British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, tebee said:

parliament can always call a vote of no confidence if they don't like what the PM is doing 

And does this trigger a general election , or just another person to become PM ?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, david555 said:

And does this trigger a general election , or just another person to become PM ?

If a confidence motion is lost then the Government is obliged to resign or seek a dissolution of Parliament and call a General Election. Although this is a convention, there is no law which requires that the Government resigns. However, it is very unlikely that one would not as such event would most probably cause uproar if it were to occur. Modern practice shows dissolution rather than resignation to be the result of a defeat. The government is only obliged to resign if it loses a confidence vote, although a significant defeat on a major issue may lead to a confidence motion.

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

If a confidence motion is lost then the Government is obliged to resign or seek a dissolution of Parliament and call a General Election. Although this is a convention, there is no law which requires that the Government resigns. However, it is very unlikely that one would not as such event would most probably cause uproar if it were to occur. Modern practice shows dissolution rather than resignation to be the result of a defeat. The government is only obliged to resign if it loses a confidence vote, although a significant defeat on a major issue may lead to a confidence motion.

Fair point, but I don't know if those remainer Tory rebels would vote against their own government in a no confidence vote, potentially letting in a Corbyn Labour government. Would they let in Corbyn or bite the bullet? I don't know. 

45 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

City analysts today saying a "no deal" Brexit will leave the pound crushed, and the inflation that follows will push the UK into recession ... and that's just for starters, the disruption and EU legal challenges that follow will add to the mix ... all Corbyn has to do is sit back and watch the mess unfold. Add to that Farage splitting the Tory vote and it's looking more and more likely that Corbyn is a shoe-in. And God help us all.

You thought you were getting Singapore, and you'll end up with Venezuela.

I would start to be concerned if Corbyn was replaced.

5 hours ago, fishtank said:

Hopefully article 50 will be revoked for the sake of the country and everyone in it.

We are not all racist bigots.

No we are just a bunch of sore losing whiners who will do anything to upset a democratic vote!

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

No we are just a bunch of sore losing whiners who will do anything to upset a democratic vote!

No one campaigned for a no deal Brexit, that form of exit has no mandate. If that’s what a new leader wants to do then he or she has to demonstrate they have support for it ... by a second referendum ... remain or no deal.

Come off it! Boris Johnson thinks he's the reincarnated Churchill, with a God given right to lead the nation ... he'd sell his sister into prostitution to get his hands on that job. 

The problem is that he has no plan, no idea what to do once he gets the job. He's a guy who has been "winging it" all his life ... and he's too old to change.

That's exactly what's needed..a right winger to carve up a stuffy defence[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The EU is a Grand Project with (I hope), patience. Look at their difficulties with Poland and Hungary. Will you cast the UK adrift when half of us wish to remain in the Union? 
Countless millions of British people do not want to give up their Sovereignty..they do not want to be part of a united states of europe..which would be ran by unelected bureaucrats.tapatalk_1557838152264.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I had a self imposed months exile from these threads and I can see little has changed.

Many remainers still calling brexiteers stupid.

People still trying to discredit Nigel Farage. How stupid they are as many on here were saying he and his Brexit party was a non starter. Seems like the way they judge the UK's anger towards the EU and wanting to leave the EU, they have it wrong... again.

Same with Boris Johnson.

Junker only then other day stating it shows how difficult it is now to leave the EU. What a great club to be in!!!!!

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

City analysts today saying a "no deal" Brexit will leave the pound crushed, and the inflation that follows will push the UK into recession ... and that's just for starters, the disruption and EU legal challenges that follow will add to the mix ... all Corbyn has to do is sit back and watch the mess unfold. Add to that Farage splitting the Tory vote and it's looking more and more likely that Corbyn is a shoe-in. And God help us all.

You thought you were getting Singapore, and you'll end up with Venezuela.

That same old rhetoric from the city analysis that we have been hearing for 3 years. Talk about cry wolf. Even those who have an intellect realise they along with mark carney and the IMF have been talking rollocks for years and they are the mouthpiece of the EU, wanting more integration and control.

The EU make me laugh complaining about populism. Yes people who are following popular policies. Democracy in action. What is the opposite of that Fascism the EU way.

8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Come off it! Boris Johnson thinks he's the reincarnated Churchill, with a God given right to lead the nation ... he'd sell his sister into prostitution to get his hands on that job. 

I guess that what you think or do you have any substance to your wild accusations.

9 hours ago, bartender100 said:

If she had done what the majority of the country wanted and left on the 29th of March, as she said over a hundred times, with a WTO deal, she would still be in a job

Totally agree but as  I have said for a few years she was a remainer, didn't believe in Brexit and did a great job for the EU. You could speculate that she was an EU plant.

1 minute ago, adammike said:

Not all the British people who want to leave the EU are racist bigots but all the racist bigots want to leave the EU.

I have to say that is absolute rubbish. So wanting to stay in the EU makes you a racist bigot? Of course not as leaving the EU doesn't. Typical name calling from children not liking other peoples opinions. Isn't that racist bigotry. How ironic.

4 hours ago, david555 said:

I think only the leader of the opposition can call a vote of no confidence in the government and convention means they should call a general election.Then there is a vote of no confidence in the PM that's called by members of their own party, if they lose they quit.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I have to say that is absolute rubbish. So wanting to stay in the EU makes you a racist bigot? Of course not as leaving the EU doesn't. Typical name calling from children not liking other peoples opinions. Isn't that racist bigotry. How ironic.

It's called a piss take.

8 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Totally agree but as  I have said for a few years she was a remainer, didn't believe in Brexit and did a great job for the EU. You could speculate that she was an EU plant.

EU plants and Hard Brexiteer vegetables.

Read his post again. That is not what he wrote.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Having listened to a lot of today's discussions, I'm now able to clarify something that has confused a lot of people, myself included. The questions:

1. If a Brexiteer PM is installed (presumably Boris), how can they talk about a no deal exit when there is not the parliamentary arithmetic to support no deal?

2. Can Parliament stop the PM from sitting on his/her hands and running down the clock to 31st Oct?

As I now understand it, Theresa May chose to have that series of votes in Parliament about blocking no deal, 2nd ref etc. She didn't need to do that. 

Also when Parliament then voted for the UK to apply for an extension, apparently that was not a binding vote so May was not obliged to take that to the EU. 

So in other words it seems if a true Brexiteer becomes PM and says that our default position is no deal, we will leave with no deal on 31st Oct unless something better is negotiated.  

Unless I'm wrong that's very bad news for remainers!  

It's actually bad news for the entire UK.

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Complete and utter horse manure. 

Which bit? all looks great to me

Instantly a great sovereign nation again - World’s 5th largest economy

Control of borders – no more freedom of movement into UK, wages will rise

Laws made in Parliament again, by elected MPs, in British interests – not imposed

Money

No more multi-billion annual payments to subsidise EU countries

No £40bn+ divorce payment – Money saved can be spent in the UK

Food and clothing imports without punitive EU tariffs – everyday costs will be slashed

VAT cut on many products, putting pounds in people’s pockets, boosting the economy

And more

Able to trade freely and fairly with the fastest-growing countries around the world

Northern Ireland – No hard border is needed and none of the parties want one

Our farms and waters will be under UK control again, our fishing fleet can rebuild

Our UK armed forces will be free of EU command structures and directed by UK needs

Archived