I want to live in Thailand but

A2K63

Hi my first post here. I want to come and live in Thailand but I don't have a job lined up. I have enough savings to last for a long time but I will need to work both for personal satisfaction and financial reasons. I'm realistic though and enough income just live comfortably will be enough. So my question is can/should I just move to Bangkok and settle in then try and find work?

I've been working in large corporate IT Depts in Australia for 25 years but I understand it will be near to impossible to find work in my field. Is that true? Is there a better chance if I'm actually ''on the ground"?

Another option is to buy or start a small business but I also understand that there are many pitfalls and plenty of expats fail at this. Any thoughts on that?

Another option would be to earn money online. From my research though most of that style of work doesn't interest me plus the hourly rate is often very low. Any thoughts on that?

Any other options to earn as an expat while living in Thailand?

So any input would be greatly appreciated. Any examples of expats working successfully in Thailand?

I am an IT engineer fresh out of a master from europe and I found a software engineering job in Bangkok after a month of looking and applying to 5~10 ads a day. With your background (supposing you are some kind of an expert/engineer) it should not take too long and you could expect more than 100,000baht/month (much more depending on the position and the company).

Starting a company takes 2,000,000 baht and you can't own it at more than 49% unless you jump through some hoops and get BOI approved.

Earning money online doesn't give you a business visa or work permit. If you are confident in your consulting/independent skills you could also try looking into IGLU.

4 minutes ago, yokat said:

I am an IT engineer fresh out of a master from europe and I found a software engineering job in Bangkok after a month of looking and applying to 5~10 ads a day. With your background (supposing you are some kind of an expert/engineer) it should not take too long and you could expect more than 100,000baht/month (much more depending on the position and the company).

Starting a company takes 2,000,000 baht and you can't own it at more than 49% unless you jump through some hoops and get BOI approved.

Earning money online doesn't give you a business visa or work permit. If you are confident in your consulting/independent skills you could also try looking into IGLU.

Thanks that gives me some hope. My preference would be to continue to work in IT. Can I ask where you're finding the job ads? And are you required to speak Thai?

1 hour ago, A2K63 said:

Any other options to earn as an expat while living in Thailand?

There is a list that tells you what sort of jobs you can do in Thailand. I assume you can find it on line. You also need to research getting a work permit and the correct visa.

How long have you stayed in Thailand before? It can take years ( if ever ) to understand how Thailand works.

1 hour ago, A2K63 said:

Another option is to buy or start a small business but I also understand that there are many pitfalls and plenty of expats fail at this.

I'd say most fail, though don't ask me for figures. To succeed, one needs to be lucky enough to know/ marry the right people.

11 minutes ago, A2K63 said:

are you required to speak Thai?

Not unless you want to become more than a visitor, BUT, if you can't speak fluent Thai and you want to work in Thailand, you'd have to be incredibly lucky to succeed, IMO.

1 hour ago, A2K63 said:

I've been working in large corporate IT Depts in Australia for 25 years

I'm assuming that makes you in the mid 40s, so a while before you can live in LOS without working, or getting married.

Many, like me visit every year while working and saving, so we can live in LOS after 55 without the hassle of work permits, tax etc. It's possible to live very cheaply unless one wants to live a western lifestyle or gets married. You should be easily able to save enough in 10 years to do so.

1 hour ago, A2K63 said:

So any input would be greatly appreciated. Any examples of expats working successfully in Thailand?

Many expats live and work in LOS, some more successfully than others. This forum is as good a place to contact them as any. Don't forget that there are other subforums on TVF to peruse.

I strongly suggest the marriage and divorce sub forum, emphasis on divorce to give you an idea of what awaits if you meet the "girl of your dreams". "Tis a well trodden path for farangs, leading to bankruptcy, horror, and in some cases death, for many. Of course there are those that that are lucky enough to catch a uni educated, DDG Chinese Thai with mega rich parents that support the farang, or so they claim on the forum. They only cost the farang a million or so baht to buy them from the parents.

