Thanathorn may attend parliament opening and 1st House meeting

webfact

Thanathorn may attend parliament opening and 1st House meeting

Sorasak-Pienwech.png

Embattled Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit can attend the formal opening of parliament today, presided over by His Majesty the King in the conference hall of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Secretary-general of the House of Representatives, Mr. Sorasak Pienwech, said that his office has yet to receive a formal order from the Constitutional Court temporarily suspending Thanathorn’s parliamentary membership so, for now, the he is still a member of parliament and is permitted to attend the event today.

The Constitutional Court voted 8:1 on Thursday to suspend Thanathorn’s parliamentary membership after it unanimously voted to accept the Election Commission’s media share ownership case against the Future Forward party leader.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thanathorn-may-attend-parliament-opening-and-1st-house-meeting/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-24

Thanathorn attends opening of parliament along with other newly-elected members

By The Nation

63f1317f341f47a706afd62226858e45.jpeg

Dressed in the government uniform, newly-elected members of House of Representatives on Friday attended the ceremony to open parliament.

They included Future Forward leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit who had been suspended from duties the day before.

White-suited Thanathorn also appeared at the foreign ministry office - the ceremony avenue - as he still had the right to participate in the ceremony but not to vote after his suspension.

The suspension stemmed from the media shareholding case, which is now before the Constitutional Court, to make a decision whether to remove him from office or not.

On Thursday, when the Court announced Thanathorn should be suspended from the House of Representatives until the case was concluded, it was assumed that Thanathorn would not be entering Parliament despite his huge success in the election.

Though it was bad news for the anti-junta camp, supporters were still able to make jokes about Thanathorn and the white suit, posting the attire for sale as a “like new” outfit.

“Second hand but only worn once. It’s good as new,” the viral posts said.

Previously, Future Forward Party had posted photos of its leaders including Thanathorn trying out the uniform after their electoral success. The photos made their supporters happy as most people thought they would not make it into parliament.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369935

thenation_logo.jpg

I have to wonder at the campaign ribbons, as they haven't actually done anything yet. I assume they start with "Showed up first day" and "Found the right door" but after that......

The woman seems to have a different set, also lacking the big one at the bottom. 

Even by the junta's standards, this is an impossibly shambolic situation: first we are told that Thanathorn will NOT be able to be politically active now that the Authorities have accepted that he does have a case to answer; next we are told, 'Sorry - nothing official has reached us yet, so Thanathorn can turn up to Parliament' in all his (ridiculous Admiral-style) regalia (I mean - this overblown sartorial aspect of Thai officialdom is ridiculous - not Thanathorn).

What a complete joke and a shambles.

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Even by the junta's standards, this is an impossibly shambolic situation: first we are told that Thanathorn will NOT be able to be politically active now that the Authorities have accepted that he does have a case to answer; next we are told, 'Sorry - nothing official has reached us yet, so Thanathorn can turn up to Parliament' in all his (ridiculous Admiral-style) regalia (I mean - this aspect of Thai officialdom is ridiculous - not Thanathorn).

Welcome to the hub of ...... 

Fill in the blank, if possible 

27 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Even by the junta's standards, this is an impossibly shambolic situation: first we are told that Thanathorn will NOT be able to be politically active now that the Authorities have accepted that he does have a case to answer; next we are told, 'Sorry - nothing official has reached us yet, so Thanathorn can turn up to Parliament' in all his (ridiculous Admiral-style) regalia (I mean - this aspect of Thai officialdom is ridiculous - not Thanathorn).

What’s the old expression? “Oh, what a tangled tale we weave; when first we practice to deceive”

I guess Sir Walter Scott came up with it thinking that there were always consequences for lying. He’d obviously never visited Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Ozman52 said:

I have to wonder at the campaign ribbons, as they haven't actually done anything yet. I assume they start with "Showed up first day" and "Found the right door" but after that......

The woman seems to have a different set, also lacking the big one at the bottom. 

