British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

6 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It does seem that Boris is a shoe in for the job. But i have a question. If Boris is the self-serving, unprincipled man that he appears to be, why would he put himself up for the job now; given the stalemate there is in Parliament and with the EU not budging? Would a man with his ego let himself in for faffing around for 6 months, following a similar course to May, in all likelihood that nothing changes and he gets booted out as another failure PM? 

I suspect he (or more likely his advisers) have a dramatic change of plan in mind, otherwise I don't think he'd go for the top job right now. 

Maybe just for the ego value? 'Former Prime Minister of the UK' he could cash in on too. 

I doubt he has a masterplan to actually rescue us from this Brexit mess he was so instrumental in creating. 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It does seem that Boris is a shoe in for the job. But i have a question. If Boris is the self-serving, unprincipled man that he appears to be, why would he put himself up for the job now; given the stalemate there is in Parliament and with the EU not budging? Would a man with his ego let himself in for faffing around for 6 months, following a similar course to May, in all likelihood that nothing changes and he gets booted out as another failure PM? 

I suspect he (or more likely his advisers) have a dramatic change of plan in mind, otherwise I don't think he'd go for the top job right now. 

Come off it! Boris Johnson thinks he's the reincarnated Churchill, with a God given right to lead the nation ... he'd sell his sister into prostitution to get his hands on that job. 

The problem is that he has no plan, no idea what to do once he gets the job. He's a guy who has been "winging it" all his life ... and he's too old to change.

6 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Come off it! Boris Johnson thinks he's the reincarnated Churchill, with a God given right to lead the nation ... he'd sell his sister into prostitution to get his hands on that job. 

The problem is that he has no plan, no idea what to do once he gets the job. He's a guy who has been "winging it" all his life ... and he's too old to change.

But he pulled out of the leadership race in 2016. 

I'm no Boris fan, and I agree with you that he's clueless as to what to do if / when he gets the PM job. But I reckon he'll surround himself with people who can do a good job. That's what most successful bosses do! 

7 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

He might just announce: “I will leave without a deal if you make me PM.” That way, he could bounce off the responsibility of a hard Brexit to his party. Then he’ll just run down the clock and be the clown he is. 

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Fair enough, but why? Parliament has already said that they will not countenance a 'No Deal', so how is the deadlock broken, then? In the real world, that is?

When the E.U. does not longer extend ...your U.K. deadlock is dissolved ,decided ,ended !

35 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You might ask him why he has already announced that he is a candidate then.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. As for BJ, I hear the song "Send in the clowns". What was the point of the Referendum if the majority in Parliament just decided to ignore the result. I voted to remain as I felt it would be the best decision for my grandchildren's future. what a complete farce!

6 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

He might just announce: “I will leave without a deal if you make me PM.” That way, he could bounce off the responsibility of a hard Brexit to his party. Then he’ll just run down the clock and be the clown he is. 

Probably not a good idea for you to be his agent.

Just now, peterpaintpot said:

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. As for BJ, I hear the song "Send in the clowns". What was the point of the Referendum if the majority in Parliament just decided to ignore the result. I voted to remain as I felt it would be the best decision for my grandchildren's future. what a complete farce!

No they didn't.

38 minutes ago, baboon said:

Just listened to her crappy resignation speech and her desperate attempts to leave with her head held high.

Sorry, but no. Left or Right wing as one may be, pro-Brexit or Remainer. She was simply sh!te and an abject failure in any high office. She deserves to be kicked out like a dog in the night and good riddance.

I don't have occasion to 'lije' many of your posts Baboon, but I certainly could not have put it better myself.

Loathed on all sides - not idealogically, but purely on grounds of incompetence.

7 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I agree with your post. I can't stand Johnson. But I think that maybe you could refrain from "Boris Johnson thinks..." 

'The Left think... The Right think...' Thinking what others are thinking and stating it as a fact is leading us down this path of polarisation and hatred of 'The Other'. This is what we are all now encouraged to do: Be feartful. Hate. Brought to us by the human manure who seek to profit handsomely by turning us against one another. 

