British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

There's one thing for certain going by local election results and now the EU results, if the Conservatives don't get us out of the EU (by hook or by crook) they will be history as a political party.

Good riddance. 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

That's the best laugh I've had this week. 'Just in case there are any hold-ups' with no Customs Union alternatives in place and most of Kent becoming a massive lorry park with tailbacks in both directions. I suppose they could fly goods in at inflated prices, though...

Dont worry , the UK can trade with the E.U on WTO terms if we leave with a no deal Brexit and there would just be extra paper work to fill out , there is the possibility that there may be few delays and thats why some supermarkets are getting extra stock in

36 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Maybe now, but not after Brexit, when they'll be competing for supplies. It'll be like the 70's Heath government with fuel rationing and electricity cuts, except it would be over a large range of goods that are just not readily available.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/brexit-no-deal-renewable-energy-nuclear-power-eu-europe-wind-solar-a8735016.html

Wait and see...

Stop scare mongering , heres an article UK's power supplies  nhttps://www.independent.co.uk/environment/brexit-no-deal-renewable-energy-nuclear-power-eu-europe-wind-solar-a8735016.html

Its in your post , if my link doesnt work)

Just now, sanemax said:

Dont worry , the UK can trade with the E.U on WTO terms if we leave with a no deal Brexit and there would just be extra paper work to fill out , there is the possibility that there may be few delays and thats why some supermarkets are getting extra stock in

It's not that simple - and you know it. First of all the EU have to agree on a whole range of goods and services, and how long do you think that'll take? Given the current government negotiating timescale, maybe a limited agreement could be put in place in 6 months, and perhaps medical supplies could be given a fast-track. Everything else is unknown because there is NO PLAN in place. 

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Stop scare mongering , heres an article UK's power supplies  nhttps://www.independent.co.uk/environment/brexit-no-deal-renewable-energy-nuclear-power-eu-europe-wind-solar-a8735016.html

Its in your post , if my link doesnt work)

Ha, ha. You've just shot yourself in the foot by posting that link.

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, he is correct that we've got to get on with this. However his slant is different to mine, in that a no-deal is not a solution. A no confidence vote in the government would break the impasse if Johnson was elected, as a key number of Tory MP's would not support any attempt by Johnson to leave with a no-deal. Then a GE and it's all up for grabs.

I don't think either the tory or labour MPs would be particularly keen on a GE at the moment ????.

Summary

• The UK is electing 73 MEPs from across 12 regions - 10 have so far declared
  • The Brexit Party have 28 MEPs winning 32% of the vote and are largest party in 9 regions
  • The Lib Dems topped the poll in London and have won 15 MEPs, gaining 14
  • The Conservatives have just 3 MEPs, down 15 and are in 5th place
  • Labour have 10 MEPs, down 8 and their vote share has fallen by 11 percentage points
  • The Green Party have won 7 MEPs, up 4
  • In Scotland the SNP is forecast to win 3 MEPs, Brexit Party 1, Lib Dems 1 and Conservatives 1
  • The Brexit Party dominated in Wales, with Plaid Cymru second
  • Counting to determine the results in Northern Ireland will begin at 08:00

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-48417378

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

There's one thing for certain going by local election results and now the EU results, if the Conservatives don't get us out of the EU (by hook or by crook) they will be history as a political party.

They're toast. This (relatively slow) revolution is already underway and cannot be stopped. By the time it has finished UK can expect (in addition to being out of the EU) :

- Two new Parliaments (British and English, the latter being the only country in Europe without their own)

- Votes for life regardless of geographic location; tied to our NI numbers

- PR to have replaced FPTP which in turn will render two party domination obsolete.

The sooner they get on with it the better ????

42 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

That's the best laugh I've had this week. 'Just in case there are any hold-ups' with no Customs Union alternatives in place and most of Kent becoming a massive lorry park with tailbacks in both directions. I suppose they could fly goods in at inflated prices, though...

"I suppose they could fly goods in at inflated prices, though.."

Inflated prices above and beyond those the consumer is already paying as a result of the eu CAP policy?

13 hours ago, david555 said:

If you like I can also completely change your posts like you changed this mine complete ,

….. but I think that is in breach of  forum rules !! :1zgarz5:

Actually if you took the time to read my post, I was responding to Sanemax and not you. I was going to reply but I inadvertently added your post to the one for Sanemax, hence my apology to you.

Are you a moderator? If you are then you can tell me off. If you are not and still feel offended then report the post.

What YOU think is a breach of the rules, I don't.

9 minutes ago, evadgib said:

They're toast. This (relatively slow) revolution is already underway and cannot be stopped. By the time it has finished UK can expect (in addition to being out of the EU) :

- Two new Parliaments (British and English, the latter being the only country in Europe without their own)

- Votes for life regardless of geographic location; tied to our NI numbers

- PR to have replaced FPTP which in turn will render two party domination obsolete.

