True credit going down on unused phone

I don't use my phone much and usually just top up 100 baht PAYG every week or so. Recently my credit has been going down @20-30 baht a day even when the phone is not used (and not using mobile data). How do i check who is taking this credit and stop it?

Have you also disabled  "background data"   if not disabled many apps sneakily connect to the internet thus using up your credit.

if using android try looking in settings/data usage  then tap the 3 dots top right hand corner and disable background data.

If you don't use your phone much, why are you "topping up 100 baht every week"?

Check that you are being charged for subscription SMS and turn off mobile data.

If it turns out to be mobile data, get a SIM with free 'always on' data(64 kbps). All the networks have this available.

19 hours ago, Henryford said:

How do i check who is taking this credit and stop it?

Use the mobile app or the online system to examine your recent detailed usage. You should be able to see recent calls, texts, data and "other". "Other" is often services utilizing SMS delivery: lucky lotto, horoscope, footy scores, etc.)

My guess: mobile data leakage when your WiFi drops, or you have no WiFi?

Turn off mobile data in the phone: Settings, Network & internet, Data usage, toggle Mobile data to OFF.

You should be able to disable mobile data within the TrueMove H system as well, *902*2# SEND, maybe it is in the mobile app too? To turn it back on *902*1# SEND.

https://iservice.truecorp.co.th/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truelife.mobile.android.trueiservice

If these prove too challenging obviously stop in a full-service shop, and they can help you get to the bottom of your loss.

20 hours ago, johng said:

Have you also disabled  "background data"   if not disabled many apps sneakily connect to the internet thus using up your credit.

if using android try looking in settings/data usage  then tap the 3 dots top right hand corner and disable background data.

Wow!...thank you kindly. I have had the same problem with AIS for years. I just had to close my Mobile Data permantly (by shutting it down with certain numbers). I have 2 modems of my own in different locations and only use Wi-Fi.

But this is the first time I heard about the advice you give on here.  Thanks again.

PS. Tried to check out your instructions. After pressing on the 3 dots I just get "Mobile Networks"....nothing about... "Background Data"

PPS. Maybe due to my closing "Mobile Data".

26 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

PS. Tried to check out your instructions. After pressing on the 3 dots I just get "Mobile Networks"....nothing about... "Background Data"

It probably depends upon your android version  as to where/whether the background data setting is located

it might even be called "something else"  

My android version is 5.0.2

https://ting.com/blog/ting-tip-for-android-control-which-apps-use-background-mobile-data/

29 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

PPS. Maybe due to my closing "Mobile Data".

mine's disabled too  but  background data is still switchable.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I have had the same problem with AIS for years.

AIS customers can disable mobile data within the AIS system...

To deactivate data service Dial * 129 * 1 # call

To activate data service Dial * 129 * 2 # call
To check data activation status Dial * 129 # call

Should prevent any leaks.

21 hours ago, johng said:

Do you know how to disable "background data" on an iPhone? Instructions please.

I have a similar problem with TrueMove H, my credit literally just disappears, but it is not because of mobile data - I never turn it on as I have wifi at home, location data is always off as well. If I put 200 baht on it disappears without me making a single call.

17 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I have a similar problem with TrueMove H, my credit literally just disappears, but it is not because of mobile data - I never turn it on as I have wifi at home, location data is always off as well. If I put 200 baht on it disappears without me making a single call.

Magic.

Seriously, check your account, on mobile app or online, to verify usage.

How quickly does your 200 baht disappear? Minutes, hours, days?

Would it disappear if you turned your phone off? 

Are you receiving any unusual SMSes?

Sounds like a data leak. 

Try:

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

*902*2# SEND

Mrs got higher than usual bill from True last month. Went True store to query, apparently she had signed up to some fortune teller service.

When she told them she had not and had not recieved any odd SMS the charres were dropped.

Only odd thing was the previous month one of the staff at the same shop did something to her phone to fix a problem she was having.

I would go and see vTrue.

I've had the same issue with True. Unsolicited SMS horoscope messages were filching about 5 baht/day from my phone credit. Went to a True shop and they blocked the source.

I have the same ,as I load 100 baht (give me 1 year as it is very old package ..) the money disappears with something as 8 baht , no phoning it is gone before a month ends and some like 3.5 baht remains , it stays present not disappearing nothing for how long ever . Tried Ais staff  , they checked did some … , but still the same.

My solution , I use that official number only for receiving ,and second ais for calling , all works fine as on second the money balance keep same ,and if internet needed on sim 1 load money and buy internet quick before deducting that 8 baht mystery thing start again  . TinTongAis 

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Use the mobile app or the online system to examine your recent detailed usage. You should be able to see recent calls, texts, data and "other". "Other" is often services utilizing SMS delivery: lucky lotto, horoscope, footy scores, etc.)

My guess: mobile data leakage when your WiFi drops, or you have no WiFi?

Turn off mobile data in the phone: Settings, Network & internet, Data usage, toggle Mobile data to OFF.

You should be able to disable mobile data within the TrueMove H system as well, *902*2# SEND, maybe it is in the mobile app too? To turn it back on *902*1# SEND.

https://iservice.truecorp.co.th/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truelife.mobile.android.trueiservice

If these prove too challenging obviously stop in a full-service shop, and they can help you get to the bottom of your loss.

True websites and apps are ridiculous. Cannot register and cannot check anything online.

7 hours ago, johng said:

It probably depends upon your android version  as to where/whether the background data setting is located

it might even be called "something else"  

My android version is 5.0.2

https://ting.com/blog/ting-tip-for-android-control-which-apps-use-background-mobile-data/

mine's disabled too  but  background data is still switchable.

Install DataEye and it will block all data, unless you say 'yes' when it asks.