Are you sure you want to live in Bangkok? To some it's a wonderful place to live in, but to others of us, it's a hell hole. However, the girls in Bangkok are certainly in the better class of totty, if that's what floats your boat.

Watch out for those girls in Nana Plaza ( some of them ain't girls, if you know what I mean ) and even the real ones will strip your wallet before you even realise what happened.

Anyway, good luck. Don't forget to get started on the Thai language lessons.

14 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Big difference between software engineer and IT guy.

A good IT guy here prob gets 25,000 BHAT a month.......if that.

exactly...and an engineer doesnt like to be called an IT Guy.  Met an Austrian guy with loads of telecom experience...40k per month here, and on call 24/7.  Zero money in hardware, here, even App development is 200 thb per hour..they like them young and fresh out of school.

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's all food for thought. To answer some of your questions:

I've holidayed in Thailand maybe half a dozen times for a total of maybe 2 months.

Re speaking Thai. Since I won't be heading over for a month or two I may as well start learning now at home. Maybe I'll find a Thai person who lives nearby and line up regular lessons.

I'm 56 years old. So I understand that gives me an extra option re Visa. In the short term I'd probably arrive on a 30 non visa then renew once or twice for a total of 90 days. Then assuming I really want to stay and make a life I'll apply for the ''oldies'' visa.

Re romance. Yeah I've heard and read plenty of horror stories. In an ideal world I'd meet a Thai woman who works in a corporate job or similar. Will be staying away from bar girls.

I plan on starting in Bangkok but it's not somewhere I wanna live long term. Ultimately I'd like to live in Hua Hin or similar. On the beach, clean, i.e. not Pattaya, but still closeish to Bangkok airports.

I wouldn't call myself an IT guy. My most recent contract I was a service manager. Working for Rio Tinto and looking after a lot of IBM and Accenture staff working out of India, Philippines and Poland. It was very well paid so not a junior position. I don't have any interest in help desk or desktop support or shift work. I accept it's pretty unlikely I'll find work in my chosen career but at least once I'm living in Bangkok I can approach any multinationals with offices there and see what if anything is available or possible.

In the meantime I'll keep researching opportunities to earn money online.

6 minutes ago, A2K63 said:

Re romance. Yeah I've heard and read plenty of horror stories. In an ideal world I'd meet a Thai woman who works in a corporate job or similar. Will be staying away from bar girls.

Your "Ideal world" is marrying a Thai who has a corporate job?  You needed to tell us you will stay away from bar girls?  haha.  Hi mom, I'm moving to NYC but will stay away from crack, hookers, cocaine, illegal prostitution, and injecting heroine in my butt.   hahahhahah.   ah, ok dear.  

no need to explain, but please keep posting five-years from now, i can't wait to see what happens.

good luck, i anticipate comedy.  

19 hours ago, yokat said:

It doesn't take 2M Baht to set up a company. It is 2M Baht share capital. 

2 minutes ago, guest879 said:

after 10 years living in Thailand I decided it is a better country for holidays. each to their own of course. owning a business is very very difficult and I did it for 9 years. enough about that already.

Have you chosen another country to live in and if so why? Genuine question.

FYI I'm not 100% settled on Thailand. Another option is the Philippines. Pros and Cons to both I think but what's swaying me towards Thailand is culture, food, religion. On the other hand in the Philippines language is less of an issue and I think the visa situation is easier. 

1 hour ago, Scutty said:

How is your grammer ? You can get a job teaching English if you pass a tefl course . Pays not bad considering the cost of living .

Yes my grammar is pretty good I think. And yeah that's an option. I understand the pay isn't great but I don't need to earn a lot, just enough to live comfortably considering I have a lot of savings.

