BANGKOK 16 June 2019 23:30
Henryford

True credit going down on unused phone

I don't use my phone much and usually just top up 100 baht PAYG every week or so. Recently my credit has been going down @20-30 baht a day even when the phone is not used (and not using mobile data). How do i check who is taking this credit and stop it?

• Thanks 1

Have you also disabled  "background data"   if not disabled many apps sneakily connect to the internet thus using up your credit.

if using android try looking in settings/data usage  then tap the 3 dots top right hand corner and disable background data.

• Like 1

If you don't use your phone much, why are you "topping up 100 baht every week"?

Check that you are being charged for subscription SMS and turn off mobile data.

If it turns out to be mobile data, get a SIM with free 'always on' data(64 kbps). All the networks have this available.

19 hours ago, Henryford said:

How do i check who is taking this credit and stop it?

Use the mobile app or the online system to examine your recent detailed usage. You should be able to see recent calls, texts, data and "other". "Other" is often services utilizing SMS delivery: lucky lotto, horoscope, footy scores, etc.)

My guess: mobile data leakage when your WiFi drops, or you have no WiFi?

Turn off mobile data in the phone: Settings, Network & internet, Data usage, toggle Mobile data to OFF.

You should be able to disable mobile data within the TrueMove H system as well, *902*2# SEND, maybe it is in the mobile app too? To turn it back on *902*1# SEND.

https://iservice.truecorp.co.th/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truelife.mobile.android.trueiservice

If these prove too challenging obviously stop in a full-service shop, and they can help you get to the bottom of your loss.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, johng said:

Have you also disabled  "background data"   if not disabled many apps sneakily connect to the internet thus using up your credit.

if using android try looking in settings/data usage  then tap the 3 dots top right hand corner and disable background data.

Wow!...thank you kindly. I have had the same problem with AIS for years. I just had to close my Mobile Data permantly (by shutting it down with certain numbers). I have 2 modems of my own in different locations and only use Wi-Fi.

But this is the first time I heard about the advice you give on here.  Thanks again.

PS. Tried to check out your instructions. After pressing on the 3 dots I just get "Mobile Networks"....nothing about... "Background Data"

PPS. Maybe due to my closing "Mobile Data".

Edited by dotpoom

26 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

PS. Tried to check out your instructions. After pressing on the 3 dots I just get "Mobile Networks"....nothing about... "Background Data"

It probably depends upon your android version  as to where/whether the background data setting is located

it might even be called "something else"  

My android version is 5.0.2

https://ting.com/blog/ting-tip-for-android-control-which-apps-use-background-mobile-data/

29 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

PPS. Maybe due to my closing "Mobile Data".

mine's disabled too  but  background data is still switchable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I have had the same problem with AIS for years.

AIS customers can disable mobile data within the AIS system...

To deactivate data service Dial * 129 * 1 # call

To activate data service Dial * 129 * 2 # call
To check data activation status Dial * 129 # call

Should prevent any leaks.

21 hours ago, johng said:

Do you know how to disable "background data" on an iPhone? Instructions please.

Posted (edited)

I have a similar problem with TrueMove H, my credit literally just disappears, but it is not because of mobile data - I never turn it on as I have wifi at home, location data is always off as well. If I put 200 baht on it disappears without me making a single call.

Edited by SteveK

17 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I have a similar problem with TrueMove H, my credit literally just disappears, but it is not because of mobile data - I never turn it on as I have wifi at home, location data is always off as well. If I put 200 baht on it disappears without me making a single call.

Magic.

Seriously, check your account, on mobile app or online, to verify usage.

How quickly does your 200 baht disappear? Minutes, hours, days?

Would it disappear if you turned your phone off? 

Are you receiving any unusual SMSes?

Sounds like a data leak. 

Try:

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

*902*2# SEND

Mrs got higher than usual bill from True last month. Went True store to query, apparently she had signed up to some fortune teller service.

When she told them she had not and had not recieved any odd SMS the charres were dropped.

Only odd thing was the previous month one of the staff at the same shop did something to her phone to fix a problem she was having.

I would go and see vTrue.

I've had the same issue with True. Unsolicited SMS horoscope messages were filching about 5 baht/day from my phone credit. Went to a True shop and they blocked the source.

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Do you know how to disable "background data" on an iPhone? Instructions please.

No idea.. sorry.

I have the same ,as I load 100 baht (give me 1 year as it is very old package ..) the money disappears with something as 8 baht , no phoning it is gone before a month ends and some like 3.5 baht remains , it stays present not disappearing nothing for how long ever . Tried Ais staff  , they checked did some … , but still the same.

My solution , I use that official number only for receiving ,and second ais for calling , all works fine as on second the money balance keep same ,and if internet needed on sim 1 load money and buy internet quick before deducting that 8 baht mystery thing start again  . TinTongAis 

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Use the mobile app or the online system to examine your recent detailed usage. You should be able to see recent calls, texts, data and "other". "Other" is often services utilizing SMS delivery: lucky lotto, horoscope, footy scores, etc.)

My guess: mobile data leakage when your WiFi drops, or you have no WiFi?

Turn off mobile data in the phone: Settings, Network & internet, Data usage, toggle Mobile data to OFF.

You should be able to disable mobile data within the TrueMove H system as well, *902*2# SEND, maybe it is in the mobile app too? To turn it back on *902*1# SEND.

https://iservice.truecorp.co.th/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truelife.mobile.android.trueiservice

If these prove too challenging obviously stop in a full-service shop, and they can help you get to the bottom of your loss.

True websites and apps are ridiculous. Cannot register and cannot check anything online.