They’re not campaign ribbons, more of a bar code system to show governmental position... that’s what I’ve been told anyway 

1 minute ago, lemonjelly said:

They’re not campaign ribbons, more of a bar code system to show governmental position... that’s what I’ve been told anyway 

Disagree mate, my wife wears them, she is a school director, bought hers on the local market 200 baht.

I asked why are you doing that, her answer everybody does it.

Sod all to do with any government position.

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

He needs to turn up with 10,000 supporters carrying down with military rule banners

And not wearing the uniform of systemic, formalised, hierarchical, oppression.

I love his defiance. This is exactly what the hapless army needs. Pushback from the people. The majority disapprove of them, and most of the youth despises them. I do too. Show your disapproval. Let us not support illegitimacy. 

15 hours ago, rkidlad said:

What’s the old expression? “Oh, what a tangled tale we weave; when first we practice to deceive”

I guess Sir Walter Scott came up with it thinking that there were always consequences for lying. He’d obviously never visited Thailand. 

In answer to your question, not knowing if it was rhetorical or not, but agreeing with the sentiment -

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive!
Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I love his defiance. This is exactly what the hapless army needs. Pushback from the people. The majority disapprove of them, and most of the youth despises them. I do too. Show your disapproval. Let us not support illegitimacy. 

Defiance??? He was invited.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Got my vote... ditto

12 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

He is a member of parliament. Refreshing to see people that rightfully earned that seat. And no blatant vote buying either. 

Glad you agree there was no defiance involved. How do rich people get into parliament? They buy a political party, spend a few million on advertising, and put themselves as #1 on the party list.  You can even get to be PM that way, and when you are otherwise engaged, nominate your B-I-L, or sister. Ain't democracy (Thai style) grand!

2 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Glad you agree there was no defiance involved. How do rich people get into parliament? They buy a political party, spend a few million on advertising, and put themselves as #1 on the party list.  You can even get to be PM that way, and when you are otherwise engaged, nominate your B-I-L, or sister. Ain't democracy (Thai style) grand!

People still have to vote for you, but I guess that little tidbit goes right over your head. Incidentally, there are other billionaires who simply grab power by the barrel of the gun, scrap the constitution and make their own laws. As to nominating family members and close friends, did you hear how the senate has been populated ? Be quiet, these acts make Thaksin look like a kindergarten nanny !

7 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

People still have to vote for you, but I guess that little tidbit goes right over your head. Incidentally, there are other billionaires who simply grab power by the barrel of the gun, scrap the constitution and make their own laws. As to nominating family members and close friends, did you hear how the senate has been populated ? Be quiet, these acts make Thaksin look like a kindergarten nanny !

You are misinformed. If 8,000 people nationwide vote for the OTHER candidates in your party, the #1 party list candidate is an MP. At B500/head, that is a mere B4 million, chickenfeed to the really wealthy. Seats in Thai parliament are bought, and bloody cheaply. The PMship is more expensive, but apparently well worth to those with the means.

In Oz every candidate fronts an electorate, and PMs have lost their seat. Our PMs come from all walks of life, not just the rich and fatuous.

BTW those you revile won the most votes, like it or not. I'm sure you'll will find some excuse to ignore that.

1 hour ago, Ozman52 said:

You are misinformed. If 8,000 people nationwide vote for the OTHER candidates in your party, the #1 party list candidate is an MP. At B500/head, that is a mere B4 million, chickenfeed to the really wealthy. Seats in Thai parliament are bought, and bloody cheaply. The PMship is more expensive, but apparently well worth to those with the means.

In Oz every candidate fronts an electorate, and PMs have lost their seat. Our PMs come from all walks of life, not just the rich and fatuous.

BTW those you revile won the most votes, like it or not. I'm sure you'll will find some excuse to ignore that.

Oh my god, you can't be serious can you ? Ok, people still have to vote for the party. Utter ridiculous comment and you know it.  As to your example, it doesn't work that way anymore, ask the EC how it really works, as no-one outside of that circle seems to know. A bit how a party that won 137 out of 250 constistuencies wasn't awarded even a single party list seat, and 11 mirco parties that no-one voted for were each awarded a seat and magically all of them seem to support the junta !