The sooner they get on with it the better ????

I wish I was as confident that this will be the case.

Sadly, I'm obviously far more cynical than you.

30 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

It's not that simple - and you know it. First of all the EU have to agree on a whole range of goods and services, and how long do you think that'll take? Given the current government negotiating timescale, maybe a limited agreement could be put in place in 6 months, and perhaps medical supplies could be given a fast-track. Everything else is unknhttps://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45112872own because there is NO PLAN in place. 

No, https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45112872the UK and the E.U would automatically fall back to the WTO trading rules and there are indeed already plans in place .

Have another link and stop worrying

Links up there , my C&P is malfunctioning 

Load of rubbish. A trade agreement is exactly that. And you can bet your bottom dollar that new trade agreements don't just materialise the day after Brexit - it takes the USA at least 2 years to reach an agreement, and a further year to implement it. It would be the same or worse for the UK, especially Japan and S Korea..

However, I do understand that existing agreements at the same tariffs with some other countries would continue post Brexit without needing to enter into a new agreement, which brings me back to my original question, what's the point?  

The point is that the UK on its own can make its own trade agreements with countries that are will to trade with us and the UK does not need to get an agreement with perhaps 27 other countries permission.

After Brexit the UK will still be trading with the EU, IF they want to trade and can set its own tariffs without EU permission.

It is simply not factual that MPs are mostly remainers. What they have been elected to do is to represent their constituency as what would benefit Britain. And a no-deal Brexit won't.  As they are all aware, jumping off a cliff edge like Farage's supporters without any plan is not the way forward.

Taunton Deane, which is where my proxy vote goes to, voted for Brexit in the referendum. Rebecca Pow is the Tory MP and is a Remainer and has always voted in parliament that way even though her constituents voted to leave. Who or what gives her the right to ignore her constituents wishes?

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

We will be leaving and taking our money with you. I am sure you can fill the EU gap with some of the "stans'. Good luck with that. seems other countries want out to. Rats and sinking ship come to mind. Nothing more pathetic that the EU threading countries saying look how hard it is to leave What a great club to be in. Reminiscent of the old German party in the 1930's.

Just clean the mirror when watching your own image , nobody stop you from leaving unless your own political mess.

Whose responsibility is it to prepare for a no deal Brexit? How about the Tory government who have managed to screw up Brexit in the last three years.

You can lay the responsibility at the feet of Teresa May and her merry little band. Nobody else. 

50 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Don't be concerned. That won't happen, according to one newly elected Liberal MEP. It's typical of the media to quote anything that is contentious. And one-sided. As usual.

Please try to understand that an MEP works within the EU and has no voice in the UK parliament.

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Just clean the mirror when watching your own image , nobody stop you from leaving unless your own political mess.

You sound like Eric Cantona to reporters talking about seagulls. You obviously are not understanding who is stopping who from leaving the EU from a UK point of view. Maybe a refresher research on what has happened?

Anyway talk as cryptic as you want the UK in the EU elections just spoken. I believe some other countries have too. Your beloved EU will not be the same and is on course for a bloody nose.

On a European election night when the Brexit party dominated across the UK, perhaps the most eye-catching story in North West England was the humiliating drubbing suffered by the anti-Islam activist Tommy Robinson.

Having claimed for weeks to be on the crest of an international movement – one that elected Donald Trump in the US – the man whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon had expected to “walk into Brussels like Connor McGregor” upon his election.

In the end, Robinson won only 2.2% of the vote – losing his £5,000 deposit – and snuck out of the election count in central Manchester barely an hour after he arrived. He tried to put a brave face on it, claiming the establishment had “arranged and organised” for him to be banned from social media to scupper his election bid, but it was a resounding defeat for the founder of the English Defence League.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/27/humiliated-tommy-robinson-sneaks-out-of-election-count-early

For those who may wonder what happened to Tommy...????

Waste of space   ...on the ballot paper.

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

For those who may wonder what happened to Tommy...????

Waste of space   ...on the ballot paper.

No brexiteer cares what happens to him it seems only remainers like to bring it up to justify some little insignificant point. Whatever that is. It just makes those who bring him up pretty sad and weak in an argument. Next we will be hearing how Nigel Farage is applying for a German passport or JRM has companies in Ireland. all pretty pointless to the fact.

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Actually if you took the time to read my post, I was responding to Sanemax and not you. I was going to reply but I inadvertently added your post to the one for Sanemax, hence my apology to you.

Are you a moderator? If you are then you can tell me off. If you are not and still feel offended then report the post.

What YOU think is a breach of the rules, I don't.

Even when replying to Sanemax my post in it was totally changed .

