Mandatory health insurance for over 50s in Thailand only affects those on Non-Immigrant Visa O-A

webfact

9 hours ago, aBigSmile said:

the people on yearly extension have greater incentive to withhold paying their bills, as it might drop their balance below the immigration requirements.

Interesting that you bring that up. I was in an expensive hospital room getting antibiotic drips every 6 hours and it was costing me about 20,000 baht per day. I calculated that I would drop below the 800,000 mark before my extension the following month.

So I checked out of the hospital after persuading the doctor to give me a stronger single dose every morning and was treated as an outpatient for another week at about a quarter of the daily cost. But the main reason for checking out was to allow me to get to my computer and transfer more cash to Thailand to make sure I would be above the 800,000 mark. (I now keep a lot more in the bank.)

This does raise a question however: what happens if you use up your cash on emergency hospital treatment just before your extension? Will Immigration accept a hospital bill/receipt for, say, 200,000 baht plus a bank book showing 700,000 baht left? I bet there are no clear rules for that!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Interesting that you bring that up. I was in an expensive hospital room getting antibiotic drips every 6 hours and it was costing me about 20,000 baht per day. I calculated that I would drop below the 800,000 mark before my extension the following month.

So I checked out of the hospital after persuading the doctor to give me a stronger single dose every morning and was treated as an outpatient for another week at about a quarter of the daily cost. But the main reason for checking out was to allow me to get to my computer and transfer more cash to Thailand to make sure I would be above the 800,000 mark. (I now keep a lot more in the bank.)

This does raise a question however: what happens if you use up your cash on emergency hospital treatment just before your extension? Will Immigration accept a hospital bill/receipt for, say, 200,000 baht plus a bank book showing 700,000 baht left? I bet there are no clear rules for that!

Whats the big deal. If you drop below you do a visa run and start again..not the end of the world 

18 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

(I now keep a lot more in the bank.)......Oh !! Lucky You.....

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

But the main reason for checking out was to allow me to get to my computer and transfer more cash to Thailand to make sure I would be above the 800,000 mark. (I now keep a lot more in the bank.)

What a crazy situation, having to check out of hospital for your own well being and security! 

In spite of the promised leniency from immigration (on the new income rules) they seem to have mostly been adopting a hard line recently, rejecting extensions on all kinds of technicalities, including missing TM30s. So I doubt they'd cut much slack in the hypocritical situation above, even if your money only dropped down to 795,000.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:09 AM, spidermike007 said:

Maybe without the Biggest Joke, the nation can return to a less hostile place for ex-pats.

Personally I think exactly the opposite. It will be worse for expats in pseudo-democracy.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:09 AM, spidermike007 said:

Unfortunately, the army is still in place. 

I'm surprised this comment has not been moderated. Then I hope I'll be allowed to reply that, to me, unfortunately pseudo-democracy (= political chaos) is coming back.

10 hours ago, madmen said:

Whats the big deal. If you drop below you do a visa run and start again..not the end of the world 

Its a nice thought that in my declining years I may need to make visa runs for a bank overdraft... Have walker will travel... :coffee1:

But kidding aside... if I were in my 70s or 80s I would not withdraw any funds from my 800k visa balance to pay medical bills... I would tell the hospital they would have to wait until I could transfer more funds from my home country...

So sorry if this has been answered before....I havent been able to follow all the threads.....but I have a friend just returned from UK where annually ( 12 years now) he secures a Visa Type O. The one that permits a 12 month stay but requires a person to leave the Country every 90 days. This person lives in Chiang Mai and goes every 90 days to Mae Sai.

From info presumed so far, is this person caught by the health insurance requirement? He is 76 and has no health insurance at all.

Thanks. He will turn to me for advice as hes not good with the old "interweb" aand is frequently confused by life in the 21st Century !!!

Just now, EL159 said:

So sorry if this has been answered before....I havent been able to follow all the threads.....but I have a friend just returned from UK where annually ( 12 years now) he secures a Visa Type O. The one that permits a 12 month stay but requires a person to leave the Country every 90 days. This person lives in Chiang Mai and goes every 90 days to Mae Sai.

From info presumed so far, is this person caught by the health insurance requirement? He is 76 and has no health insurance at all.

