Every foreign tourist to Thailand set to be charged 100 baht insurance fee

webfact

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

Didn't there used to be a departure tax? I remember going to a machine and paying 500 bt for a ticket that had to be shown,,,at check in or passport control...don't remember which.

Departure tax is common - just a grubby way of hitting your wallet as you walk out the door!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

what a good idea.  No, I'm not being sarcastic. 

Thank you kindly.... As usual...the "knockers" were straight out of the blocks.

I wasn't aware that Thailand was also paying for the "repatriation of the dead." (for those that couldn't afford it). I read a lot about the hospital bill that were being left behind.

So I assume the "knockers" would prefer that the people of Thailand, (many of whom have far less than the average Farang) should pick up the tab for those Farangs who are too stingy or mean to happily pay the paltry sum of 100 Bt to cover any medical expences they might incur on their holiday here.

Please oh please...rather that knocking the plan here ..stay in your own country next time and "spunge" off your own people.

i saw a stat somewhere today that predicted 41 million visitors to Thailand next year. Charge each of them B500 to be automatically covered and that's B20,500,000,000 of income generated- it's hardly going to break the bank for someone entering the country.

Now consider how many people actually NEED to utlilise it and it all works out for the best as with most insurances the payouts are minimal compared to the income generated. The excess could be put towards educating people about using motorbikes and other hazards encountered when visiting the country.

This would also negate the requirement for some retirees to have compulsory OPD coverage as the insurance would cover emergency procedures. Personally I firmly believe that 'Expats' as opposed to 'tourists' should have compulsory in-patient coverage.

I have just realised the flaw in this plan- it makes sense. Back to my Drawing Board.

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Also was told last night at the bar,  Immigration offices will soon be charging an  entrance fee at the door. 10 baht per falang.

but free for Thai's. :giggle:

And 100 baht for toilet paper outside toilets. Oh, wait, they already do that.

53 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

If this tax happens I'm going to order salmonella & chips every day, as I know I can afford to be ill.

Free accommodation, free food, and all for 100 Baht.

I can hardly wait.

Don't be surprised if tens of millions of Chinese tourists crash the local hospitals to get their money's worth.

23 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Thank you kindly.... As usual...the "knockers" were straight out of the blocks.

I wasn't aware that Thailand was also paying for the "repatriation of the dead." (for those that couldn't afford it). I read a lot about the hospital bill that were being left behind.

So I assume the "knockers" would prefer that the people of Thailand, (many of whom have far less than the average Farang) should pick up the tab for those Farangs who are too stingy or mean to happily pay the paltry sum of 100 Bt to cover any medical expences they might incur on their holiday here.

Please oh please...rather that knocking the plan here ..stay in your own country next time and "spunge" off your own people.

But 3.8 Billion to cover

300 Million, you do not think that is a bit much?

Does tourist include every body entering the country, visa runners, people from neighbouring states and other regular visitors?

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

If this tax happens I'm going to order salmonella & chips every day, as I know I can afford to be ill.

Free accommodation, free food, and all for 100 Baht.

I can hardly wait.

No mention of any health cover or benefits to anyone, purely a levy to cover this alleged 300 million.

so, one hand a 300 million issue....on other hand a 3.8 billion proposal to solve this?

wouldnt 10 thb per person do then?
or need to collect up for the next submarine or whatever?

The 100฿ should cover all tourists. No need to pay yourself for medical treatment any longer. Then, and only then, 100฿ is justified. Otherwise don’t call it travel insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Didn't there used to be a departure tax? I remember going to a machine and paying 500 bt for a ticket that had to be shown,,,at check in or passport control...don't remember which.

Yes but is is for airport usage admin fees only

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Thank you, always happy the gov listens to me, but somehow they got the number wrong ????

Please keep in mind that the Generals always need the latest toys from the USA and China to play with. Thats where the 95 BHT / person will be going........

1 hour ago, ilms said:

The article says tourists, but I wonder if they mean to extend it to all foreigners entering the country. I imagine that many on this forum already have to pay 1,000B (re-entry permit, single entry) whenever we leave the country and come back. I've never been able to figure out what the re-entry permit was for other than a blatant money grab. So hey, what's another hundred, right?

Me to I wonder, now the officier will have to decide if a retired person  , or a married  person or a business person is a tourist and charge the 100 B. Real difficult task that involve ]manipulating cash !  A real no no here in Thailand. They will need cahiers .

Or they start using Arrival card online like manu]y countries and charge the 100 THB before arrival for tourist only. Other can write the visa number, or re-entry permit number.

I hope Immigration is reading ! Thanks !

36 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

The excess could be put towards educating people about using motorbikes and other hazards encountered when visiting the country.

im sure they want this money to  educating people ????????????????

1 minute ago, cnx355 said:

Me to I wonder, now the officier will have to decide if a retired person  , or a married  person or a business person is a tourist and charge the 100 B.

it is very simple ... they will charge everyone :))

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

This idea has beem mooted before. It should work fine, depending upon how it's collected. I would guess the most logical way would be for an additional 100 baht tax on air tickets into Thailand. and the amount should only be used as a last resort and not replace proper travel insurance. This would of course mean that not only tourists are paying but also Thais travelling overseas and expats but this additional would make up the shortfall from those entering overland woudn't pay.

But who knows? The combined brain power of the Ministry of Tourism will no doubt come up with a much more convoluted system.

How about a donation box at the customs counter where you show your passport?

Yes indeed. After check-in and before passport control. Should maybe just restore that system.

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Yes indeed. After check-in and before passport control. Should maybe just restore that system.

There's still a departure tax but it's included in the ticket price rather than using the antiquated method they used to. Surely there's no chance of this being restored! Is there?

This was the airport tax, now included in the airfare. For most countries this tax has always been included in the ticket. Thailand just retarded in implementing international standards.

2 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Yes there was once a departure tax for airport.

That was airport tax,...it is included in the ticket now ....it seems !

Correct .You still pay it now but it is included in the price of the departure  ticket.

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

100 baht only ?

Not enough for our deep pockets ;

why not 1,000 baht from each tourist when arriving and another 1,000 baht when leaving the kingdom ?

used to be a charge of 700 Bhat to leave the country, not sure why they dropped that. 

6 minutes ago, CLS said:

This was the airport tax, now included in the airfare. For most countries this tax has always been included in the ticket. Thailand just retarded in implementing international standards.

But paying at the airport was a direct payment to the Thai Government.

Archived