BANGKOK

Hi, may I ask, what is the problem with the router they supplied you.    I am considering 3bb and AIS at the moment to switch over to fiber from VDSL.    Currently with 3bb.

However, I've heard that AIS is presently preferred by many versus 3bb.   Anyone care to share their thoughts as to which provider they think is superior?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimmym40 said:

Hi, may I ask, what is the problem with the router they supplied you.    I am considering 3bb and AIS at the moment to switch over to fiber from VDSL.    Currently with 3bb.

However, I've heard that AIS is presently preferred by many versus 3bb.   Anyone care to share their thoughts as to which provider they think is superior?

Basically the modem/router they give you is a low end device that doesn't have the technical specs to do well with higher speed connections. I just upgraded to a 200/200 connection and, while I know I will never see the tope end in Thailand, I will get closer with a better router. Plus the Asus that I ordered has a lot more features that will allow me to make a more secure connection.

As far as what carrier is better, it is anyones guess. I've been with 3BB for about 6 years and have had very good service with them. 

David

Edited by Genericnic

4 hours ago, Genericnic said:

All they had to do here was run the cable along the same route that the DSL line had been run. Were it not for the fact that the cable is black, you probably wouldn't notice it at all.

David

My existing cabling is all internal though, I.e through the walls. Do they do a cable pull or just whack on black cables externally?

Good question sharktooth.    I would like to know myself.    That's one reason I am delaying ordering anything new from the providers.    Don't like wires lopped around and basically nailed to the concrete wall or drilled holes in  to the inside of the home.

My guess is they will install the wire the easiest way and location possible for them.   

10 hours ago, sharktooth said:

My existing cabling is all internal though, I.e through the walls. Do they do a cable pull or just whack on black cables externally?

I doubt that they would do a cable pull. You could ask them if they do that kind of thing but I doubt they do.

David

3 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

I doubt that they would do a cable pull. You could ask them if they do that kind of thing but I doubt they do.

David

They pulled mine from the outside through the attic to the corner and down the wall to my computer. 

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

They pulled mine from the outside through the attic to the corner and down the wall to my computer. 

More likely in a house than in a condo. No attic here.

David

On 5/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, Genericnic said:

The install was quick and easy. Took the guys about 10 minutes to run the cable and set everything up. Not particularly happy with the router they supplied so I am doing the research for which Asus router can replace it.

David

I don't think that you will be able to replace their router. But you will probably be able to put it into bridge mode and then use your own router. I have the Asus AC86U  and that is what I and many others here have done.

You can search here on TV for threads on this.

5 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I don't think that you will be able to replace their router. But you will probably be able to put it into bridge mode and then use your own router. I have the Asus AC86U  and that is what I and many others here have done.

You can search here on TV for threads on this.

That is what I am going to do. The only difference is I am going with the AC68U instead of the 86U. Asus is way better than the supplied one.

David

16 hours ago, Genericnic said:

That is what I am going to do. The only difference is I am going with the AC68U instead of the 86U. Asus is way better than the supplied one.

David

The 3bb shop sold me a D-link DIR 825 and helped me set it up and gave me a new basic router.