17 minutes ago, david555 said:

When the E.U. does not longer extend ...your U.K. deadlock is dissolved ,decided ,ended !

The EU is a Grand Project with (I hope), patience. Look at their difficulties with Poland and Hungary. Will you cast the UK adrift when half of us wish to remain in the Union? 

7 minutes ago, baboon said:

The EU is a Grand Project with (I hope), patience. Look at their difficulties with Poland and Hungary. Will you cast the UK adrift when half of us wish to remain in the Union? 

From the moment the E.U. stop extending , the U.K. shall wonder o wonder unite in taking measures to economically survive  …. as no other choice than to do so !

Compare it like when the cardinals in the Vatican get locked in when must choose a new pope ????

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

From the moment the E.U. stop extending , the U.K. shall wonder o wonder unite in taking measures to economically survive  …. as no other choice than to do so !

No. That makes you sound like a bullyboy and gives ammunition to the Far Right extremists in their quest to end the whole EU project. And the Far Right is not in short supply in Europe right now.

This is not the time for 'Ha Ha! We have you by the balls!'

28 minutes ago, baboon said:

No. That makes you sound like a bullyboy and gives ammunition to the Far Right extremists in their quest to end the whole EU project. And the Far Right is not in short supply in Europe right now.

This is not the time for 'Ha Ha! We have you by the balls!'

you can not expect that patience is forever , the enigma is on the U.K. side , nothing the E.U. can change to that unless giving in on their basic principals , time to be shaken up …, first 4 months I regret the leaving from the U.K. member , but very soon seeing the rhetoric I started to understand that a happy divorce just like in real life is not possible & a " fairy tail ".:whistling:

Sorry for the remainders , but the leave camp shall only understand their mistake by feeling it to understand by happening to them..., the quicker they come back with hanging tail ! 

Compare it when as a toddler mamma warn not to play with matches ,as dangerous …..I almost started to burn the house , so I knew then ( played fire brigade with success anyway ..:thumbsup:)

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

you can not expect that patience is forever , the enigma is on the U.K. side , nothing the E.U. can change to that unless giving in on their basic principals , time to be shaken up …, first 4 months I regret the leaving from the U.K. member , but very soon seeing the rhetoric I started to understand that a happy divorce just like in real life is not possible & a " fairy tail ".:whistling:

Sorry for the remainders , but the leave camp shall only understand their mistake by feeling it to understand by happening to them..., the quicker they come back with hanging tail ! 

Compare it when as a toddler mamma warn not to play with matches ,as dangerous …..I almost started to burn the house , so I knew then ( played fire brigade with success anyway ..:thumbsup:)

You are making a huge mistake. Do you really belive that the Ultra Leavers will ever admit a mistake? They would rather we sold cabbages to one another and celebrate our 'Sovereignty'.

Meanwhile real people suffer. The EU can do without a rogue nation with nukes on their doorstep.

This isn't a point scoring exercise. This is a crisis with real ramifications in Europe. Not Iran, not North Korea, but Europe.

15 minutes ago, baboon said:

You are making a huge mistake. Do you really belive that the Ultra Leavers will ever admit a mistake? They would rather we sold cabbages to one another and celebrate our 'Sovereignty'.

Meanwhile real people suffer. The EU can do without a rogue nation with nukes on their doorstep.

This isn't a point scoring exercise. This is a crisis with real ramifications in Europe. Not Iran, not North Korea, but Europe.

so do you have another solution …? It seems you are more desperate than me in thinking , nukes ,... France also have nukes .

The moment is coming very near the decision shall be taken from E.U. to waive you out !

Remember the E.U. did not started Brexit , we are undergoing it against our will  , with all the nasty predictions from Leavers that we go  implode , go bankrupt and whatever more ..

nothing we can do as only giving in , go flat belly …..please don't let me laugh , that will never happen as others it would be done a long time ago already .

It is up to the U.K. to find for themselves a solution , not to us , we have no say in that politic mess your own people created . I hope you understand that as a sovereign nation you are , and like to become even more .