28 minutes ago, A2K63 said:

So I've been reading some of the threads in the Marriage and divorce sub forum. I'm having second thoughts now lol

I'd have thought the solution to that was simple.....never get married, then you don't need to bother about that particular sub-forum! Duh! :whistling:

Personally, I think that any man of your age ( or over 40 ) who comes to Thailand mainly for the women/ girls, is headed for disaster if he has high expectations of a serious relationship. It rarely works out. I know a man of your age who has a Thai wife of 48. That seems to be a happy mariage . Otherwise, it’s difficult, unless you are rich and willing to * help* the girl and her family. Once you show you have money you’re done for. As for work, why not try your luck, tho I’m sure you’d earn a lot more in your own country. I wouldn’t give up a good job at your age , just save and keep it for when you are retired , and then choose. 

9 minutes ago, geisha said:

Personally, I think that any man of your age ( or over 40 ) who comes to Thailand mainly for the women/ girls, is headed for disaster if he has high expectations of a serious relationship. It rarely works out. I know a man of your age who has a Thai wife of 48. That seems to be a happy mariage . Otherwise, it’s difficult, unless you are rich and willing to * help* the girl and her family. Once you show you have money you’re done for. As for work, why not try your luck, tho I’m sure you’d earn a lot more in your own country. I wouldn’t give up a good job at your age , just save and keep it for when you are retired , and then choose. 

But if you're coming here for frequent sex with young, slim, attractive women it's bloody amazing.

As is the same game in Cambodia, Philippines and Vietnam.

6 hours ago, A2K63 said:

I plan on starting in Bangkok but it's not somewhere I wanna live long term. Ultimately I'd like to live in Hua Hin or similar. On the beach, clean, i.e. not Pattaya, but still closeish to Bangkok airports.

Saying you have limited money then thinking of moving to the the most expensive town in SEA doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'd start in Phnom Penh, easier VISA ($300/year at your age with no financials), cheaper party life and women.

Getting a woman to live with you in Bangkok, $300 and up, in Phnom Penh $150 will do the job.

No need to learn Thai or Khmer, all the women available to you will speak English.

At 56, I wouldn't even look at a woman over 33 years old.

The first thing you need to do is to check out other places to live.  This is not a foreigner-friendly place.  There are other places in this world that are foreigner-friendly and who will welcome you.  This is not one of those places.  

2 hours ago, A2K63 said:

So I've been reading some of the threads in the Marriage and divorce sub forum. I'm having second thoughts now lol

Failure rate within five years of farang Thai marriage doesn't seem to be much different than the US.  About half. 

"I want to come and live in Thailand but I don't have a job" - I stopped reading right there. Don't worry, you'll fit in perfectly well with all the self-described "English teachers" who don't have a job either. Join them to drink a bottle of Siam Sato on the steps of 7-11 while discussing plans of how to scam real ex-pats out of their money with "amazing investment schemes".

7 hours ago, A2K63 said:

Re speaking Thai. Since I won't be heading over for a month or two I may as well start learning now at home. Maybe I'll find a Thai person who lives nearby and line up regular lessons.

Don't need a real Thai to learn. I learned basic Thai words from a cassette tape- that's how long ago it was.

Think there are lessons on line now.

Only need a real Thai to learn conversational Thai. 

It's very difficult for older people as the tones can be inaudible for older ears. Good luck.

7 hours ago, A2K63 said:

In an ideal world I'd meet a Thai woman who works in a corporate job or similar. Will be staying away from bar girls.

Plenty of horror stories about Thai women that never worked in a bar in their lives. In the dark, all cats are black.

8 hours ago, A2K63 said:

Ultimately I'd like to live in Hua Hin or similar. On the beach, clean, i.e. not Pattaya,

LOL. Hua Hin beach is covered in horse poo, and it disappears at high tide.

Trouble with beaches in LOS is that the best ones are too expensive to live on, and the bad ones aren't worth living on.

Some like Phuket, but I wouldn't live there even if someone paid me to. IMO a horrid place.

8 hours ago, A2K63 said:

n the short term I'd probably arrive on a 30 non visa then renew once or twice for a total of 90 days.

That could be a problem renewing for reasons I won't go into now- out of time.

