Every foreign tourist to Thailand set to be charged 100 baht insurance fee

webfact

So medical insurance for tourists is only 100 THB? Wow, that is a good value. What could go wrong? 

Actually not insurance, but making everyone pay to cover for the ( alleged ) multitudes of foreigners getting treated at hospitals and doing a runner ( or dying ) !!

Actually quite an astute move by them, by making it a small amount ( $3 ) it’s not gonna put off the tourists and then they can increase it annually without any further outcry !!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

There still is as to the best of my knowledge - I was told it is now incorporated into the airport fees that make up part of your airfare.

My apologies UKRULES - I didn't see your post until after I'd posted mine.

one had to pay BEFORE leaving and get  a ticket...now it is incorporated in flight tickets.....

20 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Didn't there used to be a departure tax? I remember going to a machine and paying 500 bt for a ticket that had to be shown,,,at check in or passport control...don't remember which.

Nowadays all built into the total money you pay when you buy the actual ticket. 

The BEGINNING........and very, very, very few will leave because of 100 baht.

What's NEXT?     1.  Property Tax, or lose your house. 

2.  Income tax, and retirees will be taxed (double or triple-taxed, nobody cares).  you bring money in, you get taxed.

3. Alimony to a farang level.    lose 50% everything and pay for x amount of years

4.  Child support for 18 years

5.  Tax to pay for schools, etc.....

It's OK, I found like 200 baht on the streets this year.  Plus, I got some free food to the amount of maybe 3000 baht from employer last year at parties.   Plus I got some good deals on used clothes, they don't know they good brands!!!  saved 101 baht.  

i'm good!!!!  lol

-----> "This would be used for the Thai authorities to insure all tourists." <-----

Do you really think the 3.5 billion baht they collect annually (35 million tourists x 100) will go to tourist's healthcare insurance?

Will tourists be given a copy of the insurance policy after they pay the 100 baht on arrival? Am I to believe tourists will simply walk into the hospital, show the staff a valid entry stamp and get the healthcare they need, whether it's a jellyfish sting or major injuries from a motorbike accident?..what about pre-existing conditions? Or what if someone discovers they have a catastrophic illness such as cancer while on holiday? 

Thailand will become the king of medical tourism. The uninsured around the world are making travel plans to Suvarnabhumi Airport right now.  I hope they keep adding runways.

-----> "This would be used for the Thai authorities to insure all tourists."    Do you really think the 3.5 billion baht they collect annually (35 million tourists x 100) will go to tourist's healthcare insurance?
   Will tourists be given a copy of the insurance policy after they pay the 100 baht on arrival? Am I to believe tourists will simply walk into the hospital, show the staff a valid entry stamp and get the healthcare they need, whether it's a jellyfish sting or major injuries from a motorbike accident?..what about pre-existing conditions? Or what if someone discovers they have a catastrophic illness such as cancer while on holiday? 

Thailand will become the king of medical tourism. The uninsured around the world are making travel plans to Suvarnabhumi Airport right now.  I hope they keep adding runways.

When you buy a girl a LD, does it matter if it water or alcohol? No! You are not buying her alcohol. It is for the cost of her time.

Does it really matter what they use it for? No! It is the cost of visiting Thailand. If you don’t like it, stay the fark home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Didn't there used to be a departure tax? I remember going to a machine and paying 500 bt for a ticket that had to be shown,,,at check in or passport control...don't remember which.

Correct, then they put the departure tax onto the cost of the air fare

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Let's see... 300 million a year in unpaid hospital bills... (maybe!)

vs potentially 3.8 billion in revenues from the proposed tourist tax

And what exactly kind of coverage are these Thailand travelers going to get for their 100 baht???

BTW, it doesn't seem to specify any particular kind of arrival/visa class... So presumably, either on entry or exit, they're planning to charge any and all foreigners, including long-term expats here who may already have insurance.... 

I didn't see any mention of any exemption for O-A visa holders who likely will be subject to the new and much more expensive insurance requirement of their own.  Or any plan to drop the O-A specific proposal in favor on this broader, more reasonably priced alternative.

