Price of wine in Thailand

jimn

This does remind me of an experience some years ago.  I was shopping in Carrefour.  Now bearing in mind that this supermarket is a French company, imagine my surprise when browsing the wine shelves to find a bottle of 'Beaujolais Nouveau'  on the shelf for 1,000 baht plus!  Ok so far?  However, this bottle of Nouveau was almost 3 years old and was security tagged to stop theft!!

As most people know, Beaujolais Nouveau has a shelf life of around 90 days.  After that it's only good for your chips!!  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I'm also in the UK until next week and been chucking as much red stuff down my neck as possible ranging 4-6 quid a bottle in the faint hope I will end up sick of it.  but alas....????  

Thank god I never ever started drinking alcohol, but I sure know how you wine drinkers feel, I have been buying Irish pork sausages from Villa Market every time I went to Bangkok, the price is up from 190 Bt per packet increased to 290 Bt per packet.

I would bet that like most things, Villa Markets wine is a lot more expensive than the other Western food stores in Bangkok.

49 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Last time from UK I brough a John Bull Country Cider kit, which was basically a can of concentrated apple juice and a packet of yeast. Made 20 litres of wonderful cider, nice and fizzy but strong.

I am currently trying Tesco Apple Juice, which says 100% pure. Got some cider yeast from Thaibrewshop online...99 Bht  a packet, but only need half for 8 litres.

Apple wine from 100% boxes is the easiest of home-made wines to make, but to get a bit of body add a can of 100% grape juice for every 3 gallons. A filter kit is worth its weight in gold.

I'm off to Oz in a couple of weeks will be able to drink decent wines again at a good price 11aud for a 4ltr cask of Stanley's cabernet sauvignon last time I was in Murphy's grog shop.

As a relative newcomer in LOS am I allowed to bring any wine back home with me is there a duty free allowance.

11 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

OK, I get it, imported wine is expensive in Thailand.

So, what do all you experts have to say about making it in Thailand?

Cost effective?

Can make a profit?

Can we make it a business?

There is Thai wine

Bad taste, overpriced because why would you sell it for 150 THB when competitors are 500 up

20 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes it's a drug (legal though) hence they tax it heavily.

Yes , its a drug ,  a drug that Thais dont relish but Farang do and will pay a princes ransom in taxes  to get.

I wonder if the tax is the same with Hong Thong or 285 ?

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Fascinating- ANOTHER 'Wine in Thailand' thread. it's almost as if the search function did not exist.

Yep...... and I have posted many times on those other threads, including where to buy good quality wine at a reasonable price, the pros and cons of the likes of Montclair and so on, yet another thread starts up?

Having said that there may be a valid reason because I have been unable to use the search function to any manageable degree since the recent changes, but then perhaps it's me blundering around the website trying to find what I'm looking for?

39 minutes ago, HHTel said:

As most people know, Beaujolais Nouveau has a shelf life of around 90 days.  After that it's only good for your chips

As a rule, a Beaujolais Nouveau should be drunk up to 6 months of release, although I have drunk some little older and they have been fine.

On your point though, I have seen some everyday Beaujolais Nouveau on sale here, in one or two places on the odd occasion, that mirrors your experience, and I certainly wouldn't like to think what it would be like after a few years in bottle here!

Regarding the Price of Wine in Thailand:

I really do enjoy - (love) - a glass (or three?) of decent wine.

I refuse to buy it here in Thailand at their inflated prices. But -

- if the rate of tax per bottle was dropped then I would start to buy some good wine. The Thai authorities would reap more in tax revenue because more wine would be bought. As it is, the price makes wine a prohibitive luxury item. Drop the expensive price (through reducing tax) and sell more wine and make more money in tax revenue. Geddit???

20 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes it's a drug (legal though) hence they tax it heavily.

Wine is so heavily taxed beacause at the time of the currency crisis in 1997 the government placed a "super luxury" tax/duty of 250% on it. I am told that this has since been increased. The word is that the alcohol monopoly does not want this upstart threatening their tunover.

On the other hand it could be because it is a drug. ????

20 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Foreign nations ought to charge a 400% tariff on Thai rice, shrimp, beer, and auto parts.

It’s about time some countries started to reciprocate the taxes charged on imported goods to Thailand. Of course as usual Thai powers that be do not think of or calculate the number of “ never come back” visitors they lose by way of overpriced and crap tasting wines. Thai wine is disgusting... and cheap.. my brother , my son, and their families have never returned even though they are well off.. the selection and prices of wines and the ban on vaping were the first things they quoted as deciding factors . I do not drink alcohol these days, so I’m not concerned but if, as in the old days, I was a wine lover, I would stay away. As it is the high prices being charged for substandard Farang Food is making me think that maybe this country is past its sell by date for me. 

There is a very good off licence in the town where I live way up here and they have a fine selection of imported wines but most start at 900 B. Over the border I can get a bottle of Hardies red stamp I think it was for 150 B but it is only ok . Like Thai beer I want something to enjoy not just ok because its cold and wet. There .....another rant over.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

After two weeks in the fermenter I usually syphon into a 10 litre glass container, hence only doing 6 litres. Put a Camden tablet in and it stops the fermenting and prevents oxidisation. A week in there and then into the bottles. Mine seems to clear quite nicely itself. Then I store the bottles under the sink for a month if I can wait that long. And a couple of days in the fridge before supping.

It's not Beajolais Nouvea, but it has the desired effect at minimal cost. Makes good Sangria too.

I'm definitely going to give it a burst if and when I can gather all the stuff together. Thanks.

21 hours ago, Momofarang said:

OP you shoudn't drink such shit. In France any wine under 5 Euros ( or 175 Bahts)  a 75ml bottle is undrinkable. Such a bottle would cost you here about 500 Bahts. So if you can't afford 700 Bahts a bottle it is better you stick to beer.

Interestingly wine I bought 3 years ago for that price still costs the same even though some people say that taxes have increased.

Oh no I dont drink it my Thai wife does. I dont know much about wine and am not a wine expert. However over the years I have tasted loads of different red wines. This one is soft smooth and easily compares to the Australian wines you get in Thailand, which was the point of the post, at a fraction of the price. By the way JP Chenet is £5 for a 750ml bottle in the UK, that makes the deal we got very cheap.

Average French wine is just that Average. Only top shelf for me if it's French or Champagne 

of course from Epernay 

Chili, Oz NZ are great & they tell you what you are drinking,,,,, savvy. 

What grape type is a burgundy ?. Even the French don't know

22 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Foreign nations ought to charge a 400% tariff on Thai rice, shrimp, beer, and auto parts.

I suppose they're trying to protect their cheap Charlie beer empire oi ????

Looks like it's Vodka Soda Lime for me @ 80 baht a glass I'm where I want to be after 3 glasses Zzzz 

Archived