Thanks. He will turn to me for advice as hes not good with the old "interweb" aand is frequently confused by life in the 21st Century !!!

No!

4 hours ago, Camillof said:

Thank you Thaivisa for the clarification. To me, this whole matter had at least one positive effect: it taught me the name of 6 insurance companies I will neverever buy any product from.

And it seems they have not seen this latest update, today I received yet another email from them with the same opening line.

“The Thai government this month mandated that foreigners 50 years and over must arrange an adequate health plan.”

No mention that it’s only for people on O-A visas, instead giving the impression that everybody over 50 needs to have insurance, irrespective of their visa status.

14 minutes ago, taxin said:

And it seems they have not seen this latest update, today I received yet another email from them with the same opening line.

“The Thai government this month mandated that foreigners 50 years and over must arrange an adequate health plan.”

No mention that it’s only for people on O-A visas, instead giving the impression that everybody over 50 needs to have insurance, irrespective of their visa status.

Who is them?

just came back from my retirement extension in bangkok, all went well using a 5 month old OZ stat dec no financials needed.

As I finished up I asked do I need proof of health insurance next year she said "no need"

just came back from my retirement extension in bangkok, all went well using a 5 month old OZ stat dec no financials needed.
As I finished up I asked do I need proof of health insurance next year she said "no need"
Asking about something a year in advance in Thailand. Good one!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Very good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/26/2019 at 10:17 PM, JetsetBkk said:

This does raise a question however: what happens if you use up your cash on emergency hospital treatment just before your extension? 

On a Flemish/Dutch forum somebody asked this question to a representative of a local immigration office somewhere in the South of Thailand. 

He was answered there that this would be at the discretion of the officer he would be dealing with. 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:57 PM, streetlite said:

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. My retirement stamp is similar to the one shown in the picture. What does the stamp look like for the O-retirees? Also what is the difference because we are all on extension of stays but having come in 10 years ago on an O-A we jumped through additional hoops (police check, medical, etc).

I'm puzzled.

I am sure it will shortly be required for all long term staying retirees.  It makes little sense, even from a Thai mentality point of view to only be required of O A types

20 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I am sure it will shortly be required for all long term staying retirees.  It makes little sense, even from a Thai mentality point of view to only be required of O A types

Or maybe it makes perfect sense from a Thai mentality POV … ? :stoner:

Cant believe how many posters are to stupid to know that insurance is

(at best) a business that has huge overheads, wages to pay etc., and as such, they 75% of their labour costs go into looking at ways to reject your claim.

At worst it is an outright scam and  85%+ customers pay thousands every year and get nothing back ever.

only higher costs as you get older..

Npt to mention, the very first time you will make a claim, you will meet a wall of resistance..

ITS A SCAM!!

If you are a snowflake, PC generation who thinks insurance is there to help you in Thailand.

Then stay at home! 

You are not set up for the risk, and insurance companies DO NOT cover the risky!

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

Cant believe how many posters are to stupid to know that insurance is

(at best) a business that has huge overheads, wages to pay etc., and as such, they 75% of their labour costs go into looking at ways to reject your claim.

At worst it is an outright scam and  85%+ customers pay thousands every year and get nothing back ever.

only higher costs as you get older..

Npt to mention, the very first time you will make a claim, you will meet a wall of resistance..

ITS A SCAM!!

If you are a snowflake, PC generation who thinks insurance is there to help you in Thailand.

Then stay at home! 

You are not set up for the risk, and insurance companies DO NOT cover the risky!

If the government demands we buy thai insurance in order to stay, then we buy it to stay not to eliminate risk

2 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

If the government demands we buy thai insurance in order to stay, then we buy it to stay not to eliminate risk

So you are ok in paying for a scam service "just to stay"?

Many even supported whole families, buy houses they cant own and supported kids after the Thai father runs away.

But of course you never got any thanks for that and even a kick in the guts from the government to boot.

what will it be next?

No, They are going way to far with this silly and arrogant anti-foriegner policies.

If ever you teached English you would have even heard kids saying

"Thailand is everyones dream destination"

Ridiculous!

