Price of wine in Thailand

jimn

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I'm sure there are but be very careful, it's illegal and carries heavy penalties if caught.

For brewing wine and beer for own consumption (no selling) the fine is 200 baht.

If selling, the fine goes up to 5,000 baht with a possible (max) 6 months imprisonment.

Punishment for distilling are much more severe.

Sources: Liquor Act BE 2493

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/illegal-homebrewed-beers-thailand/index.html

http://www.homebrewthailand.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=81

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

After two weeks in the fermenter I usually syphon into a 10 litre glass container, hence only doing 6 litres. Put a Camden tablet in and it stops the fermenting and prevents oxidisation. A week in there and then into the bottles. Mine seems to clear quite nicely itself. Then I store the bottles under the sink for a month if I can wait that long. And a couple of days in the fridge before supping.

It's not Beajolais Nouvea, but it has the desired effect at minimal cost. Makes good Sangria too.

Thanks for the tip mate. I didn't know it was that easy, will give it a try for sure. I think I'll name my first batch Danson's Creek in you honour. 

14 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

For brewing wine and beer for own consumption (no selling) the fine is 200 baht.

If selling, the fine goes up to 5,000 baht with a possible (max) 6 months imprisonment.

Punishment for distilling are much more severe.

Sources: Liquor Act BE 2493

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/illegal-homebrewed-beers-thailand/index.html

http://www.homebrewthailand.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=81

A little out of date mate.

The maximum penalty for "home brewing" under the 1950 Liquor Act used to be 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it. A new law passed by the National Legislative Assembly in December 2016 raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.[8]

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:32 PM, Vacuum said:

Yes it's a drug (legal though) hence they tax it heavily.

I don't actually agree with that. You may be right in classing wine as a 'drug' - many people believe that it is as such. But that is not the reason it is taxed so heavily in Thailand.

The three main beer producers, Chang, Singha and Leo are very rich Thais. They don't want Thai people to enjoy wine as it will impact on the sales of beer, (and Lao Khao, of course).

Over the years I have seen more Thai people drinking wine in restaurants. Tax it heavily and they, together with the foreigners, will revert mostly to the 'mainly' - three available beers,

(Apart from those few who will choose a different beer, ignore the high cost of wines, or other alcoholic drink).

But I could be wrong. Wine doesn't sit easily with Thai food in general, anyway.

17 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I appreciate your correction. Can you give me the title of the "... new law passed by the National Legislative Assembly in December 2016", so that I can look into it further.

My quote was from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Thailand#Craft_beer

That entry refers to the liquor control act of 2008.

Follow the link relating to a brewer facing jail.  I'm not allowed to quote the source, but you know!

You can buy a bottle of Bells scotch whisky here for the same price as a bottle of Montclair crap. I have vowed to never buy wine in Thailand while it is taxed at such ridiculous levels.

auss.png

3 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

That isn't everywhere either, in fact I can't remember seeing it in my vicinity.  Is it fruit wine?

Seems to be available in the larger Tesco Stores and in my local store its 349 baht a bottle, though a little more in the mini Tesco type stores.

It isn't fruit wine, but it is a low-end Australian wine and won't blow your socks off, but at least it wine, is drinkable and goes particularly well with the likes of pizza and pasta.

As far as I can remember the Shiraz was the pick of the bunch, but it's been awhile since I've tasted it now as I can buy much better wines by hunting around locally, and one from JJ McWilliams at 389 baht a bottle is very good indeed.

No need to buy the Montclair or other fruit wine stuff whilst this is around, and if I want something a little special, I simply go and buy it.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:36 PM, mickyr55 said:

I'm off to Oz in a couple of weeks will be able to drink decent wines again at a good price 11aud for a 4ltr cask of Stanley's cabernet sauvignon last time I was in Murphy's grog shop.

As a relative newcomer in LOS am I allowed to bring any wine back home with me is there a duty free allowance.

A one liter bottle.

15 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

The major alcohol corporations ,namely the Singha,Chang and Leos make sure ANY imported alcohol is taxed to the maximum so folk continue to have no option but to drink its “piss water”

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You must not have heard of the deals Thailand has made with Australia and Chile. 

4 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

I know of “trade agreements “ but doesn’t stop price of wine having a tariff! Fact got it ! Good

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement provides Australian wine producers with preferential treatment (with a zero tariff).  I realize you are trying to harm the reputation of Thailand but you should really get your facts straight before launching on a smear campaign.  

I drink Siamsato half soda half sato with a splash of lime over ice...Love it! the soda takes the sweetness away so its like a bubbly white wine.

I even stopped drinking beer at home and now sato only. 35 baht a big bottle. Perfect sparkling  wine replacement when adding soda water

Archived