Medical certificate for retirement extension.

Is there an official instruction anywhere that states what a medical certificate must include? The reason for asking is that I have had 2 medicals, today and 3 months ago, in 2 different hospitals and 1 mentions x-ray and the latest one doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not required for retirement extensions. Required for OA visas in home countries.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He's not enquiring about Health Insurance, but a Medical certificate that a couple of Immigration offices request as part of a retirement extension application.

@delgarcon

Which office do you use?

Edited by Tanoshi

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not required for retirement extensions. Required for OA visas in home countries.

That's generally correct, though if I recall, there are a few Immigration offices that require a medical exam locally, even though it's not part of the supposedly official requirements.

For the O-A visa, just for information purposes, the purpose of the medical exam and certificate is to certify that the applicant does not have the following (what steps/procedures the doctor is supposed to do to make the certification are not spelled out):

5. Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)
(Leprosy, Tuberculosis [T.B], Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism, 3nd step of syphilis)

PS - Now that the OP has mentioned Samui, that's one of those oddball IOs I was thinking of... I wanna say, they actually require/insist on the applicant going to some specific hospital/medical facility to get the required certification???

Best to check with the local IO there as to what exactly they're going to demand.... From what I recall, it's all pre-arranged and a nice moneymaker for the local hospital.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Just now, delgarcon said:

Samui

Yes, I believe they are one of the rouge offices that request a medical certificate.

There is a standard medical certificate that can be obtained from Clinics, such as for obtaining Driving Licences, but Samui may insist on a hospital medical certificate.

Why do they get away with different requirements at different offices, as the immigration surely is Thai Government function, not a local requirement.

How does this happen??

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Why do they get away with different requirements at different offices, as the immigration surely is Thai Government function, not a local requirement.

How does this happen??

That's what everyone who reads this forum would like to know!

In the meantime the only explanation is TiT.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

How does this happen??

Every Province has it's own local Administration.

The laws lay the basics, but not the required documentary proof, which is set by the local office.

This is why there are so many variations of requirements for Driving Licences, Tabien Baans etc.

Immigration is no exception, apart from the basic document requirements, they can request documents in excess of the basic requirements.

• Like 1

Kanchanaburi immigration last week gave me a typed list of what is required for the retirement extension, this year it actually had medical certificate typed on it, last year it was only verbal. No note of what is required for the medical certificate.

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

There is a standard medical certificate that can be obtained from Clinics, such as for obtaining Driving Licences, but Samui may insist on a hospital medical certificate.

That is correct, and whichever hospital you go to, and it MUST be a hospital, no clinics anymore, they will have their own unique form. They weren't interested in the one I had downloaded. Just went through this in the past 2 weeks. No big deal.

8 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

Your reply suggested otherwise!

No it didn't.

The topic was about a medical exam and the need for a form.

I answered they are not required in Thailand for EXTENSIONS. 

Nowhere did the OP say the word INSURANCE.

Nowhere did my reply say the word INSURANCE.

My answer was obviously NOT about insurance.

I know there are some outlier offices requiring a medical exam form but over 9 times out of 10 people asking about the need for a medical form in Thailand aren't using such an office.  I made the fair assumption that the OP was not using one of those RARE offices.

If he was, he should have SPECIFIED that he knew it was required at his office. 

Edited by Jingthing

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No it didn't.

The topic was about a medical exam and the need for a form.

I answered they are not required in Thailand for EXTENSIONS. 

Nowhere did the OP say the word INSURANCE.

Nowhere did my reply say the word INSURANCE.

My answer was obviously NOT about insurance.

I know there are some outlier offices requiring a medical exam form but over 9 times out of 10 people asking about the need for a medical form in Thailand aren't using such an office.  I made the fair assumption that the OP was not using one of those RARE offices.

If he was, he should have SPECIFIED that he knew it was required at his office. 

I didn't ask if I needed a form, I asked what it should include. I think most people understood that. Anyway, Jingthing I think I have the answer now. It seems that different hospitals have different forms and the important thing is that it states what you don't have. I'm going to apply on Tuesday and I will let everyone know how I got on.

6 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

I didn't ask if I needed a form, I asked what it should include. I think most people understood that. Anyway, Jingthing I think I have the answer now. It seems that different hospitals have different forms and the important thing is that it states what you don't have. I'm going to apply on Tuesday and I will let everyone know how I got on.

Form, schform. I obviously was not talking about INSURANCE. That's something that was in other people's brain filters. Nothing to do with your question or my answer.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

The main checks are for Elephantiasis Leprosy, and Tuberculosis.

Although almost eradicated throughout Europe, they are still a cause for concern in Asian Countries.

I posted about the Samui requirements some time ago. My embassy contacted Samui immigration asking why those renewing retirement visas  were having to take blood tests and x rays at the government hospital .Immigration  denied that they were asking for blood tests and X rays to renew retirement visas .Following the conversation with the embassy immigration accepted simple certificates of health from the other local hospitals. No blood test or X ray needed. These certificates cost around one third of the price of the government hospital certificates. If asked where you should take the tests immigration continued to refer you to the government hospital where the various tests continued as before . My Bandon hospital certificate was accepted without comment.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Form, schform. I obviously was not talking about INSURANCE. That's something that was in other people's brain filters. Nothing to do with your question or my answer.