So you are ok in paying for a scam service "just to stay"?
Many even supported whole families, buy houses they cant own and supported kids after the Thai father runs away.

But of course you never got any thanks for that and even a kick in the guts from the government to boot.
what will it be next?

No, They are going way to far with this silly and arrogant anti-foriegner policies.
If ever you teached English you would have even heard kids saying
"Thailand is everyones dream destination"
Ridiculous!

I am assuming you have never “ teached “ English !!

3 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Indeed it will only be a financial demand.

No guarantee at all of any recover of it.

It will be to each of us in particular, to decide if one will/can, abide to this eventual new regulation. 

21 hours ago, sfokevin said:

But kidding aside... if I were in my 70s or 80s I would not withdraw any funds from my 800k visa balance to pay medical bills... I would tell the hospital they would have to wait until I could transfer more funds from my home country...

You would if you could....

Meaning many enter a hospital unconscious

At that point the doctor tells your wife or ??? you need operation NOW

cost = x-baht

If at that point you have no representative/wife etc the hospital will ???

That is one I would be curious to hear how it will be handled

Will all the bank account Immigration visa ext. required be available to hospital billing if

you remain unconscious or worse?

These things will be interesting going forward

2 hours ago, mania said:

You would if you could....

Meaning many enter a hospital unconscious

At that point the doctor tells your wife or ??? you need operation NOW

cost = x-baht

If at that point you have no representative/wife etc the hospital will ???

That is one I would be curious to hear how it will be handled

Will all the bank account Immigration visa ext. required be available to hospital billing if

you remain unconscious or worse?

These things will be interesting going forward

I have yet to read on this forum a situation where anyone’s bank account has been turned over to a hospital while the person is still alive and without their consent... 800k account must be in the name of the farrang only (no joint account)... It would seem a court order would be the only way to access the funds without the account holders consent... (I am not considering people who are dumb enough to keep their 800k funds in an account accessible with an ATM card and have handed the pin to a third party)... I have also never heard of any farrang brought into a hospital unconscious in the ICU and not being treated because of financial reasons... On the contrary according to government statistics hundreds of thousands of foreigners seem to be able to be readily treated and released from the hospital without any financial transaction taking place...

On 5/24/2019 at 1:14 PM, dotpoom said:

Despite this very clear and precise information...what odds will you lay that possibly as soon as tomorrow there will be an OP asking ..."Who exactly has to get the new Health Insurance to stay in Thailand"?

With more than 5600 posts it's clear you haven't much else to do. However others of us do and check TV posts and read many for entertainment, to pass time and sometimes to get info and it's those whom will miss this post and seek and others and not want to take the time, and sometimes it does take a great deal of time, to find an answer to their question on TV. The TV search isn't very exact.

I have learned it is not very pleasant to post here. You'll get well said and polite responses for about the first page maybe page and a half then those like you with about the same number of posts will chime in with insults. I've come to expect it but really don't give a R--'s ass what they say as I will only pay attention to those with intellect.

So...Ya'll bring it on but understand you will only be talking to one another because I have said what I have to say and will not even look at any responses.

Follow the money, this is a lot less about what you folks are talking about and allot more about insurance companies making hundreds of billions of baht and the associated trickle down kickbacks. You can rest assured all farang will end up paying premiums in the near future. Once this reaches the entire expat community we are talking 500 billion baht per year windfall to insurance companies. Of course it will happen. Step one was requiring all expats on extensions to deposit 800K basically year round. 

I thought the 65K monthly verification of funds deposited was a thing of the past. Correct or not?

20 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Follow the money, this is a lot less about what you folks are talking about and allot more about insurance companies making hundreds of billions of baht and the associated trickle down kickbacks. You can rest assured all farang will end up paying premiums in the near future. Once this reaches the entire expat community we are talking 500 billion baht per year windfall to insurance companies. Of course it will happen. Step one was requiring all expats on extensions to deposit 800K basically year round. 

I thought the 65K monthly verification of funds deposited was a thing of the past. Correct or not?

Not correct. 

7 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

I'm sure that the insurance company lobbyists are hard at work transferring money into the PM's and relevant and MP's accounts to get the law changed to cover as many visa types and extensions as possible.

Archived