Every foreign tourist to Thailand set to be charged 100 baht insurance fee

webfact

36 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

The excess could be put towards educating people about using motorbikes and other hazards encountered when visiting the country.

im sure they want this money to  educating people 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cnx355 said:

Me to I wonder, now the officier will have to decide if a retired person  , or a married  person or a business person is a tourist and charge the 100 B.

it is very simple ... they will charge everyone :))

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

This idea has beem mooted before. It should work fine, depending upon how it's collected. I would guess the most logical way would be for an additional 100 baht tax on air tickets into Thailand. and the amount should only be used as a last resort and not replace proper travel insurance. This would of course mean that not only tourists are paying but also Thais travelling overseas and expats but this additional would make up the shortfall from those entering overland woudn't pay.

But who knows? The combined brain power of the Ministry of Tourism will no doubt come up with a much more convoluted system.

How about a donation box at the customs counter where you show your passport?

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

Didn't there used to be a departure tax? I remember going to a machine and paying 500 bt for a ticket that had to be shown,,,at check in or passport control...don't remember which.

Yes indeed. After check-in and before passport control. Should maybe just restore that system.

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Yes indeed. After check-in and before passport control. Should maybe just restore that system.

There's still a departure tax but it's included in the ticket price rather than using the antiquated method they used to. Surely there's no chance of this being restored! Is there?

This was the airport tax, now included in the airfare. For most countries this tax has always been included in the ticket. Thailand just retarded in implementing international standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
2 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Didn't there used to be a departure tax? I remember going to a machine and paying 500 bt for a ticket that had to be shown,,,at check in or passport control...don't remember which.

Yes there was once a departure tax for airport.

That was airport tax,...it is included in the ticket now ....it seems !

Correct .You still pay it now but it is included in the price of the departure  ticket.

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

100 baht only ?

Not enough for our deep pockets ;

why not 1,000 baht from each tourist when arriving and another 1,000 baht when leaving the kingdom ?

used to be a charge of 700 Bhat to leave the country, not sure why they dropped that. 

6 minutes ago, CLS said:

This was the airport tax, now included in the airfare. For most countries this tax has always been included in the ticket. Thailand just retarded in implementing international standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

But paying at the airport was a direct payment to the Thai Government.

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

used to be a charge of 700 Bhat to leave the country, not sure why they dropped that. 

They haven't dropped it. Its included in your flight ticket

Archived