Better to get a tourist visa. 60 days and can extend 30 days without leaving the country for a 90 day stay. I think you can even renew it once in country but you'd need to check on that.

1 hour ago, connda said:

The first thing you need to do is to check out other places to live.  This is not a foreigner-friendly place.  There are other places in this world that are foreigner-friendly and who will welcome you.  This is not one of those places.  

But do they have young women happy to have sex with old men?

2 hours ago, A2K63 said:

Yes my grammar is pretty good I think. And yeah that's an option. I understand the pay isn't great but I don't need to earn a lot, just enough to live comfortably considering I have a lot of savings.

Being over 50 years, and with the IT-career you posted, a teacher job might be a possibility, when also having some level of savings.

A teacher is paid from around 35 k baht a month, or more, depending of school and teaching qualifications. Not a lot, but barely any income tax, and still enough for an Okay plain life, and the savings could add up for more pleasant life-style and fun.

Having a Work Permit you will be eligible to join the Thai "Social Security" – even schools are exempt from mandatory Social Security – and you will be covered by the health care system at government hospitals, which in certain areas can be quite all-right (it is, where I live). The main benefit is, that when your active work life end, you can continue to voluntary pay a relative small monthly fee, and thereby continue the health care, which might eliminate a costly health insurance.

Your other alternative to stay long-term in Thailand when over 50-years old is a so-called "retirement visa", which is a non-immigrant "O" visa, on which stays can be extended for 1 year at time on basis of retirement. That will (in your case) require a cash bank deposit of 800 k baht, which could be a fixed account for best interest. There are several threads in the various forums here with more detailed information.

Some expats do online work for foreign companies under the radar, so additional income from what you call "earn money online" is possible. Also that field has been widely discussed in various forum threads; the main conclusion seem to be "foreign clients" and "under the radar".

As other posters has mentioned, there might be other places on interest to stay than Bangkok, and there are numerous schools outside Bangkok.

Starting a Thai company limited requires two partners, and at least one of them Thai, and that the Thai partner(s) own 51 % of the shares (you mentioned Australia, but if you are US citizen, there would be different possibilities under an amity agreement). You'll need a fully paid shareholder capital of 2 million baht, and 4 Thai employees, to obtain one foreign Work Permit. Some has been successful (I know some); a few extremely successful (I know of a few); but presumable most are just surviving, or ended up closing their company after some time. Think more than twice, before you consider establishing, or buying, a Thai company limited, and risk a couple of million baht, or more...:whistling:

Staying here might be a better way to research, or search, for job or work possibilities. If something comes up, and you have the needed documentation in place, you can always take a trip abroad, and change your visa to a non-immigrant "B" (I'm not sure of one can change to that visa domestic), and extend your stay based on Work Permit.

I settled here at age 56, with a decision of not working in Thailand, so I stay as retired. I still has a small operation running abroad, a company limited that I own in my home country, which don't require much attention from me, and a friend at "home" can take care of the rest. I'm also shareholder in a Thai company limited, which my GF takes care of as managing director (so I got a little bit of experience about a company here). 10-years after I came I have a small government retirement pension as income, otherwise I was, and I am, living of savings. Depending of life-style, you can still live relative cheap in Thailand – relative can be anything from a teacher's salary, plus a little extra, or way sky-rocking up – however, falling in love with one (or several) of the native beauties might be  additional costs.

????

On 5/24/2019 at 2:35 PM, Captain 776 said:

Big difference between software engineer and IT guy.

A good IT guy here prob gets 25,000 BHAT a month.......if that.

I wonder if he's any good at repairing notebooks  ...   because the f*#%ers here aren't much good. :drunk:

Don't be put off too easily. Thaibeachlover gave you a great reply. I enjoyed reading his contribution. Unfortunately the only advice I can add is "Don't buy a business" You will probably regret it if you do but Thailand is still a great country, generally a safe place to live, and will bring you much hapiness if you find the right girl to share it with.

Archived