I have no problem with commenting , laughing or even ridiculing any post of mine , sharp or friendly .,as long my line is not changed .And no I am not a moderator , but know that it is not allowed to change someone post , on a pother forum I was even just warned by a moderator  because I put my own understanding about a newspaper topic in my own wording ,but not exact the same original wording as article ….. hence from that moment I just copy pasted articles ….problem solved .

Oh... yes that was of course in a Brexit article …. frustrated Brit probably :wink:
BTW congratulations for Farage … I hope I can take you out , as so we ( E.U.) can go on whiteout that Brexit dragging farce in the E.U..

if it was only by mistake , disregard my comment on it , but so you think that I example can under you name put/change any other line just like it is you said it (when not )…?

I never report , highest use ignore button if available , I think the moderators do their job correct, so if allowed …. let have some fun :tongue: 

Wishing it was Halloween already 

13 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You sound like Eric Cantona to reporters talking about seagulls. You obviously are not understanding who is stopping who from leaving the EU from a UK point of view. Maybe a refresher research on what has happened?

Anyway talk as cryptic as you want the UK in the EU elections just spoken. I believe some other countries have too. Your beloved EU will not be the same and is on course for a bloody nose.

My only wish is Halloween come fast and hoping for you U.K. would not be the same also as yesterday' mess 

23 minutes ago, Basil B said:

_107119627_brexit_pos-nc.thumb.png.84479bbdc5e82d0b2661cf41ba0fa4d9.png

Tories and Labour are leave parties or still were at the last election and manifesto. It would seem you are using remainer mathematics and statistics which usually tries to convince people that remainers won. How convenient you pool the anti brexit parties together but not pro brexit. I could say shameless but really it just makes you look desperate.

The Conservative Party leadership race is well under way with eight MPs having officially announced their candidacy.

So how did the party fare in each of those candidates' local areas?

Michael Gove: In Surrey Heath the Conservatives came third with 13% behind The Brexit Party (38%) and the Lib Dems (26%).

Matt Hancock: In the last election, the voters of West Suffolk voted for UKIP. This time they voted for The Brexit Party (40%) - followed by the Lib Dems (18%), then the Greens (14%) and then the Conservatives (13%).

Jeremy Hunt: The Liberal Democrats won 35% in Waverley Borough Council pushing the Conservatives into fourth place (12%).

Boris Johnson: Another fourth place finish for the Tories in Hillingdon (12%).

Andrea Leadsom: In South Northamptonshire, the Conservative vote share fell by 23% leaving them on 15%, third behind The Brexit Party (36%) and the Lib Dems (22%).

Esther McVey: Fourth again for the Conservatives (11%), this time in Cheshire East, where the Brexit Party won 34% of the vote share.

Dominic Raab: The Conservative vote share fell by 31% leaving them on 12%, third behind the Liberal Democrats (39%) and The Brexit Party (28%).

Rory Stewart: Strong performances by The Brexit Party, the Lib Dems and the Greens pushed the Conservatives into fourth place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-48417378

8 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

For once we agree.

I will then wait for Frexit, Grexit and any other, to see the fraudulent, fascist EU sink.

Oh about leaving a agree , if I would be still living in Brussels I would even be prepared to help U.K. staff packing boxes:clap2: , it was only 4 months I was regretting U.K. leaving after A50 , but soon I saw the brexiteers way of thinking credo and I understood they only would change mind after feeling the result of a for filled Brexit ….. feel sad what you do to the 48% compatriots 

Ps: I think before frexit Grexit or other exit The Scotts shall exit your union , would not be surprised Ni would finnaly follow 

cheers 

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Tories and Labour are leave parties or still were at the last election and manifesto. It would seem you are using remainer mathematics and statistics which usually tries to convince people that remainers won. How convenient you pool the anti brexit parties together but not pro brexit. I could say shameless but really it just makes you look desperate.

Both Tories and Labour party MP's are divided on Brexit... and their voting history shows that their Party manifesto's just a waste of paper.

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Oh about leaving a agree , if I would be still living in Brussels I would even be prepared to help U.K. staff packing boxes:clap2: , it was only 4 months I was regretting U.K. leaving after A50 , but soon I saw the brexiteers way of thinking credo and I understood they only would change mind after feeling the result of a for filled Brexit ….. feel sad what you do to the 48% compatriots

I pity you and all the others that can see past their noses on what the EU is all about and let continue to do. It isn't the UK's fault that the rest of Europe are either ignorant to let it happen or too greedy to keep taking handouts. Some have had referendums and their results ignored. Luckily the UK people had a binary vote and the leave won. That is what happens in a binary vote.  There is a winner and someone who comes second. Most people accept it. It is life.

What

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Both Tories and Labour party MP's are divided on Brexit... and their voting history shows that their Party manifesto's just a waste of paper.

More than 61% Labour constituents voted leave. 75% Tories. That was only 3 years ago. You will be telling me that those voters are dead now.

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-majority-conservative-and-labour-constituencies-vote-leave-eu-referendum/

Archived