Next Monday I'll go to Savannakhet to apply for Non-O Visa

I get married some days ago, and I decide to go to Savannakhet next Monday to apply for a Non-O Visa.

I saw many websites, including that embassy and consulates in Vientiane and Savannakhet http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/consulate/contact/   No English) but I get confused about the paperwork to present. 

So I would like to read some experience from expat here. Thailand's paperwork culture are frustrating me.

The wife should come with me to Laos? She work hard and I don't want to let here ask for 2 days.

In the website of Consular Section of the Thai embassy in Vientiane for example ask for this documents:

NON-IMMIGRANT “O” VISA
Non-Immigrant “O” Visa may be granted to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for various purposes mainly: 

1. To stay with the Thai family 2. To accompany spouse or family members working, studying or living in Thailand 3. To participate in voluntary services in Thailand 4. To have a long-stay retirement  

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS 
1. A completed and signed Visa Application Form 
2. 2 passport-sized photos taken within 6 months 
3. A passport or travel documents (valid for no less than 6 months) 
4. Additional requirements for specific purposes 

4.1 To stay with the Thai family 
• An original marriage certificate (for spouse) or birth certificate (for parents), a passport, and an Identity Card of the Thai spouse (copies of documents must be signed by the Thai spouse) 
• An original letter from the applicant’s Thai spouse 
• A bank statement (for Multiple-Entry visa, an applicant should show at least 6 months of bank statement with at least 100,000 baht or that equivalent in other currencies) 

Edited by zhounan

That info is not correct.

Savannakhet only requires your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa with no financial proof there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That info is not correct.

Savannakhet only requires your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa with no financial proof there.

As marriage certificate you intend Kor.2 or Kor.3 ?

They will return the original certificate?

Edited by zhounan

16 minutes ago, zhounan said:

As marriage certificate you intend Kor.2 or Kor.3 ?

They will return the original certificate?

Your Kor Ror 3 that is you actual marriage certificate. They only look at it to confirm it matches the copy your provided and then give it back to you.

10 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Is the info reported to a forum user correct?

Mostly correct.

You can sign the marriage certificate since your name is on it.

You only need copies of page 1 and the page your wife is registered on of her house book.

• Like 1

My wife should came with me? Or I can do it by myself?

I found a Nakhonchair bus that go to Mukdahan. As expert Thai Expats, and expert to border running, do you have experience about the best option to travel to Savannakhet?

Just now, zhounan said:

I found a Nakhonchair bus that go to Mukdahan. As expert Thai Expats, and expert to border running, do you have experience about the best option to travel to Savannakhet?

No need your wife

5 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Your wife is not required. But be sure she signs the copies before you go.

5 minutes ago, zhounan said:

That depends upon where you traveling from.

From Bangkok you can get a fly/ride service to Mukdahan from Don Mueang on Nok Air via 3 airports in the region.

• Like 1

Today I've done the procedure. Arrived at 10, just 5-6 people in queue. No problems with the document, I follow the insights of ubonjoe. After 10 minutes I was outside the consulate. 

Some people was asked for a bank statement (who apply for Tourist Visa), me NOT. 

Now spending the night at the nearest hotel ( 300-400mt from the consulate) : Somjit Hotel, a cheap but good room: 400 bath. Tomorrow in the morning probably will go to take a visit to the Dinosaur Museum and at 14 leave for the consulate to take my passport. 

Some economic details:

BKK to Mukdahan by Nachonchair 555 bath (slow speed in Poi Et province)

Mukdahan to Thai border by Tuk-Tuk: 50 baht/person (4 people)

Thai border to Lao border through Friendship Bridge 2 by bus (walk not permitted)

Lao Visa 1500 baht

Lao border to Thai Consulate bu Tuk Tuk: 100 baht/person (4 people)

Non Immigrant Visa 2000 baht

Hotel Room at Somjit Hotel: 400 baht 

Edited by zhounan
  • Like 1

So just to confirm quickly, for the multi entry non O based on marriage to a Thai, you just need:

Your original marriage cert.

Copies of the below, signed by the Thai spouse:

Marriage cert front.

Their Tabien Bahn front page showing the addresss, and their page.

Their ID card front and back.

Your passport ID page.

Do they also require the back of the marriage cert copied and signed?

46 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Best to have it incase you are asked. You wilfe does not have to sign the marriage certificate. You signature is enough since your name is on it.

All others you listed are correct.

Edit: FYI the consulate will be closed on Monday the 3rd of June for Queen Suthida's birthday.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

So just to confirm quickly, for the multi entry non O based on marriage to a Thai, you just need:

Your original marriage cert.

Copies of the below, signed by the Thai spouse:

Marriage cert front.

Their Tabien Bahn front page showing the addresss, and their page.

Their ID card front and back.

Your passport ID page.

Yes, on the back there's an important number, so don't forget to print it. 

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Did you only obtain a single entry Non O.

I thought the Multi entry was 5,000 baht.

Looks like he has gone for the single entry. He didn't state he wanted a multi-entry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Looks like he has gone for the single entry. He didn't state he wanted a multi-entry.

I wouldn't want to tempt fate, but it wouldn't be the first time someone wanting the 1 year Non O ME, didn't tick the box and received the 90 day Non O instead.

I assume the OP obtained it for the purpose of an extension next, but his post was rather vague in this respect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I wouldn't want to tempt fate, but it wouldn't be the first time someone wanting the 1 year Non O ME, didn't tick the box and received the 90 day Non O instead.

They would probably wonder why you were handing them 5,000bht.

To Ubonjoe, how about Non O single base on having a thai child. Is there any changes in savannakhet? Do the documents need to be sign by my partner for her id and house registration book. As i know before, base on thai child, documents base on thai depended do not need to be sign by my partner. I will be going on Monday.

On 6/1/2019 at 9:38 AM, Happy Grumpy said:

All done.

A copy of the back of the Marriage Certificate was never asked for. 

Some people have mentioned big queues on certain days. What was your experience ?

56 minutes ago, ericnoodeeka said:

Ubon joe, is that correct? Also how much does this cost. Thank you in advance.

You just need your original marriage certificate (Kor 3) and a copy.

They do not normally ask for the Kor 2 marriage registry that you should already have or if not you could get a printout of it at an Amphoe for a fee of 20 baht.

42 minutes ago, Denim said:

Some people have mentioned big queues on certain days. What was your experience ?

The visa run companies seem to be going on Monday and Thursdays so

probably best to avoid those days.

I went on a Wednesday and had about 15 people in front of me at 10 o'clock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

How about non-O based on retirement? Is Savannakhet good for this? Docs?

Proof of 800k baht in the bank or proof of 65k baht income and proof of retirement. 

A few posts of getting a multiple entry visa there but most are for single entry visas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

The visa run companies seem to be going on Monday and Thursdays so

probably best to avoid those days.

I went on a Wednesday and had about 15 people in front of me at 10 o'clock.

When was that if you don't mind me asking.

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
Proof of 800k baht in the bank or proof of 65k baht income and proof of retirement. 
A few posts of getting a multiple entry visa there but most are for single entry visas.

Equivalent currency is ok isn't it?

Yes

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Wednesday last week.

Thanks a lot. That information will be very reassuring to a lot of people. Hope it stays like that. I was already considering other options but it seems there is hope yet.

Unless the visa run companies decide to go Wednesdays in future. My Non O expires in September but if I get one more run out of it and then a 2 month extension I could delay until February.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1