I want to live in Thailand but

A2K63

2 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Don't be put off too easily. Thaibeachlover gave you a great reply. I enjoyed reading his contribution. Unfortunately the only advice I can add is "Don't buy a business" You will probably regret it if you do but Thailand is still a great country, generally a safe place to live, and will bring you much hapiness if you find the right girl to share it with.

Thaibeachlover is posting from Australia. Maybe the OP should PM him for the lowdown on what can and has gone wrong in Thailand.

5 hours ago, A2K63 said:

Yes my grammar is pretty good I think. And yeah that's an option. I understand the pay isn't great but I don't need to earn a lot, just enough to live comfortably considering I have a lot of savings.

Why would you sweat like a pig teaching English here even if just for fun. I'm getting separated from my wife and was thinking about teaching to keep me busy. Then I step outside and start sweating like a pig in my very nonchalant shorts and t-shirt. Can't imagine wearing a suit and sweating like 3 pigs.

I think I need a better idea to keep me occupied.

17 hours ago, A2K63 said:

So I've been reading some of the threads in the Marriage and divorce sub forum. I'm having second thoughts now lol

Use common sense when choosing partner. I've lived in country over 10 yrs and married to a wonderful thai. Though scammers are plentiful there are also plenty of good honest women looking for good men. If you go searching in a bar you end up with a bar girl who has nothing to offer but headache and broken bank accounts. Stay away from the young gold diggers, you see them everywhere with older gentlemen and the poor fools think they're in it for love....lmao. Teaching jobs are plentiful, if you work for a government school and are a native speaker 30,000b plus 3,000b housing allowance is the norm.

Private Schools are much different quite often salary can start in 50,000b range.

16 hours ago, connda said:

The first thing you need to do is to check out other places to live.  This is not a foreigner-friendly place.  There are other places in this world that are foreigner-friendly and who will welcome you.  This is not one of those places.  

Such as? Genuine question. I'm open to ideas. Although if you're talking outside SE Asia maybe not. As an Australian I'll be coming back to visit friends and family from time to time. Another option for me is to visit several places in several countries and ''live'' there for a while, i.e. not be a tourist and spend enough time to get a good idea if I'd like to stay there.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:35 PM, Captain 776 said:

Big difference between software engineer and IT guy.

A good IT guy here prob gets 25,000 BHAT a month.......if that.

What nonsense.  A good Expat IT guy should be making at least 100K baht a month, my first job here paid 150K a month.

I'm looking to hire an a Thai IT guy for a junior position and we are offering a starting salary of 25K baht.

50 minutes ago, seancbk said:

What nonsense.  A good Expat IT guy should be making at least 100K baht a month, my first job here paid 150K a month.

I'm looking to hire an a Thai IT guy for a junior position and we are offering a starting salary of 25K baht.

Interested to know, as you appear to be in the field, what are the ex-pat IT jobs in Thailand, programmers, analyst etc or are they more the management of the IT department etc.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Interested to know, as you appear to be in the field, what are the ex-pat IT jobs in Thailand, programmers, analyst etc or are they more the management of the IT department etc.

Also interested. And how does one go about finding these jobs?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 8:41 PM, A2K63 said:

Also interested. And how does one go about finding these jobs?

"hello, i would like to send over a client referral. what number should i fax it to?"

ie collection of fax numbers for a spam marketing agency. you get paid per fax number gained. company starts sending spam ads through the fax machines wasting peoples ink and paper and causing them to get new fax numbers to get rid of the ads coming through.

I want to live in Thailand but......, 
But...., I only want to live in Thailand for a a month or 2......, at specific times of the year. Who wants to swap houses for awhile...., I have a nice coastal, rural place..., in a premium wine producing region in S/W WA ???????????????
How hard can it be ?  

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, A2K63 said:

Thanks that gives me some hope. My preference would be to continue to work in IT. Can I ask where you're finding the job ads? And are you required to speak Thai?

What is your IT experience? You are not required to speak Thai.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, moontang said:

exactly...and an engineer doesnt like to be called an IT Guy.  Met an Austrian guy with loads of telecom experience...40k per month here, and on call 24/7.  Zero money in hardware, here, even App development is 200 thb per hour..they like them young and fresh out of school.

I know a guy in telecom who earns 20K a day.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:03 AM, A2K63 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's all food for thought. To answer some of your questions:

I've holidayed in Thailand maybe half a dozen times for a total of maybe 2 months.

Re speaking Thai. Since I won't be heading over for a month or two I may as well start learning now at home. Maybe I'll find a Thai person who lives nearby and line up regular lessons.

I'm 56 years old. So I understand that gives me an extra option re Visa. In the short term I'd probably arrive on a 30 non visa then renew once or twice for a total of 90 days. Then assuming I really want to stay and make a life I'll apply for the ''oldies'' visa.

Re romance. Yeah I've heard and read plenty of horror stories. In an ideal world I'd meet a Thai woman who works in a corporate job or similar. Will be staying away from bar girls.

I plan on starting in Bangkok but it's not somewhere I wanna live long term. Ultimately I'd like to live in Hua Hin or similar. On the beach, clean, i.e. not Pattaya, but still closeish to Bangkok airports.

I wouldn't call myself an IT guy. My most recent contract I was a service manager. Working for Rio Tinto and looking after a lot of IBM and Accenture staff working out of India, Philippines and Poland. It was very well paid so not a junior position. I don't have any interest in help desk or desktop support or shift work. I accept it's pretty unlikely I'll find work in my chosen career but at least once I'm living in Bangkok I can approach any multinationals with offices there and see what if anything is available or possible.

In the meantime I'll keep researching opportunities to earn money online.

Send me a PM message, am looking for staff.

If work is the real priority and the OP has some specific employable skills, then can earn more money and without the Thai hassle if he considers either Hong Kong or Singapore while he is of working age. Thailand can then be travelled to easily for the odd weekends. But if its the I Love Thailand bug, then hey, drift away.....

Archived