British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well that was inevitable. Will be interesting to see who is next to land in the hot seat and what difference they make, to the Brexit divorce process. Given the depth of the internal disagreement within parties, the position could be considered akin to a poisoned chalice.

Reluctantly, I've had to agree that a very left wing Labour party is simply not electable, yet it seems that the same may now be said of the Tories, for opposite reasons obviously. If the Tories shift a little to the centre then they lose their core support.  A split is inevitable imo.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, billd766 said:

How do you know that he will be the new PM?

The old one has not left yet and there may well be more than one contender.

Don't you think he will get the gig, then? If not, who is your money on?

17 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Reluctantly, I've had to agree that a very left wing Labour party is simply not electable, yet it seems that the same may now be said of the Tories, for opposite reasons obviously. If the Tories shift a little to the centre then they lose their core support.  A split is inevitable imo.

Agreed. The Tories have now become the looney Tories and labour under Corbyn have remained looney labour had an opportunity to appeal to the majority by ditching Corbyn and supporting a second referendum. So far they have not taken that opportunity so the Brexit nutcases are running around like lemmings following Farage. No wonder the UK is now the laughing stock of the world .

46 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Lord! About time. Why not today? Why June 7th? Resign Now! Go, in God's name, go now!

Trump is paying an official state visit beginning of June, the Uk has got to have a PM to welcome him, good job it is not in July, can you visualise BJ as PM talking to Trump, oh to be a fly on the wall.

She will be remembered, whether in a good light or not depends on who follows.

In her defense she was given an impossible task (Maybe John Wick could have pulled it off) but the prosecution would say she was an appalling Home Secretary & should never have been PM.

I agree with the latter... But nobody else would stand up at the time & (IMHO) were waiting until things couldn't get much worse before playing their hand... 

£600,000.annually..crying all the way to the bank..boohoo..poor teresa [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am always surprised that there are still people out there who want that job. Why? Best case the new PM somehow manages a half acceptable Brexit but even then half the population will be unhappy. It's a lose lose job. And some people still want it...

The good thing about this is, it ensures that:

1. Brexiteers will get excited while nothing will change; 

2. We will have more fun with the Brexit shytshow. It really got a bit boring lately. 

Just please no second referendum, that would mean the shytshow ends and instead of Brexiteers making a fool of themselves for us to laugh (“maybe we have left the EU already” anyone?) we would have them back in the EU. 

Hopefully article 50 will be revoked for the sake of the country and everyone in it.
We are not all racist bigots.
Only a hard-core right-wing rump in parliament and in the Conservative Party favour a no deal Brexit. It won't happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Agreed. The Tories have now become the looney Tories and labour under Corbyn have remained looney labour had an opportunity to appeal to the majority by ditching Corbyn and supporting a second referendum. So far they have not taken that opportunity so the Brexit nutcases are running around like lemmings following Farage. No wonder the UK is now the laughing stock of the world .

What Churchill described as 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory', though perhaps Corbyn fears the same sort of meltdown that is about to afflict the Tories- to side with one wing is to lose the other.  Brexit could be the undoing of both major parties.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

What Churchill described as 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory', though perhaps Corbyn fears the same sort of meltdown that is about to afflict the Tories- to side with one wing is to lose the other.  Brexit could be the undoing of both major parties.

It could indeed and that should be cause for concern for the nation. It could open up the window of opportunity for racists like Farage and/or others purely taking the opportunity with the main long term intent on wrecking the UK's competitiveness or attraction as a moderate and peaceful society.

Her successor - whoever - won't be able to square the several circles any more than she could.

Shooting at feet will recommence 8 June. Following the Biblical injunction: Let she who is without shin cast the first bone.

9 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

It could indeed and that should be cause for concern for the nation. It could open up the window of opportunity for racists like Farage and/or others purely taking the opportunity with the main long term intent on wrecking the UK's competitiveness or attraction as a moderate and peaceful society.

Fyi , Nigel is on the square , racist ?  , no muslims allowed .

11 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

If she had done what the majority of the country wanted and left on the 29th of March, as she said over a hundred times, with a WTO deal, she would still be in a job

MPs including her own party voted against it.

Not her fault.

21 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

If she had done what the majority of the country wanted and left on the 29th of March, as she said over a hundred times, with a WTO deal, she would still be in a job

What the country wants is not decided by Hard Brexiteer spin.

28 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Only a hard-core right-wing rump in parliament and in the Conservative Party favour a no deal Brexit. It won't happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We all can only hope that you are correct.

The right wing extremists cannot prevail.

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Don't you think he will get the gig, then? If not, who is your money on?

It does seem that Boris is a shoe in for the job. But i have a question. If Boris is the self-serving, unprincipled man that he appears to be, why would he put himself up for the job now; given the stalemate there is in Parliament and with the EU not budging? Would a man with his ego let himself in for faffing around for 6 months, following a similar course to May, in all likelihood that nothing changes and he gets booted out as another failure PM? 

I suspect he (or more likely his advisers) have a dramatic change of plan in mind, otherwise I don't think he'd go for the top job right now. 

Just listened to her crappy resignation speech and her desperate attempts to leave with her head held high.

Sorry, but no. Left or Right wing as one may be, pro-Brexit or Remainer. She was simply sh!te and an abject failure in any high office. She deserves to be kicked out like a dog in the night and good riddance.

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

That is what having the right to ones own opinion is .  You have yours and I and others have ours. No need for a singular implied reply. Unless it was intend as a baiting response ?

But you think it's fine to label those who oppose your view as nutcases, morons etc.? 

Archived