"DTAC" problems.

I recently found that my wife was on a very old and expensive datac contract that had no data. So she changed to a cheaper contract that included 500mb of data and some free calls all for 250 baht for 30 days rolling contract.

I decided this was a good deal as I hardly use any data, so I went down to their office at central beach Pattaya to change my pay as you go to a contract as exactly the same as my wife's.

First of all I asked can I change my number. It seems I could but it would cost me over a 1000 baht. So I kept the same number and asked for the same contract as my wife. The sour faced non smiling non English speaking Thai salesmen told me that was a special price for my wife as she had been a long term customer. He tried to push me to by contracts with 6 gb of data, which were 450 baht, after ignoring me and just trying to force my wife that this was a promotion and a good deal.

Eventually I had no choice I had to keep my number and settle for 1.5gb and 100 mins free for 315 baht. I went home and tested the speed and I expected at least 4mb speed but It was set at 300kb just laughable really. So I asked my wife to complain to the head office. Strangely enough the woman at the customer service department was able to offer me the same contract as my wife at 250 baht and I could keep or change my number at no extra cost. So be careful about smartphone contracts they seem to make it up as they go along are or getting some kind of commission to push certain contracts. 

When it comes to mobile phone services here, I generally try to make all my purchasing action via the websites of the various carriers, which generally allow you to change / upgrade / downgrade / cancel packages via their websites or via dialing codes that can be found on their websites.

It's generally easier dealing with websites here than the customer service staff, IMHO.  Though I will sometimes call the main EN speaking customer service centers if I have some question I can't figure out from online. But I rarely/never try to deal with the carriers' local sales offices.

Archived