People eat more on processed foods then unprocessed ones

robblok

I just read an interesting new study though I am a bit mystified by the difference in weight gain and loss.

20 people 10 men and 10 woman were taking into a institute for a month. They could eat as much as they want. They were either for 2 weeks in the processed food group or unprocessed food group. So they were in both groups that is a great study. Its also a great study as they were in a institute so the researchers had total control and knew exactly what the people were eating. 

They found that people who were in the processed group ate 500 calories more then in the unprocessed group. However the people in the processed group gained 1 kg 2 pounds (about what is expected of 500 calories more then unprocessed for two weeks). But the people in the unprocessed group lost around 1 kg. So that is a difference of 2 kg in between the groups. So that probably shows that other things like insulin spikes are at work too. 

The diet was not low carb or anything just shows that low carb is not needed.. just unprocessed food. The study will go on and look at more differences as its not 100% clear yet. Still a real interesting study. 

https://anabolicminds.com/articles/heavily-processed-foods-cause-overeating-and-weight-gain-study-finds-40517/

My opinion is that the combination of processed sugars (carbs) & fats in tandem produce an effect in the body, what that is technically I do not know - however I have a good friend with a phD in a related field and she will come back to me with her thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, eezergood said:

My opinion is that the combination of processed sugars (carbs) & fats in tandem produce an effect in the body, what that is technically I do not know - however I have a good friend with a phD in a related field and she will come back to me with her thoughts. 

Could be an insulin reaction, many things are possible but I guess we all know that processed foods are bad for us. 

20 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Suggestion for modifying the title. 

People eat more processed foods than unprocessed food.

That is true, but what i meant to say is that if someone can eat a meal if its unprocessed more will be eaten then if its processed.

What your modification looks to say that people eat more processed food (in general) than unprocessed food. Not saying my titel is perfect. You might be right but it still does not sound right. Do you understand what I mean ?

4 hours ago, robblok said:

That is true, but what i meant to say is that if someone can eat a meal if its unprocessed more will be eaten then if its processed.

What your modification looks to say that people eat more processed food (in general) than unprocessed food. Not saying my titel is perfect. You might be right but it still does not sound right. Do you understand what I mean ?

I think I understand now. You are suggesting people eat more when they eat processed foods than when they eat unprocessed food and that is perhaps not a good thing. 

3 hours ago, villagefarang said:

I think I understand now. You are suggesting people eat more when they eat processed foods than when they eat unprocessed food and that is perhaps not a good thing. 

Yes that is what the research showed if you click on the link you can read the research (easy read). They offered people unprocessed foods and processed foods... and it showed that people ate more processed foods (calories wise) then unprocessed.

They could eat as much as they wanted and it was measured how much calories. So if left up to their own choice when eating processed food it meant more calories were eaten then when eating unprocessed food.

Difference was around 500 calories a day, however the effect on weight was much more. Maybe because of the fact that unprocessed foods usually spike insulin more leading to more fat on the body. 

Moral of the story if you prepare your own foods you will eat less calories per days then if you buy it all ready made and eat it.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Does flour count as processed food?

How about rolled oats?

Apart from the occasional bottle of Pepsi, some sugar in my tea along with a bit of Soy cooking oil, I'm in the unprocessed section of the population.

Rolled oats not processed flour (you make your own bread) id say not processed as you make it yourself don't add sugars and crap I think.

I am also in the unprocessed food section. Sure I occasional eat bad stuff too but most of the time I dont. 

Archived