The Scotts shall leave no doubt , if things keep same as now for sure , the U.K. is now like a dog chasing rounds and biting his own tail 

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:
2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You might ask him why he has already announced that he is a candidate then.

Strange comment - how can I possibly ask him? 

2 hours ago, baboon said:

I agree with your post. I can't stand Johnson. But I think that maybe you could refrain from "Boris Johnson thinks..." 

'The Left think... The Right think...' Thinking what others are thinking and stating it as a fact is leading us down this path of polarisation and hatred of 'The Other'. This is what we are all now encouraged to do: Be feartful. Hate. Brought to us by the human manure who seek to profit handsomely by turning us against one another. 

Well put.

Sometimes it's the counterintuitive that saves the day. Like Nixon to China. What if Boris wins and cannot get a package to leave passed? Could he call another referendum thinking it will again be a Leave win. Only to be shoot down by a smartened up Brit public.

Brexit Dilemma

Anyone who wants to win the Cons leadership election has to say no to an extension and yes to no deal.

But the PM that exits without a deal will not win the next general election.

10 minutes ago, tebee said:

Brexit Dilemma

Anyone who wants to win the Cons leadership election has to say no to an extension and yes to no deal.

But the PM that exits without a deal will not win the next general election.

I think that is rubbish.

There will be factors other than Brexit that wii determine the outcome of the next election. 

For example, Labour’s inability to take advantage of a lame duck government. 

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I think that is rubbish.

There will be factors other than Brexit that wii determine the outcome of the next election. 

For example, Labour’s inability to take advantage of a lame duck government. 

City analysts today saying a "no deal" Brexit will leave the pound crushed, and the inflation that follows will push the UK into recession ... and that's just for starters, the disruption and EU legal challenges that follow will add to the mix ... all Corbyn has to do is sit back and watch the mess unfold. Add to that Farage splitting the Tory vote and it's looking more and more likely that Corbyn is a shoe-in. And God help us all.

You thought you were getting Singapore, and you'll end up with Venezuela.

Having listened to a lot of today's discussions, I'm now able to clarify something that has confused a lot of people, myself included. The questions:

1. If a Brexiteer PM is installed (presumably Boris), how can they talk about a no deal exit when there is not the parliamentary arithmetic to support no deal?

2. Can Parliament stop the PM from sitting on his/her hands and running down the clock to 31st Oct?

As I now understand it, Theresa May chose to have that series of votes in Parliament about blocking no deal, 2nd ref etc. She didn't need to do that. 

Also when Parliament then voted for the UK to apply for an extension, apparently that was not a binding vote so May was not obliged to take that to the EU. 

So in other words it seems if a true Brexiteer becomes PM and says that our default position is no deal, we will leave with no deal on 31st Oct unless something better is negotiated. 

Unless I'm wrong that's very bad news for remainers! 

7 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Having listened to a lot of today's discussions, I'm now able to clarify something that has confused a lot of people, myself included. The questions:

1. If a Brexiteer PM is installed (presumably Boris), how can they talk about a no deal exit when there is not the parliamentary arithmetic to support no deal?

2. Can Parliament stop the PM from sitting on his/her hands and running down the clock to 31st Oct?

As I now understand it, Theresa May chose to have that series of votes in Parliament about blocking no deal, 2nd ref etc. She didn't need to do that. 

Also when Parliament then voted for the UK to apply for an extension, apparently that was not a binding vote so May was not obliged to take that to the EU. 

So in other words it seems if a true Brexiteer becomes PM and says that our default position is no deal, we will leave with no deal on 31st Oct unless something better is negotiated. 

parliament can always call a vote of no confidence if they don't like what the PM is doing 

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Corbyn can call for a no confidence vote in the government, and there are many Tory MP's that will vote against their own government rather than allow a "no deal" Brexit to happen. That means a "snap" General Election and no more Tory government. It's not as straightforward as you think. I think we are looking at a referendum ... remain or no deal. It's the only way of avoiding a GE.

Archived