I have the same problem with True. It only stops when I keep mobile data turned off since I use wifi most of time. But if I go out and turn on mobile data even without using it the time leaks away. I just have to remember to turn it off.

The suggestions about restricting mobile data usage in the Android settings is a good idea too. I just checked and found a dozen apps sneaking onto the mobile network. Naturally some apps use this method to send private data back to the mothership as well.

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

But if I go out and turn on mobile data even without using it the time leaks away.

Yes, without a subscription to a mobile data plan you will be charged some rate, typically 1.07 baht/minute for a mobile internet connection (not usage).

You can fully disable mobile data in Android, no silly apps, or directly with TrueMove H.

If you just need a very short term Internet package with Truemove H; *900*0003# Dial key

3.21 baht for one hour of Internet at 1 Mbps...if it still works.

That way, you don't lose a lot of credit when you turn mobile data on temporarily and your phone decides it the perfect time to download an update.

Yes, without a subscription to a mobile data plan you will be charged some rate, typically 1.07 baht/minute for a mobile internet connection (not usage).

You can fully disable mobile data in Android, no silly apps, or directly with TrueMove H.

Ah, thanks very much for that info. My Thai is not good enough to wring that tidbit from the local True shop. Now it makes sense.

Unfortunately my S7 is locked by Verizon and *90xxxxxx is reserved to turn call forwarding on/off so I can't use it to send SMS​ codes to subscribe to various services with True. I plan to get it unlocked on my next trip home.

So I have to go to a shop or kiosk and prepay to get a monthly plan. No kiosks in my Tambon of course but enough shops to choke a horse, each attended by a score of indifferent and unknowledgeable employees. Supposedly I can renew the plan on the web but have never succeeded at that.
At least I know how to choke the phantom usage now. Just keep mobile off unless I need it. I can top up using Lazada wallet when I travel. Sneaky bas**rds.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, SteveK said:

If I put 200 baht on it disappears without me making a single call.

Same here, my True Move H prepaid SIM is default off in phone for everything (SIM turned off and I just use a DTAC in other SIM slot) and my account has gone done to 0THB on the True web site. If I select history usage there is nothing shown. What gives? 

Unfortunately my S7 is locked by Verizon

Well, this certainly adds another potential layer of complexity.

Without understanding your application requirements - you could get an inexpensive second phone (~ 3,000 THB new) for use here, even a used S7 might be had for less than 5,000 THB - the Verizon S7 is factory SIM unlocked.

https://www.androidcentral.com/yes-verizon-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-are-sim-unlocked

Assuming you are truly on the TrueMove H network you should be able to use the True codes: like *9....., can't see how a USD code could get directed back to VZ? Do you still have a contract with them? 

Or just switch to a really inexpensive monthly mobile data recurring plan. On some low-use lines we only pay 107 baht/month for 1 Mbps.

Well, this certainly adds another potential layer of complexity.

Without understanding your application requirements - you could get an inexpensive second phone (~ 3,000 THB new) for use here, even a used S7 might be had for less than 5,000 THB - the Verizon S7 is factory SIM unlocked.

https://www.androidcentral.com/yes-verizon-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-are-sim-unlocked

Assuming you are truly on the TrueMove H network you should be able to use the True codes: like *9....., can't see how a USD code could get directed back to VZ? Do you still have a contract with them? 

Or just switch to a really inexpensive monthly mobile data recurring plan. On some low-use lines we only pay 107 baht/month for 1 Mbps.
Thanks again. I took out the Verizon sim when I came here two years ago and have had true since then.
I think the code capture takes place at the hardware level.

I'll look at your link.

Yes, I want and have had a recurring plan but I either pay several months in advance or go to a true shop each month to refill. That requires that I call true, get an English speaking Rep, and then hand the phone over to the counter sloths to understand and take my cash. I've grown weary of that ritual and the shop folks don't learn by repetition.

The real answer is to learn how to pay a recurring plan on the web every mo th using my Thai bank account. I guess I'll have to invest the time and brain damage soon to do that.

Thanks for your gracious help mtls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:57 PM, Henryford said:

I don't use my phone much and usually just top up 100 baht PAYG every week or so. Recently my credit has been going down @20-30 baht a day even when the phone is not used (and not using mobile data). How do i check who is taking this credit and stop it?

There's only one way to find out for sure and that is to ask True.  Did you try that?

I think the code capture takes place at the hardware level.

Meh, don't think so. What happens when you enter *902*2# SEND on the dialer?

The real answer is to learn how to pay a recurring plan on the web every mo th

Without a clear understanding of your location and requirements, it's hard to help. You've been here two years so maybe getting by?

Is there a convenience store nearby? Have you ever seen this machine?

Just add money to your number.

Your bank's online functions should allow for mobile phone number topups.

You can review and select mobile data plan options using the mobile app.

About-boonterm-Business-Unit_07.jpg

If you are not a heavy user, 4 GB per month should do you; *900*1776# 161 baht

If you have a problem with USSD code, you can try a click through solution such as this; http://packnet.truemoveh.com/campaign/72

The package behind *900*1801# is 1 GB of data slowing down to 128kbps if you utilise the 1GB before the month is up. If you need more data you can apply a data/speed boost, but in that case you would need to be able to tap in the correct code via USSD.

Since Truemove H still has 2G, if you have an old 2G phone, you can put your Truemove H SIM in an adaptor and use that to apply the code.

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Some, not all, TrueMove H promotions. The mobile app will have all of the latest promos.

http://www.prosermthaisim.com/true.php

All of their capped speed plans are rendered useless, since you can buy one of their full speed volume data plans for less.

For instance, why would you subscribe to their 10 Mbps over 7 day package for 353.1 baht if it is limited to 14GB, when you can walk into any 7/11 and get a 15GB over 10 day package for 200 baht?

Archived