27 minutes ago, hioctane said:

When you buy a girl a LD, does it matter if it water or alcohol? No! You are not buying her alcohol. It is for the cost of her time.

Does it really matter what they use it for? No! It is the cost of visiting Thailand. If you don’t like it, stay the fark home!

That's a common newbie mistake, buying lady drinks,  that is.

Far better to have your ego stroked, rather than stroking your own ego. :giggle:

Small talk is way overrated in a bars. :jap: 

34 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Yes, to me. I personally would prefer the girl to get a bit tipsy.

This is sensible and common practice and THB100 Baht is remarkably low cost.  The UAE (Dubai, AbuDhabi etc), and Saudi charge a compulsory insurance fee (Saudi is US$75).  It should provide some support for the many cases of people having an accident and needing to crowd fund for their medical bills.  Thai teaching hospitals provide a clinically acceptable level of care.  All for the price of beer. It is good news from my perspective.

This also reminds me of the 1000 Bhat we westerners have to pay to go across the border at Nong Khai because the missus wants to go shopping in Udon, its literally only one day but I still have to pay 1000B, if I have used up my two annual freebies .... don't tell me thats not revenue collecting .... not from me anyway, I don't go across anymore ... 

On 5/24/2019 at 11:54 AM, webfact said:

This, they said, is costing the country 300 million baht a year. 

And how much is that in relation to the total money they make from tourists each year?

How about 100 baht for breathing the Thai air while they are here?

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And how much is that in relation to the total money they make from tourists each year?

How about 100 baht for breathing the Thai air while they are here?

How about getting paid for breathing the air in the north?

How can anyone assume that THB 100 can buy any kind of insurance? Something has clearly been lost in translation. I think it is obvious that this is supposed to be a fund to cover unpaid hospital bills.

How can anyone assume that THB 100 can buy any kind of insurance? Something has clearly been lost in translation. I think it is obvious that this is supposed to be a fund to cover unpaid hospital bills.

It is only a proposal. More studies will probably need to be done to determine actual costs.

This is sensible and common practice and THB100 Baht is remarkably low cost.  The UAE (Dubai, AbuDhabi etc), and Saudi charge a compulsory insurance fee (Saudi is US$75).  It should provide some support for the many cases of people having an accident and needing to crowd fund for their medical bills.  Thai teaching hospitals provide a clinically acceptable level of care.  All for the price of beer. It is good news from my perspective.
Well just wait and see how long it takes for the authorities to increase the fee to 1000 baht.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That is how I see it also .

The drama surrounding the OA/extension saga continues, this is a separate entity.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:07 PM, JohnOFphon said:

Yes, and it did cause a few problems when leaving, machines breaking down and such, I believe it's now put on top of or in with the price when you buy your airplane ticket now.

That is how I see it also .

The drama surrounding the OA/extension saga continues, this is a separate entity.

Or !!

To reclaim the money lost by the pesky foreigners doing a runner at hospitals.
An estimated 82,000 OA visa holders x average mandatory health insurance (50,000 baht ) = 4,100,000,000 baht .

Changed to

An estimated 41 million visitors x 100 baht = 4,100,000,000 baht .

Coincidence ??

All done without a tin foil hat !!

NOTE:
I am joking of course for the benefit of those who don’t understand sarcasm !!

This insurance will only cover short time tourists, staying here less than 1 month. So do not believe you can get free medical care if you live here. 

36 minutes ago, balo said:

This insurance will only cover short time tourists, staying here less than 1 month. So do not believe you can get free medical care if you live here. 

Without knowing anything about this 100baht "insurance", I'd bet it will not cover anything.

Well someone has to pay for the new Eye scan & finger print machines at all the Thai airports so they just do this to get the money back, one question you need to have 20,000 Baht on you at that airport if you fly in so if you use 100 Baht from that then you will not have the 20,000 so will they refuse you entry ? 5555 

Archived