Every foreign tourist to Thailand set to be charged 100 baht insurance fee

webfact

If this tax happens I'm going to order salmonella & chips every day, as I know I can afford to be ill.

Free accommodation, free food, and all for 100 Baht.

I can hardly wait.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, overherebc said:

I thought that was now added as a some figure to the cost of flying so probably still there, maybe less than 500 per pax now.

Now everyone has forgotten about it it's easier just to start another collection system.

I could be wrong though.

Now 700 Baht (was 500 Baht cash), it's been included in the ticket price since about 2006.

47 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Didn't there used to be a departure tax? I remember going to a machine and paying 500 bt for a ticket that had to be shown,,,at check in or passport control...don't remember which.

There was, then it was added to your airline ticket

It's a start, but how many times can they use the 300million? VOA? or O-A old timers for blaming the foreigners??? I would surely be ok with a 5-10,000 baht fee for long timers insurance when renewing. Everything so easily solved then and for a nominal cost. 

Not a bad idea, but unsure as to how they will implement something like this. I also hope this system won't make people with long term visas have to pay if they already have their own insurance here through work etc. 

How many people would actually notice an additional 100baht ($3) added to an airline ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
I doubt that will cover the current unpaid bills of a small minority of visitors who do not or can not pay their hospital bills, introduce this then the fee will have to be a lot more than 100B, to be fair even 1,000B would be cheap compared to what those of us who bother with travel insurance pay. 

A yearly worlwide travel insurance with 2 million baht coverage costs less than 6.000฿/y, 20฿ daily. Assuming the Thai tourist insurance covers a lot less, 100฿ is sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

what a good idea.  No, I'm not being sarcastic. 

100 baht only ?

Not enough for our deep pockets ;

why not 1,000 baht from each tourist when arriving and another 1,000 baht when leaving the kingdom ?

Below is a breakdown of a fare for a flight from London to Bangkok last

September. The fare was £240, total ticket cost £489, mostly UK/Thai taxes

PAYMENT DETAILS

FARE DETAILS

Fare Calculation: LON BR BKK155.20BR LON155.20NUC310.40END ROE0.773147

Fare:

GBP 240.00

Form of payment:
CASH

Tour Code

EN0214

Endorsements: /C1 NONEND/RFND FEE GBP100. P/U NOT RFND.CHGE GBP25 FOR EVERY CHNG. COLL ANY ADDTL T/F/C. I/B SURCHRG MAY APPLY.

Fare equivalent:

THB 10310

Taxes:

THB 1080XP

GBP PD 0.80E7

GBP PD 0.80E7

GBP PD 78.00GB

GBP PD 0.40G8

GBP PD 0.40G8

GBP PD 16.50TS

GBP PD 44.91UB

Carrier Imposed Fees:

GBP PD 100.00YQ

Total Amount:

THB 1080A

_

Grand Total:

THB 11390

so, one hand a 300 million issue....on other hand a 3.8 billion proposal to solve this?

wouldnt 10 thb per person do then?

or need to collect up for the next submarine or whatever?

Will this include the Chinese? - Or any of those
"other countries" that get their visa fees waived?

I really think that these mathematically-challenged people put shit like this out then read Thai Visa screaming and shouting to see how much they'll end up with!

100 baht "insurance premium" will entitle you to exactly 8 paracetamol tablets at designated hospitals only. But because Thailand truly loves all her foreign quality tourists, the country will perhaps throw in a few broad spectrum antibiotics for free out of sheer goodwill.

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

Is someone from the Ministry of Tourism & Sports reading Thai Visa in order to pick up a few tips.

Probably. All social media is monitored. Given the amount of [all illegal} defamatory comments posted on these forums about Immigration, government policies or Thais in general, I conclude that it suits the powers that be to allow it to continue for information purposes.

Archived