Op enquired 'medical certificate for retirement extension'. You answered " Not required for retirement extensions. Required for OA visas in home countries. " Since the OP requires it for a retirement extension your answer was confusing at best.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Op enquired 'medical certificate for retirement extension'. You answered " Not required for retirement extensions. Required for OA visas in home countries. " Since the OP requires it for a retirement extension your answer was confusing at best.

Excuse me!?!

If you go for an O-A visa in your home country you will need to go to a doctor and have the medical form filled out. 

Certificate was what the O.P. used. I implied he was talking about that medical documentation requirement that has nothing to do with insurance. 
The O.P. didn't mention insurance. I didn't mention insurance because the question had nothing to do with insurance and neither did my answer. Insurance may be on many people's minds now but I answered the question in the OP having nothing to do with insurance.

Again, the medical form IS required for O-A visas in Thailand.

That is a completely different thing than insurance which BTW isn't yet required for O-A visas or extensions but may be later.

In general overwhelmingly the doctor filled form or whatever you want to call it is not required for extensions. I should have mentioned there are exceptions but this accusation that I was talking about insurance has nothing to do with me.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Excuse me!?!

If you go for an O-A visa in your home country your will need to go to a doctor and have thei medical form filled out. 

Certificate was what the O.P. used. I implied he was talking about that medical documentation requirement that has nothing to do with insurance. 
The O.P. didn't mention insurance. I didn't mention insurance because the question had nothing to do with insurance and neither did my answer. Insurance may be on many people's minds now but I answered the question in the OP.

Again, the medical form IS required for O-A visas in Thailand.

In general it is not required for extensions. I should have mentioned there are exceptions but this accusation that I was talking about insurance has nothing to do with me.

See my quote from you. I did not mention insurance. Your first answer to the OP was simply confusing: " Op enquired 'medical certificate for retirement extension'. You answered " Not required for retirement extensions. Required for OA visas in home countries. " Since the OP requires it for a retirement extension your answer was confusing at best. "

Edited by stevenl

Just now, stevenl said:

See my quote from you. I did not mention insurance. Your first answer to the OP was simply confusing: " Op enquired 'medical certificate for retirement extension'. You answered " Not required for retirement extensions. Required for OA visas in home countries. " Since the OP requires it for a retirement extension your answer was confusing at best. "

It was entirely accurate in the vast majority of cases.

This is a question that has probably been asked hundreds of time here.

People read the embassy websites for O-A visas seeing the requirement to visit a doctor and submit a medical form for their O-A application in the home country.

Then they incorrectly assume that same type of thing is required for applications for retirement EXTENSIONS in Thailand.

But the national rule is that it is not.

Again there are some offices saying otherwise. Sorry I didn't mention it but overall my answer was correct for the vast majority of people and I can't help it if people have insurance stuck in their brains. If I was meant to talk about insurance, I would have said insurance. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

The main checks are for Elephantiasis Leprosy, and Tuberculosis.

Although almost eradicated throughout Europe, they are still a cause for concern in Asian Countries.

3rd (tertiary)Stage Syphilis was included on my medical for my visa

I've done this several times and only ever had my blood pressure checked and a cursory listen to my chest with a stethoscope. They do ask me how I feel, if I have any problems, but there is no real checking, either in a clinic or in the hospital.

Since I started this thread, from what I've learned with the help of the replies, I've realised that I've been misinformed (I'll be polite) by the Gov hospital in KP who told me 3 months ago, that I would need an x-ray and blood test to complete the certificate and the cost would be 2890bht. My application was refused by Samui immigration as I couldn't show them 12 months of pension going into a Thai bank even though I applied 2 or 3 days before the new regulations came into force on the 1st March. Unlike the comments made by certain officials that immigration offices would be sympathetic towards applicants falling foul of the regs through no fault of their own,  the scumbags in the Samui office don't have a sympathetic bone in their bodies and couldn't even wait for the 1st March to start shafting us.

Anyway I went to the 1st Western Hospital today and they assured me that the immigration office now accepts their certificate. They charged me a fraction of the price that I paid at the gov hospital and I didn't have to sit around all day.

I'm just adding a note so as not to confuse, I've now opted for the 800000thb in the bank and deposited it 2 months ago. Whatever can go wrong this time?

Edited by delgarcon
added text

19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

How does this happen??

Why do they.......(whatever)? Is the most pointless question in Thailand. If you know they do.......(whatever) you are ahead of the game. If you actually knew why, it would not make any difference anyway.

11 hours ago, delgarcon said:

I'm just adding a note so as not to confuse, I've now opted for the 800000thb in the bank and deposited it 2 months ago. Whatever can go wrong this time?

Being the sadists that Samui clearly are, I would definitely not rule out the possibility of them gleefully informing you with beaming smiles on their faces that you should have made the deposit 3 months ago, as under the previous rules!

By the way, Samui aren't the only office who are proving intransigently bloody-minded over 12 x 65k+ monthly transfers in the first year. So are Rayong (who are mine).