Pigs fly and more of that,,,,

Let's take your example and apply it to the number 1 on the party list of PTP, was she awarded a seat ? Despite over 8 million votes cast for other candidates ? It seems the one that is misinformed isn't me...

Oh and yes the Junta party won the most votes, even though the party list vote is no longer being cast, they are all constituecy votes. They still didn't win the elections, depsite fielding candidates in 350 constituencies instead of PTP which only was fielding candidates in 250 constituencies. A major electoral win for PTP, despite all the cheating, they are still the biggest party in parliament. They outright won more than half of the constituencies they were fielding candidates in..

But as I stated earlier, people that support junta's seem to have trouble correctly interpreting election results, as you so aptly showed. 

On 5/24/2019 at 6:03 AM, Orton Rd said:

He needs to turn up with 10,000 supporters carrying down with military rule banners

That would likely escalate...which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing!

20 hours ago, Ozman52 said:

Defiance??? He was invited.

He was banned from participation in politics and representation as a member of FFP, as a political move on the part of the goons, who know how popular he will be. This represents total defiance of the hapless army. It does not seem to matter now. The army got it's wish granted, by their bought and paid for cronies:

After that, Mr Chai asked the House secretary-general to read the order of the Constitutional Court for Mr Thanathorn to stop performing his MP duties until the court delivers a ruling. Earlier, the Earlier, the EC asked the court to decide whether Mr Thanathorn was qualified when he applied to run as an because he was holding shares in a media company, a ground for disqualification. It also asked the court to suspend him from performing his MP duties until the ruling is made. The court agreed and Mr Thanathorn now has 15 days to submit a defence. After the order was read, Mr Thanathorn walked up to a microphone amid protests. Mr Chai explained that although he was already an MP, he did not have the right to speak at this stage. 

Mr Thanathorn finally managed to speak. It turned out he simply asked the acting speaker for permission to leave, saying he would stop performing his duty until the court delivered its ruling. Future Forward MPs and those from the anti-regime alliance to which FFP belongs gave him an extended standing ovation as he walked out even as Mr Chai tried to stop them, saying the venue was not a "theatre". 

Outside the auditorium, Mr Thanathorn told reporters that being an MP doesn’t involve only parliamentary work. “I’ll work outside by talking more to people to learn about their problems and convey them to our fellow MPs,” he said. 

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

He was banned from participation in politics and representation as a member of FFP, as a political move on the part of the goons, who know how popular he will be. This represents total defiance of the hapless army. It does not seem to matter now. The army got it's wish granted, by their bought and paid for cronies:

After that, Mr Chai asked the House secretary-general to read the order of the Constitutional Court for Mr Thanathorn to stop performing his MP duties until the court delivers a ruling. Earlier, the Earlier, the EC asked the court to decide whether Mr Thanathorn was qualified when he applied to run as an because he was holding shares in a media company, a ground for disqualification. It also asked the court to suspend him from performing his MP duties until the ruling is made. The court agreed and Mr Thanathorn now has 15 days to submit a defence. After the order was read, Mr Thanathorn walked up to a microphone amid protests. Mr Chai explained that although he was already an MP, he did not have the right to speak at this stage. 

Mr Thanathorn finally managed to speak. It turned out he simply asked the acting speaker for permission to leave, saying he would stop performing his duty until the court delivered its ruling. Future Forward MPs and those from the anti-regime alliance to which FFP belongs gave him an extended standing ovation as he walked out even as Mr Chai tried to stop them, saying the venue was not a "theatre". 

Outside the auditorium, Mr Thanathorn told reporters that being an MP doesn’t involve only parliamentary work. “I’ll work outside by talking more to people to learn about their problems and convey them to our fellow MPs,” he said. 

61702174_10156842617231154_1258217850548518912_n.jpg.30742a02165bd3754ce8e3fc72ee9ad1.jpg

61192955_10156843091256154_4064791567586557952_n.jpg

1 minute ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Apparently there were a lot of stone faced MPs when this happened

What happened was an abomination, and a boil on the face of Thailand. Shame on the people for allowing this charade to be perpetrated by the hapless army. 

Archived