Every foreign tourist to Thailand set to be charged 100 baht insurance fee

webfact

1 hour ago, potless said:

I have to laugh when I read that people are squawking about maybe paying 100 baht when entering or leaving.. Tighter than a submarine door.

I am not moaning about the cost. It probably could be higher.

My only issue is that through my job I have full AXA family health insurance and a Non - B with a multiple re - entry permit, so I am hoping they are going to implement a way that expats living here shouldn't have to pay it every time they come in / out if they don't need to. It should only be for real 'tourists'. 

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet the Chinese dont pay departure tax.

Unless of course it's added into the cost of their ticket.

Is that how it works these days? You used to have to feed a machine.......

This could be a bit tricky ... will they charge by the week, month 3 months or give you the option of 1 year, what about guys and families like mine and cross the border at Nong Khai all the time shopping and medical treatment ... this fee must be able to cover you for 'X' period of time .... old Swampy takes a while as it is to get through Immigration, let alone yet another counter or payment at the Immigration counter ... and how many people carry Baht with them at immigration ... will be fun collecting different currencies .... overall a good idea though I think !

It says for every trip. I am assuming it is valid for the time you are in Thailand.

Where it gets dicey is what if you overstay your visa. Those are likely the ones that usually skip out on their hospital bills or cannot afford to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, British Bulldog said:

This could be a bit tricky ... will they charge by the week, month 3 months or give you the option of 1 year, what about guys and families like mine and cross the border at Nong Khai all the time shopping and medical treatment ... this fee must be able to cover you for 'X' period of time .... old Swampy takes a while as it is to get through Immigration, let alone yet another counter or payment at the Immigration counter ... and how many people carry Baht with them at immigration ... will be fun collecting different currencies .... overall a good idea though I think !

They won't charge at land crossings because of trade with bordering countries that has people from those border countries going in and out numerous times a day. Rong Klua market is an example. 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

what a good idea.  No, I'm not being sarcastic. 

But is not a good idea. Every body that leaves Thailand at the Airport is charged 700Baht departure fee which will cover the mentioned 300mlBaht it costing the Government  How many tourists depart Internationally from the A/Port.

3 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

So they are looking to make a profit out of this.

Maybe, maybe not - you are comparing apples and oranges.  If the fee of 100 baht provides medical and insurance for ALL travellers (not just delinquent) the total cost to the government will be considerably higher than is reported for delinquent only.

Actually, they should probably just make it 100 baht per month (like 30 baht per month) [or the total unsubsidized rate since I think 30 baht insurance is not fully covered) and provide the equivalent medical insurance that is provided to Thais to any foreigner who is here... and make it mandatory.  If you want to add additional insurance for private hospitals -- you would still be free to buy that on top of the base.   Basically providing basic insurance to all foreigners residing here (no life insurance, no repatriation of body - the dead delinquents can always be sold for medical school or other purposes; or stripped of flesh and sold as skeleton sets ).

12 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

I am not moaning about the cost. It probably could be higher.

I wasnt singling you out . I just feel that 100 baht is of little consequence if it solves the perceived problem. 

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Not a bad idea, but unsure as to how they will implement something like this. I also hope this system won't make people with long term visas have to pay if they already have their own insurance here through work etc. 

If you can't afford 100baht then go home

Honestly some people really are unbelievable 

3 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Didn't there used to be a departure tax? I remember going to a machine and paying 500 bt for a ticket that had to be shown,,,at check in or passport control...don't remember which.

There still is. Now it is a part of the the airline ticket price.

So a proposal for a tourist health insurance plan at 100 Bht per tourist.. Cheap.. But what is the admin percentage cost in collecting this fee, counting it, banking it and distribution to various hospitals or a central tourist health fund? One would imagine about 90% or 90 Bht in admin costs.. Ridiculous IMHO.. 

I would imagine 300- 500 Bht would make more sense for it to be viable.. Payable on departure otherwise every tourist arrival would be forced to bring Thai Bht into the country and Immig arrival halls would be a nightmare for those without any Bht.. in their pockets. 

And those on a 2 week holiday would be charged the same as someone on a METV, or would they have to pay this each and every time they leave the country and re-enter? 

8 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Cheaper if you stay single. ????

I'm single and enjoying it .Never been to Vietnam. Don't go to counties where a visa is required to go and spend money. Penang no problem. Can make it your 2nd home. No money is required  to be deposited in the Bank if you have assets to prove your worthy .

I would think payment on entry would be better.

If the government opted to make it payment on departure, I can see the conundrum already:

Foreign tourist taken ill and admitted to hospital here. Spends more than a month in an expensive hospital - in ICU, expensive drug charges, etc., and running up a big bill.

The hospital would be desperate to keep him alive so he could pay his 100 Baht departure tax, in order for the hospital to recover from the government their two million Baht bill they charged to the tourist.

9 minutes ago, potless said:

I wasnt singling you out . I just feel that 100 baht is of little consequence if it solves the perceived problem. 

Where is the problem. It's  just a case of taking more money from tourist. 

3 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Will those who visit and have health and accident insurance also be charged?
I think they should first stop the rip off prices of private hospitals here and the apparently 300 million they are “loosing” will suddenly only be 50 million!
These rip off hospitals are also driving up insurance premiums for everybody with their overcharging. We just found out in a Facebook group that 2 different people were charged different amounts by the same hospital for the same simple procedure - the one paid cash without insurance and the other had insurance - he was charged 3 times the amount! Got my prescription medication from the same hospital 8000 baht - when my supply was used up I took the hospital prescription and went to Pharma choice where I paid 2400 Baht for the same medication they charged me 8000 for at the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

alway wondered why they asked at the hospital if i had insurance?

No, il think that what they mean is an extra tax to pay the debt left by foreigners who are not insured. Not a travel insurance !!! This seems  logical and  Correct. To be  used to pay unpaid bills . A good idea, put the  100 Baht as an extra tax on every flight ticket and name it something different , debt tax for example ( only an example) not to confuse travellers. Honestly, what is a 100 B when buying a flight ticket costing 1000b ? Personally, I think it’s a good idea. It’s NOT a travel insurance, and if I had any say in it, I would make compulsory travel insurance for all tourists. No sensible person  Travels without one.

11 minutes ago, owenm said:

So a proposal for a tourist health insurance plan at 100 Bht per tourist.. Cheap.. But what is the admin percentage cost in collecting this fee, counting it, banking it and distribution to various hospitals or a central tourist health fund? One would imagine about 90% or 90 Bht in admin costs

Thats a good point. The scheme would only work properly though if the money was ring fenced and wouldnt disappear in to the main government coffers. It could then be reviewed annually.  

Archived