3 butyric acid) as the active ingredient. One guy was familiar with IBA, and thought it was available in another town, but I couldn't figure out where he was referring to.

It's only for my small gardening hobby purposes - so if I can't find it, "mai pen lai". I guess I'll try honey as an anti-fungal agent for my cuttings and keep my eye open for it elsewhere.

Thanks for all your help.

Mr Ben

18 hours ago, RoyDee said:

Hi again djeetyet ... it's definitely ROOT-FRO (not Pro). Having problem to attach a photo here from my phone .. if you message me your email address I'll send it that way. it did work with soft cuttings from flowering shrubs. I mixed the solution with water and applied to the cuttings in pots. Best take a Thai speaker shopping with you to explain exactly what you want. 

further to the softwood bit...

are you @djeetyet, after softwood are hardwood version? if I recall, there is the Red and the Green labelled Clonex.

tifino - Clonex sound great, but too expensive my purpose - i.e. for a few cuttings. Yes, 3 "colors", per their web site: <<www.growthtechnology.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/CLONEX-GELS-more-info.pdf>>
CLONEX GREEN - contains 1.5g/L active constituent. Formulated for softwood cuttings.
CLONEX PURPLE - contains 3g/L active constituent.Formulated for semi hardwood cuttings.
CLONEX RED - contains 8g/L active constituent. Formulated for hardwood cuttings.

As my purpose is for general garden plant cuttings, the "softwood" option would probably be strong enough. I've never used IBA so am not sure.

canuckamuck - Ebay is a possibility as a last resort, for sure, though I'm thinking shipping would make it prohibitively expensive.

Any other ideas or places to buy it from? I do wish it was available from an on-line Thai shopping site.

Have you tried rooting without the hormone?

I usually just put the cutting in a glass of water, droops for the first two days, then perks up and grows roots over the next 4-5 days. I've done this with fresh cut herbs purchased in Rimping supermarket many times.

You should just try it.

@ djeetyet: Ah, that's a pity you couldn't find anything in Chan. If you ever drive through Ban Chang the shop I go to is (coming from the east on Hwy 3) just past the first traffic lights and on your left before the big 7-11.  They had a few choices in stock - I got the cheapest one!

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys - Root-Fro is now back as of Oct 08, 2019. You can get it at Lazada. 

<<https://www.lazada.co.th/products/root-fro-100-1-iba-i421748683-s804634852.html>>

DISCLAIMER: I have NO affiliation with any online vendor, company, or product. This is simply a FYI post as I've been extremely frustrated in trying to find something like this. It is not available at any nursery or farm product store in my area, and I visited many, many shops. I'm going to make a new post, too.

Happy gardening!

Archived